Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why pursue a degree from a AACSB school?
You're very ambitious. I think it depends on personality more than anything. Some people are very outgoing and that's a huge advantage over those who prefer to spend time alone and don't like dealing with a lot of people or "networking." It's a huge disadvantage.
(04-08-2018, 08:13 AM)fork Wrote: You're very ambitious. I think it depends on personality more than anything. Some people are very outgoing and that's a huge advantage over those who prefer to spend time alone and don't like dealing with a lot of people or "networking." It's a huge disadvantage.

In my field, yes, you  have to be outgoing.    But I'm also in a field with a ton of other ambitious, outgoing sales types, so it balances itself out.

I think it has more to do with constantly looking for opportunities and jumping on them.  BUT regardless of whether you're outgoing or ambitious, being in the right environment is important.   It's a lot easier to be a big fish in a small pond than live in a big pond where no one will listen.    As a woman in B2B scientific/medical sales, working at the larger companies, I would see men with a fraction of the talent, get the key assignments.   I fought as much as I could, but then ended up at a small company, which is where my career took off.   It had to do with the fact that my good work was recognized and so I was taken seriously - and when I asked for more important work to do, I could directly ask the owners or the very senior management.  I didn't have to go through a jealous middle-manager.   

And regarding networking.    It's SO much easier to do than it was in the past.   LinkedIn has changed everything.   90% of my networking is simply connecting with someone on LinkedIn - and I'm in sales, which is a field that much more heavily relies on networking.   It's just a matter of keeping in touch (via LinkedIn) with the people you've worked with.   That way, in the future, if you need a reference - or if they need a reference, it works both ways - you're set.   It takes years to build up your connections if you are relaxed about it, but it's still a great tool.  It's easy and NO face-to-face contact required!   

I'm optimistic.  I truly believe that if you're a hard worker and want to get ahead, there's a way to do it.  But as a woman in a VERY male-dominated field, I know that it can feel like everyone is against you, and they probably are in many cases.  And if you're happy in your position, there's no need to feel pressured to move up for the sake of moving up.   But if you're not, know that there are opportunities, and you really don't have to be outgoing.  But yes, probably a bit ambitious.  You need to be because you'll get turned down SO many times (if you're like me) and just have to have the drive to move past the setbacks.

Edit: Just dawned on me that anyone on this forum, who is working hard to get a quicker/cheaper/smarter education definitely has what it takes to get ahead! After all, you're smarter than 99% of degree-holders out there that took years longer and paid full price for their education.

Also, Not sure if he'll pop on, but moderator Rebel100 has a GREAT story about moving up the ladder. We were COSC grads about the same time, totally in different fields and he found ways to do it in his area.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(04-07-2018, 01:15 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I chose the "Bilingual Global MBA with a focus on emerging markets" because I really wanted an international degree, but you just don't see the demand for those, even in international positions.    So I wanted the "MBA" part of it to look good, even though my schools were not AACSB accredited.   But I have found that there is a real WOW factor with my degree since it's so unique.   If I didn't have a wow factor, I would have to make a decision on saving money or going for the degree that will network better.

I would like to know more about the "wow factor", which is a good name for it. There is a less-common degree I feel drawn to. I really want it. But I'm wondering if it might be too unusual and put me in a bad situation, like some people find if they go too specific with their degree. The one I'm thinking is basically a cross between 2-3 fields, but what if employers in each field consider my degree to be "not in the field" or only barely in the field, compared to other applicants. However, I might have to go for it for personal reasons, and in case I find an employer who appreciates the mix... and because I might be staying self-employed anyway.

(04-08-2018, 12:51 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(04-07-2018, 01:15 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I chose the "Bilingual Global MBA with a focus on emerging markets" because I really wanted an international degree, but you just don't see the demand for those, even in international positions.    So I wanted the "MBA" part of it to look good, even though my schools were not AACSB accredited.   But I have found that there is a real WOW factor with my degree since it's so unique.   If I didn't have a wow factor, I would have to make a decision on saving money or going for the degree that will network better.

I would like to know more about the "wow factor", which is a good name for it. There is a less-common degree I feel drawn to. I really want it. But I'm wondering if it might be too unusual and put me in a bad situation, like some people find if they go too specific with their degree. The one I'm thinking is basically a cross between 2-3 fields, but what if employers in each field consider my degree to be "not in the field" or only barely in the field, compared to other applicants. However, I might have to go for it for personal reasons, and in case I find an employer who appreciates the mix... and because I might be staying self-employed anyway.

You could give me all the AACSB degrees in the world and I wouldn't trade them for the WOW factor I've gotten on my degree.  It's actually almost embarassing sometime, especially when someone in a casual setting asks me about my grad school. 

