Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't I see more people using The Great Courses?
diminutive Wrote:Its perplexing to me that I don't see more people taking advantage of the Great Courses series of lectures. They're super expensive but only if you purchase them straight. You can get them for the price of one Audible Credit or often for free at the local library. So far its helped me immensely on the Civil War and Soviet History DSSTs as well as somewhat on the Cybersecurity one. Also I am planning on taking the 2 American History CLEPS soon and so I'm going through those lectures.

The main thing about them is that you can listen to them so its great for mutli-tasking or when doing something boring.

I love the Great Courses!! First let me say a friend made me copies of his, so I didn't have to buy them initially- but the Anatomy and Physiology series pulled me from a possible failure when I took the courses. Anyway, what I have not yet done, but plan to do in Aug, is to sign up for their streaming program.
It's like Netflix or Amazon Prime. You get the first month free, and then pay monthly.
The real upside is that they have most of their classes in the library, but if you want to buy a DVD program,
it's 70% off, which makes them much more affordable. The streaming program allows you to download the course guides on pdf instead of getting them in paper as is the case with the DVDs.
http://thegreatcoursesplus.7eer.net/c/37...25371/3896

I agree about Annenberg/learner.org, we used that extensively this school year too, but the Great Courses are really a superior product.

Edit to add: I have also found their lectures on youtube, but that's probably not allowed.
I have used the great courses quite a bit over the years while homeschooling. They are great to use when you are in the car. I have had friends whose kids I was taking somewhere ask me, "what was that you were listening to about history in the car, (insert name here) thought it was interesting."
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
We use The Great Courses! My dad has 20 on audible (more stuff he would listen to like theology and history) and we have 20 online (science, math, history, english etc) Smile
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
Do any of you have experience with passing a CLEP exam using only The Great Courses? Do you think they're enough?
-Zapproximator

My journey to a bachelor's degree by 18 (with my flashcards, exam tips, and notes)---> bachelorsby18.wordpress.com

Super quick bio: Homeschooled teen who loves music, writing, hanging out with friends, and doing stuff outside - unless it's 80+ Wink

-------------------------
42/120 Credits
CLEP: Principles of Marketing 75, Principles of Management 66, A&I Literature 59, Intro Psychology 64, US History 1 68, US History 2 69, Sociology 61, Western Civ 1, Western Civ 2 55, Biology 51, Microecon 67, Macroecon 68, Educational Psychology 74, College Algebra (in progress), College Composition (in progress)
AP: Statistics, Spanish (both in progress)
There are several great resources for growing your knowledge in key subjects. As mentioned, most in the forum are looking for primarily free options or extremely cheap options that are focused on assisting with passing an exam. Broadening your knowledge is far less important than strengthening your test success odds.

Audible is an excellent service for books. We have several credits but as I tell my wife all the time; we pay for the credits in one way or another, so it's not actually a credit but a paid point that can be used for purchases.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
zapproximator Wrote:Do any of you have experience with passing a CLEP exam using only The Great Courses? Do you think they're enough?

It was pretty much my main resource for the Soviet History & Civil War DSSTs. I have a feeling that it won't be enough for the 2nd American History CLEP so I'm going to do the instantcert flash cards.
I think these would be difficult to use "alone" for CLEP unless you found one that was really well aligned with the exam. You have access to their table of contents on the website, so you can certainly look and see. I am a member of a Facebook Great Courses homeschool group and asked about using specific courses for testing out. Many parents there indicated it was unlikely. So, it's curriculum, not test prep- but it's excellent!

A small issue I have with audio versions used for school. First, I enjoy listening to audiobooks, podcasts, talk radio, etc. So, I'm a fan- BUT a huge problem I got (get) into is when I can't go back to reference something or when I don't see the word written. Perhaps its a name or place (basicly all proper nouns) that I've never heard- and the speaker's pronounciation of it in my mind sometimes differs from when I see it written. I don't know if I'm explaining that well, but especially with studying for a test, that is a hard way for me to learn details.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,771 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,765 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,534 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 733 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 570 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 677 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 298 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 576 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn