Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do most people here seem to go with TESC?
goingforward Wrote:Hi everyone, I am new to this and considering Excelsior. Just a bit curious why most people here seem to go with TESC? Is it more faster/affordabel to complete the degree there using all CLEP?

I picked TESC for a few reasons of my own:

-Referral to the school from the testing coordinator at my DSST testing center
-They offered the degree I was looking for
-They completely blew me away with the acceptance of credits (including my community college credits and ACE credits)

Like others, I looked at the options and found that I wanted a state school and when the pieces fell together so easily on my evaluation I jumped right in without too much thought. They were excellent to work with on my degree and although we didn't agree on every course to be evaluated they surprised me on a couple that I never thought I'd use toward a degree. Add in the AAS and it was a great college for me. So far the reaction from people has been more about the fact that my college is out of state than anything against TESC.

Then again I'll have to explain why I'm not there for my masters degree. That brings me to a list of reasons beginning with price, my degree area not being offered, and wanting some more localized name recognition.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
I applied to both EC and TESC, but chose TESC because they awarded credit for courses taught. This is an unusual credit earning option that fit my situation perfectly, and was worth 27 credits $0.
To answer the original question, I personally am going with TESC because they have a virtually unlimited number of CLEP credits they will accept. This makes it relatively cheap! Smile
When I joined this forum several years ago, there was definitely an increased presence of Excelsior College students. (Many of them have graduated.) Since all 3 colleges have made significant policy changes recently, this is a great time for prospective students to evaluate all of them for the best fit. (As I always say, each has their own set of pros and cons depending on the individual's needs and wants.) It will be interesting to see how the balance shifts. Either way, this forum still represents my classmates, no matter which of the Big 3 is chosen.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
1. state school
2. name recognition
3. I like Thomas Edison
4. the Sopranos is a cool show
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I was in college on the late 90s, but I was not committed about finishing my degree then. Like any other person I was looking for alternatives where
to transfer to, so I went online and I found out about Excelsior first and Tesc second. At first I thought that Excelsior was a good alternative based
on my impression about them, their logo and colors looked cool and the program was similar to the one I was already taking. But I did not notice that
I actually hated the program that I was currently taking. Then I read TESC description of their Computer Science program without noticing at the
time that this program actually emphasized courses that were my strength and had no courses that were my weakness. Then I simply dropped out
of my college and moved to Florida, I still was obsessed with going to Excelsior (without noticing that it was for a program that I did not like).
Meanwhile I started my working life in the states. I paid over 6000$ to have my credits validaded (without noticing that TESC could have valided
everything for less than $1000). Then I worked for 6 years until 2006 still with the idea of someday going back to college but with the direction
of going to the program that I did not like (Excelsior). In the year 2007 I was back in my country, with a lot of great working experience but with
no Degree there was a ceiling on how much I could earn. First I tried ALEKS after finding this forum, I failed miserably. Then I tried the FEMAS,
I had a good amount of success with them. After that I was back in 2010 in the US and started with Straighterline, while it was no walk in the
park the courses were entertaining and doable. I consulted again this forum and took System Analysis and Design through Adams State, great
course, totally professional I passed with an A and I learned a lot. Then DANTES MIS, passed with over 95%. And finally this forum mentioned
the TEEX Cybersecurity courses which helped me to complete my BA in Computer Science.

Now, for every person the Journey will be completely different, but the process of self discovery is the same, you nee to learn your strengths,
your weaknesses and apply that to your process of selecting an educational institution.

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster." - Sun Tzu
I chose it because its affordable IMO. A years enrollment is around $5,500 for in state and you can take up 36 credits and transfer in as many credits as you want during that time period. Also I needed a degree that states computer science in it and the other 2 schools in the BIG 3 just has Information Technology and if I was looking for that degree I would've went to WGU and knocked it out for half of what I'm paying now.
Completed Western Governors University B.S Information Technology 9/14
[COLOR="#0000FF"]
Completed Thomas Edison State College A.A.S Computer Studies 6/13[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,588 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,419 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,160 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,956 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 10,293 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,744 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,700 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Think I'm Going For Associate in Arts (general studies) at TESC RA808 110 11,150 08-28-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: RA808
  TESC Liberal Arts Capstone Review hornj 13 6,776 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: mabby
  TESC BA Psychology lovewins 5 1,944 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77