Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which of the big 3 are cheapest if you have all credits required to graduate already?
So an update for TESU: I am admitted already and have my transcripts sent in. Hopefully next week I can get an evaluation done. They said that TESU requires 16 credit hours to be completed with them in order to graduate. The fixed-term price seems the best choice for that, but I will check with Amazon to see how that works with them. She had mentioned on the phone earlier that they offer a discounted undergraduate rate for Amazon employees. I looked on their site and it's only $350 per credit hour, which is $5600.

One thing I noticed is a "residency waiver fee" of $3288 on their website. It says if you do less than 16 credit hours with them then you pay that. https://www.tesu.edu/amazon/costs-tuition

Has anyone done that? That would be way cheaper. If I could transfer in all credit hours then it'll save me a few thousand, although I'll have to come up with that all at once.
TCC - AAS in Information Technology 2015
TCC - AAS in IT, Website Management 2015
Coursera - IBM Cybersecurity Analyst Certificate, April 2023
TESU - Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science (114 out of 120 credit hours)
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
(12-01-2022, 02:07 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: One thing I noticed is a "residency waiver fee" of $3288 on their website. It says if you do less than 16 credit hours with them then you pay that. https://www.tesu.edu/amazon/costs-tuition

Has anyone done that? That would be way cheaper. If I could transfer in all credit hours then it'll save me a few thousand, although I'll have to come up with that all at once.

I transferred in 114 credits that met degree requirements for BALS.   At TESU did the SOS110 and LIB 495 capstone (the two courses required at TESU), and paid the "residency waiver fee".  best fit of options for me to get it done.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

A lot of students have paid the waiver. But employer reimbursement often doesn't cover that fee, so many these days plan to do the single flat-rate 16-credit term, even if they have reimbursement. I can't tell if Amazon reimburses that fee or not. If they don't, you're looking at $0 for a flat-rate term or $3288 out of pocket if you only do the 6 required credits.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-01-2022, 02:07 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: One thing I noticed is a "residency waiver fee" of $3288 on their website. It says if you do less than 16 credit hours with them then you pay that. https://www.tesu.edu/amazon/costs-tuition

Yes, many, maybe even most, have. It's cheaper unless you do the 16 credits in one term thing, and honestly, a lot of people don't want to deal with that kind of workload in order to save a bit of money.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(12-01-2022, 04:29 PM)davewill Wrote:

Yes, many, maybe even most, have. It's cheaper unless you do the 16 credits in one term thing, and honestly, a lot of people don't want to deal with that kind of workload in order to save a bit of money.

Yeah that's my thing. The sooner I can get this over with the better. I am willing to take a car loan or work at my second job a little longer just to get it done with. Heck, if they accept 114 credit hours then I won't even do ASU and will just work overtime to save that up. That's how much I want to get it done with.
Eastern University or A-State or UT - Austin - Something Artificial Intelligence related most likely
[-] The following 1 user Likes Randyb100's post:
  • davewill
(12-01-2022, 04:31 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: Yeah that's my thing. The sooner I can get this over with the better. I am willing to take a car loan or work at my second job a little longer just to get it done with. Heck, if they accept 114 credit hours then I won't even do ASU and will just work overtime to save that up. That's how much I want to get it done with.

Makes sense to me. Most of the people who come here have dropped out of one or more attempts to get their degree. Therefore, I always come down on the side of taking the least risky path to getting it done. Whether that be the shortest or easiest or cheapest, depends on circumstances.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(12-01-2022, 04:39 PM)davewill Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 04:31 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: Yeah that's my thing. The sooner I can get this over with the better. I am willing to take a car loan or work at my second job a little longer just to get it done with. Heck, if they accept 114 credit hours then I won't even do ASU and will just work overtime to save that up. That's how much I want to get it done with.

Makes sense to me. Most of the people who come here have dropped out of one or more attempts to get their degree. Therefore, I always come down on the side of taking the least risky path to getting it done. Whether that be the shortest or easiest or cheapest, depends on circumstances.

Well my current job just requires a degree in anything for advancement, and most online grad schools these days no longer require a specific bachelor's. I am hoping I can do something with my degree. I'm considering supply chain management to leverage my warehousing/trucking experience but would prefer something in IT.

I do appreciate yours and everyone else's help, though. Now it's just waiting on TESU and then seeing if I should apply elsewhere before taking that route.
(12-01-2022, 02:07 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: So an update for TESU: I am admitted already and have my transcripts sent in. Hopefully next week I can get an evaluation done. They said that TESU requires 16 credit hours to be completed with them in order to graduate. The fixed-term price seems the best choice for that, but I will check with Amazon to see how that works with them. She had mentioned on the phone earlier that they offer a discounted undergraduate rate for Amazon employees. I looked on their site and it's only $350 per credit hour, which is $5600.

One thing I noticed is a "residency waiver fee" of $3288 on their website. It says if you do less than 16 credit hours with them then you pay that. https://www.tesu.edu/amazon/costs-tuition

TLDR; I didn't go back through every post, but I'll attempt to answer this anyway.

You either need 16cr of courses through TESU (residency) OR you can pay the residency waiver instead.  That way is usually more expensive, but may be worth it for some.

You have to take the cornerstone and capstone at TESU (or transfer in the cornerstone from edX if possible).  So if you're paying $350/cr, that would be $2100 + $3288 for the RW + $298 for the graduation fee, for a total of $5686.

The other option is the FT/FR of $4778, but then you'd have to take 16cr that term (cornerstone, capstone, a 1cr course like PLA-100, and then 3 additional courses of your choice, and those can be e-Pack courses if you want).

The "fastest" option is...both/neither, because it's all done in a single term either way if you want.  The cheapest is FT/FR.  The easiest would be taking the 6cr there and paying the RW.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Randyb100
(12-01-2022, 10:57 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 02:07 PM)Randyb100 Wrote: So an update for TESU: I am admitted already and have my transcripts sent in. Hopefully next week I can get an evaluation done. They said that TESU requires 16 credit hours to be completed with them in order to graduate. The fixed-term price seems the best choice for that, but I will check with Amazon to see how that works with them. She had mentioned on the phone earlier that they offer a discounted undergraduate rate for Amazon employees. I looked on their site and it's only $350 per credit hour, which is $5600.

TLDR; I didn't go back through every post, but I'll attempt to answer this anyway.

You either need 16cr of courses through TESU (residency) OR you can pay the residency waiver instead.  That way is usually more expensive, but may be worth it for some.

You have to take the cornerstone and capstone at TESU (or transfer in the cornerstone from edX if possible).  So if you're paying $350/cr, that would be $2100 + $3288 for the RW + $298 for the graduation fee, for a total of $5686.

The other option is the FT/FR of $4778, but then you'd have to take 16cr that term (cornerstone, capstone, a 1cr course like PLA-100, and then 3 additional courses of your choice, and those can be e-Pack courses if you want).

The "fastest" option is...both/neither, because it's all done in a single term either way if you want.  The cheapest is FT/FR.  The easiest would be taking the 6cr there and paying the RW.

Ok thanks. I know they do offer payment plans for some people (https://www.tesu.edu/centrastate/deferre...yment-plan) but I am not sure if this would apply to me. I'll call them again and see.

So I am already accepted. I was actually accepted the very next day! All of my transcripts were also received and marked as received the next day, so they're very on the ball about it. 

Now I just have to wait for my transcript evaluation to see what I should do.

I will then see if https://www.edx.org/course/information-literacy will apply to me and take that.

I am still enrolled in ASU but my final enroll/drop date isn't until January the 10th, so I should hopefully find out if I need a science or have to retake English 2. I may not have to take any ASU classes at all.

Then it's seeing if Amazon will pay for it, and if they'll let me do the course waiver and just take 6 credit hours, then they may pay half, so I'd only have to pay 3000 or so but have it all done. It would be fully covered if I could take 16 credit hours in a single term. It would just depend on my financial situation at the time, but it's possible.

I'll keep you all posted about how the courses transfer. Thanks again for all of your help!
  • davewill
Another update: got an email yesterday that they received all transcripts and the evaluation should be done within 5 days. That's 2 days after applying, so they are very quick.
  • TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,334 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Graduate TAMUC>UMPI graduatemore 7 566 03-21-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 385 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 891 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 599 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 343 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 418 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 258 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  A lot of credits trying to get a quick degree! Aehsahs 3 584 01-04-2024, 05:31 PM
  Advice Needed - Competency-based graduate degrees that allow acceleration priceaction 14 795 01-02-2024, 09:36 PM