I use it in my cover letters to say something like -.....Not only do I have the experience for this position, but my education, a bilingual Global MBA with a focus in emerging markets, along with the six years I spent living abroad, demonstrates that my passion lies with international business.      OR something like that.   But I always use it.     And when I get call-backs on my applications, it's usually one of the first questions the recruiter asks.   Everyone has seen an MBA, but for my field, where everyone sees big bucks in emerging markets, this is the absolute most unusual/relevant grad degree they've seen.

However, I recognize that I got really, really, lucky to find the right program at the exact right time.  There's nothing wrong with having a degree that doesn't stand out as much, since of course, the piece of paper is always what you make of it regardless.   LOL but if you do have a chance to do something unique - I would seriously consider it.    Will it hurt you to have a degree that's not recognized, or will it allow your education to really POP from your resume?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Ideas
LinkedIn terminated a friend of mine's account even after he gave an image of his ID. We aren't sure why but we think it's because he uses TOR for everything he does online. I really hate the idea of having your LIFE rely on one of these social networking sites.
(04-08-2018, 05:38 PM)fork Wrote: LinkedIn terminated a friend of mine's account even after he gave an image of his ID. We aren't sure why but we think it's because he uses TOR for everything he does online. I really hate the idea of having your LIFE rely on one of these social networking sites.

Yes, I totally agree with you.   But overall, the positives do outweigh the negatives for most people.   It used to be that you had to go to after-work events to mingle and "network."   They still have them in most places, and the cocktail hour is always an obligatory networking event at every industry conference.    However, I rarely do these anymore.  Why?  It's just not necessary.     I'll go when I already know people, in which case it's fun, but there's no need to show up nervous at an event, hoping to meet someone that will help you in some unknown future scenario.     

LinkedIn really is a great way for the introvert to be on equal terms with a wildly social extrovert.    It's also a tool that recruiters and hiring managers use to see your professional presence.   It's a great opportunity for someone who isn't quick on their feet to take their time to develop a solid online account.    It WILL be looked at before most interviews, so it's wonderful that you can start the relationship off on your terms.

But... I don't work for LinkedIn and I don't make commission from convincing people to join.  I just see the benefits and especially as you've mentioned for introverts, it's a real game-changer.   It's sad, but I have seen hiring managers discount candidates who don't have profiles.   Why don't they have a profile?  What are they hiding?  

So you can see the good or you can see the bad, but I guess a healthy mix would be some of both.   LinkedIn will eventually come and go and we'll have to keep up with the next new thing.  And hopefully that next new thing will be just as fair to introverts as LinkedIn currently is.   But whatever you think, please do consider using it.    My LinkedIn has helped me just as much if not more as my degree.   It really is who you know sometimes... or at the very least being a visible member of a professional community.
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Yenisei
(04-08-2018, 01:10 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I chose the "Bilingual Global MBA with a focus on emerging markets" because I really wanted an international degree, but you just don't see the demand for those, even in international positions.    So I wanted the "MBA" part of it to look good, even though my schools were not AACSB accredited.   But I have found that there is a real WOW factor with my degree since it's so unique.   If I didn't have a wow factor, I would have to make a decision on saving money or going for the degree that will network better.

I was wondering your thoughts on someone doing a degree like yours vs. a regular MBA but adding a specialized grad cert from a top school. Or two grad certs?

(04-13-2018, 06:38 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 01:10 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I chose the "Bilingual Global MBA with a focus on emerging markets" because I really wanted an international degree, but you just don't see the demand for those, even in international positions.    So I wanted the "MBA" part of it to look good, even though my schools were not AACSB accredited.   But I have found that there is a real WOW factor with my degree since it's so unique.   If I didn't have a wow factor, I would have to make a decision on saving money or going for the degree that will network better.

I was wondering your thoughts on someone doing a degree like yours vs. a regular MBA but adding a specialized grad cert from a top school. Or two grad certs?

As long as you know how you're going to present this on a resume, use in a cover letter, discuss in a job interview, then they could be wonderful.    The entire resume is basically a sales pitch that you need to craft into something meaningful.   When I talk about how my education and experience has prepared me for the particular job, I need to know what to present.. how to connect the dots between what I have and what they want.  

One thing you might consider if it makes sense for your field is to list your education first on your resume, or use one of the really cool side-by-side resumes.    The first category on my resume is titled "education and languages" because I feel that the education and the languages that I speak set me apart and I want employers to see those, not have them lost at the bottom of the resume.    If you ever want to see that (or the unique side by side style) send me a PM and I'll show you.    

HTH
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 896 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,851 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,356 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,023 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,868 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,284 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 782 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,543 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,245 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,188 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley