Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which courses from Sophia.org can be transferred to UoPeople
(09-13-2020, 08:24 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: https://www.uopeople.edu/become-student/...he-people/

Looks like they allow you to transfer up to 90 credits for a BA, but they charge you $17 per course you transfer. So for 90 credits that's $510. Not the end of the world but a decent chunk for a "free" university.

On the plus side it says evaluation of transfer credits is free so I guess you can see before you pay.

I don't have the most Sophia credits in the world but if you'll give me a couple of days I'll transfer them over and tell you what they come in as

lol, also at the end of each course you take from them you have to pay them $120 for an "assessment" fee before they give you credit for it. So why call it tuition free?

Also they've accepted me without even asking me for my SSN. Never seen that before.

Just because the school isn't charging tuition does not mean there aren't other expenses. A 4 grand bachelors is still a huge game changer, especially if they achieve regional accreditation.

Why do they need a social security number if FAFSA isn't necessary? As long as they positively identify you before conferring a degree I don't see what the problem. Also, you haven't been formally accepted until you pass the foundations courses.
You can get a BA with WGU for 4k too

I sent my transcripts to UofP 3 weeks ago and have never heard anything. Not sure what the average time is
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(10-03-2020, 09:44 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: You can get a BA with WGU for 4k too

I sent my transcripts to UofP 3 weeks ago and have never heard anything. Not sure what the average time is

I'm thinking my 3 RA transcripts were evaluated by UotP in 4 days or less. 

How does one go from 0 credits to a WGU BA for $4000? Is that with federal financial aid?

And for people just now looking at UotP, the baseline is now $4860 since the course assessment fees went up $20 a pop.
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
I guess it varies based on your financial circumstances. I just don't think a BA for 4k (or 5k like you just said) is THAT much cheaper than what you could get one for from TESU or WGU.

I have never enrolled at a college and not gotten a phone call from them, usually more like 4 or 5 phone calls. Nothing from UofP. You try to transfer stuff in, you don't hear anything. They don't have a registrar's address you can email transcripts to. It seems they want to do all their business by email and they are not super fast at answering those. The fees are deliberately disguised. It just doesn't give me a great feeling.

If they work for you then more power to you. I just think the Big Three, or WGU, or whatever is a better option.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

(10-03-2020, 12:22 PM)StoicJ Wrote:
(10-03-2020, 09:44 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: You can get a BA with WGU for 4k too

I'm thinking my 3 RA transcripts were evaluated by UotP in 4 days or less. 

How does one go from 0 credits to a WGU BA for $4000? Is that with federal financial aid?

And for people just now looking at UotP, the baseline is now $4860 since the course assessment fees went up $20 a pop.

I know a guy who got his BSBA from WGU in 6 months while working full-time, but he is also a sysadmin who doesn't work anymore because he's automated 80% of his job, so he studied ~30 hours a week AT work and another 25 hours outside work. For a rational adult who needs actual study time, it's not that easy, but you can probably do 0 to BSBA for $4,000 if you use financial aid of ~2,000 for the first sememster and spend that same $2k on alternative credits beforehand
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(10-03-2020, 10:46 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I guess it varies based on your financial circumstances. I just don't think a BA for 4k (or 5k like you just said) is THAT much cheaper than what you could get one for from TESU or WGU.

I have never enrolled at a college and not gotten a phone call from them, usually more like 4 or 5 phone calls. Nothing from UofP. You try to transfer stuff in, you don't hear anything. They don't have a registrar's address you can email transcripts to. It seems they want to do all their business by email and they are not super fast at answering those. The fees are deliberately disguised. It just doesn't give me a great feeling.

If they work for you then more power to you. I just think the Big Three, or WGU, or whatever is a better option.

Big 3 just doesn't seem like it'll work for me. TESU has a huge residency-waiver fee. Plus I'd have to take a few UL courses. Or I could go flat-rate, which is something like $775 per class x 6, and I'd have to knock them out in a certain period of time, plus pay for books (at least I had to pay when I took a TESU course a couple of years ago). Then grad fee.

WGU has the flat tuition thing, but then I'd have to cram a bunch of UL coursework into a tighter time frame than I'd like. Any option I looked at was going to start at $5k if I pushed myself, and that's without book costs. Don't know if WGU includes books in their pricing.

If I go into UotP with 72-84 applicable credits, that leaves 12-16 courses to take. 12 if I stick with BA, 16 if I switch major to CS. $100 x 16, plus transfer fees, etc, I am at maybe $2100 all in.

The format is okay so far. Things I like, things I do not. Also, still not fully committed. Next month I will get answers on degree plans, what specific courses will go where, and things like that. If I like the answers, I will commit.

(10-03-2020, 11:07 PM)Thorne Wrote: I know a guy who got his BSBA from WGU in 6 months while working full-time, but he is also a sysadmin who doesn't work anymore because he's automated 80% of his job, so he studied ~30 hours a week AT work and another 25 hours outside work. For a rational adult who needs actual study time, it's not that easy, but you can probably do 0 to BSBA for $4,000 if you use financial aid of ~2,000 for the first sememster and spend that same $2k on alternative credits beforehand

Yeah. I work, and have a wife, and a 13 yr old & 11 yr old that are "homeschooled". Plus hunting season is here.  And I need to knock out the ENEB classes. Geez, am I sure I even WANT a BSCS?  Tongue  Hopefully it works out.

Good thing there are lots of paths.
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • Thorne
I'm a member of several WGU groups and my wife is taking a Master's there now. You absolutely do not have to study 55 hours a week to finish a degree from them in 1 term.

For some reason UofP has assigned me 3 different advisors. I've emailed all of them asking about my transfer credits and none of them have answered me.

(10-05-2020, 08:55 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: For some reason UofP has assigned me 3 different advisors. I've emailed all of them asking about my transfer credits and none of them have answered me.

That sucks. You have so much alt credit!
IN PROGRESS:

DONE:

MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • jsh1138
(10-05-2020, 08:55 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm a member of several WGU groups and my wife is taking a Master's there now. You absolutely do not have to study 55 hours a week to finish a degree from them in 1 term.

For some reason UofP has assigned me 3 different advisors. I've emailed all of them asking about my transfer credits and none of them have answered me.

Well that sets a tone, doesn't it? Seems like one shouldn't expect much from them if they can't even figure out their advisor situation and those advisors don't respond.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • jsh1138
I've been seeing a lot of ads for UoP on YouTube lately. I hate to say it but they're probably more interested in helping the influx of students who have 0 transfer credits - those are easy. Just pop them in the program and go.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 857 3 hours ago
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 61,741 5 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 97 Yesterday, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 480 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,414 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 377 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 727 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 987 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 254 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 973 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab