Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which program?
Long time lurker, but out of the loop with the state of the art.

Asking for a friend. She works as an IT support manager and wants to have a degree in anything.
Credentials: no usable credit. She used to be a middle school teacher, but her credential came from a vocational program (in Eastern Europe) structured as a part of a high school.
She has a PMP and some computer training (mentioned ITIL). Fluent in two languages besides English (German and Romanian). Not in US (Canadian).

My intuition is to steer her to TESU BALS or maybe BSBA General Management. WGU would be great but for not being in US. I thought Purdue Global looked promising given her background, but I am not sure if one can use alternative credit there as easily. Thoughts?
I will be of little help as I know very little about TESU or WGU. That said, as an IT Support Manager, I do believe that a BSBA would be a good resume boost were she to look for employment elsewhere. If she is wanting to do the program at her own pace, then I have no suggestions. However, if she is wanting to do a program that is structured like a typical college education, the university I am getting my MBA at offers a BSBA 100% online. Some courses are 7 week accelerated courses and others are 16 week courses. It is an AACSB accredited program.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
A BALS or BSBA from any of the Big 3 would work.  It just depends on what she wants.  When you're starting from scratch, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  But I'd probably look at a degree plan and see if the courses for the BSBA interest me before dropping a lot of money on those courses.

I have a BSBA and BALS from TESU, but COSC is cheaper.

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU BALS.pdf (Size: 60.01 KB / Downloads: 5)
.pdf   TESU BSBA1 GenMan.pdf (Size: 69.53 KB / Downloads: 12)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If she likes the idea of the BSBA, but whats to keep the IT in the forefront then the BSBA CIS may be a better option than the BSBA GM.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-05-2019, 09:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A BALS or BSBA from any of the Big 3 would work.  It just depends on what she wants.  When you're starting from scratch, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  But I'd probably look at a degree plan and see if the courses for the BSBA interest me before dropping a lot of money on those courses.

Thank you! Degree plan is very helpful.

She will most probably go with COSC BSBA. It looks like at COSC, her PMP counts for an entire specialization in Project Management (3 UL courses). Hard to beat that.

Any pointers on other UL credit she'll need? It looks like Saylor will go a long way of satisfying LL requirements, including in business.
(03-07-2019, 10:45 AM)Stanislav Wrote:
(03-05-2019, 09:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote: A BALS or BSBA from any of the Big 3 would work.  It just depends on what she wants.  When you're starting from scratch, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  But I'd probably look at a degree plan and see if the courses for the BSBA interest me before dropping a lot of money on those courses.

She will most probably go with COSC BSBA. It looks like at COSC, her PMP counts for an entire specialization in Project Management (3 UL courses). Hard to beat that.

Any pointers on other UL credit she'll need? It looks like Saylor will go a long way of satisfying LL requirements, including in business.

The PMP gives her all the (9) UL credits she needs for the COSC BSBA Project Management concentration - that is definitely a smart move.  Someone here very recently posted about options to meet the gen ed requirements for COSC - you may want to do a search on the COSC itself to locate it.
Amberton University

I'm thinking that TESU's BSBA in GM will allow all of those courses in the GM Area of Study, in the MAN area.  So they'd be utilized in both degrees.

Just an FYI, COSC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree, TESU only requires 12cr of UL, and all in the AOS (so she'd need 1 add'l UL course for the entire degree).

Also, while COSC is cheaper, TESU has ACBSP accreditation for the BSBA, COSC doesn't.  Not sure if it matters for you or not, but if that's something that's important, then TESU is really your only option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Outside the US ACBSP means squat.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(03-07-2019, 11:50 AM)dfrecore Wrote:

I'm thinking that TESU's BSBA in GM will allow all of those courses in the GM Area of Study, in the MAN area.  So they'd be utilized in both degrees.

Just an FYI, COSC requires 30cr of UL throughout the degree, TESU only requires 12cr of UL, and all in the AOS (so she'd need 1 add'l UL course for the entire degree).

Also, while COSC is cheaper, TESU has ACBSP accreditation for the BSBA, COSC doesn't.  Not sure if it matters for you or not, but if that's something that's important, then TESU is really your only option.

The OPs friend doesn't have 3 UL courses in Project Management, she has the PMP certification.  I don't think TESU gives credit for the PMP (they should imo).  COSC transfers it in as 3 separate UL courses - which are part of the BSBA AOS PM Concentration.
Amberton University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need school like ASU Universal Learner Program aetosdios 8 1,284 08-08-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,119 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Am I insane for wanting to try a competency based program? Schlafen 13 1,630 01-31-2023, 12:10 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  ASU AZNext Program origamishuttle 2 1,136 01-15-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: doom
  CyberCorps Scholarship for Service (SFS) program nyvrem 0 552 08-13-2022, 10:23 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Recommendations for accredited, self-paced program sparkling 7 1,222 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New USF Certificate Program TINASAM 3 677 06-23-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Students in Columbia College’s Automotive Tech Program Get Rare Tour of Tesla LevelUP 0 421 04-23-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What to Expect in an Online Engineering Degree Program LevelUP 8 1,113 03-10-2022, 03:50 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is there a CBE program with more videos? Vle045 18 1,783 06-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Vle045