Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do most people here seem to go with TESC?
Hi everyone, I am new to this and considering Excelsior. Just a bit curious why most people here seem to go with TESC? Is it more faster/affordabel to complete the degree there using all CLEP?
For me, the main reason for completing everything through TESC was TESC had no capstone requirement for the BSBA. Excelsior requires capstones, and some exams have to be completed through them rather than via CLEP/DSST. For COSC you have to complete a cornerstone and capstone. It is really just how you want to finish your degree. TESC just worked for me. All three schools are good options, but it is up to you and what degree you want to pursue.
Degrees:
Associate: Pikes Peak Community College - Associate of General Studies 2012
Bachelors: Thomas Edison State College - BSBA (General Management) 2013 ~ Arnold Fletcher Award Recipient
Link to Degree Plan
MBA: Patten University - Master of Business Administration - Information Technology 2017
Adding to the original question, how does TESC compare to the others if the goal is graduate school in history or law?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
TESC has no advantage over the others when it comes to going to graduate school (TESC might have a slight advantage in nursing). If someone is unfamiliar with the Big 3, it helps that TESC and COSC are public schools. Excelsior is probably the most well-known out of the three. That could be a bad thing since it's known in the military for being extremely flexible (people think it offers life experience degrees). TESC also has the same reputation, but it's just a little less known than Excelsior. COSC is not well-known at all, which can be a good thing.

TESC does have the most expensive fees when you choose the Enrolled Options Plan. It looks like there is now a way to mitigate that by choosing the new Per Credit Tuition Plan which will potentially make TESC the cheapest of the Big 3 if you use TECEPs to fulfill the residency requirements. TESC is popular because

1. It accepts the most CLEPs and DSSTs as UL credit. It probably also accepts more Penn Foster and Straighterline courses and Uexcel ECEPs as UL.
2. Its degree programs require less UL credit.
3. The BSBAs at TESC still don't require a capstone.
4. TESC gives UL credits for community college courses.
5. TESC has several BA programs that are extremely flexible in allowing you to choose most of the courses to fulfill the area of study (major).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
To add to sanantone's list, they also accept FEMA credits directly. For the BA in Liberal Studies at TESC this equates to nearly a year of school for which you don't have to pay for testing fees and can be completed within two weeks (or less). COSC also excepts FEMA credits directly, but EC does not.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Yes, that is another good reason.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I chose TESC because as a New Jersey resident, I feel that earning a degree from a college in my home state looks "better".

When I initially set up my credit bank years ago for entry into the military, the ease of transcribing FEMA courses was what I needed.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
My answer was simple, I submitted my transcripts to my preferred choice Excelsior and TESC.
In the end Exc accepted none of my Air Force Community College credits in Electronics, and TESC did.

Exc has the ABET approved EET curriculum, but I would have needed to repeat almost 50 credits.
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
I am an Excelsior student at the moment. Had I researched better, I would probably be at TESC. I ran into a similar problem as scorched with Excelsior in the Technology school, but the liberal arts school was very flexible with my CCAF credits from the Air Force. Much seems to depend on your goals. If several colleges have what you are looking for, it is worth a few extra bucks to apply to several. The acceptance of credit can vary quite a bit.

On a side note. I really like Charter Oaks USNews rating.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
My reasons for TESC:
  1. Like the name. Dislike the name Excelsior
  2. State School
  3. When I was looking at schools most of the feedback I got from people on this forum was from people that were currently attending or had graduated from TESC. It seemed like I was going to get the most support here on these forums by attended TESC.

At this point I haven't paid for the TESC tuition but these accepted all my existing transfer credits at TESC so I'm pretty sure they were the right choice. They are very flexible on the credits they will except and I was able to make full use of all my years at various community colleges.
Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Management 06/2014

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,641 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,453 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,196 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,989 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,348 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,769 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,745 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,271 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,879 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,980 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77