Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will ANY university/college accept 18 grad credits?
Hi all,

As of a week from now, I'll have a graduate certificate in English. It was an 18 credit program. The institution I'm graduating from does not offer a graduate degree in English, liberal arts, etc. Only an M.Ed. in Advanced Studies. I already have an M.Ed.

Anyway, I'd like to transfer as many of these credits to another university as possible. I was hopeful about the MALS at TESU, but they only accept 12 credits. That seems to be the highest out there, though.

Any recommendations?
Completed Degrees
ACE: M.Ed. Instructional Design and Technology
NAU: B.S. Public Administration

Degrees in Progress
ACE: Ed.D. Instructional Technology
TESU: B.A. English
So, I have no idea about your question, but I wanted to point something out: you are looking backwards instead of forwards, which is a mistake. Looking backwards is saying "I have these credits, who will take them so I can take fewer courses?" Looking forward is saying "how much will it cost to complete my degree?"

A TESU MA program is $668/cr. Total cost is $24,048. 12cr would save you $8,016, so the cost would be $16,032. The better question to ask is: is there a school I can go to and get a MA that would cost less than $16,032? It would either have to be a better school, or a better degree. The answer is probably yes.
-----------------------------
Another question to ask: what's the reason to get a MALS at TESU? Would this advance your career? Or are you just trying to make these credits fit into a degree? It looks like you already have a MA, so why get another one for that much money?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
I think Walden University accepts upto 24 transfer credits for its Graduate programs. You might want to check on their website.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • hlg38
You might inquire if the source school or another school would take them in transfer toward a doctorate you were interested in, as graduate credits earned apparently after a master's degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • hlg38
(03-15-2020, 10:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So, I have no idea about your question, but I wanted to point something out: you are looking backwards instead of forwards, which is a mistake.  Looking backwards is saying "I have these credits, who will take them so I can take fewer courses?" Looking forward is saying "how much will it cost to complete my degree?"

A TESU MA program is $668/cr.  Total cost is $24,048.  12cr would save you $8,016, so the cost would be $16,032.  The better question to ask is: is there a school I can go to and get a MA that would cost less than $16,032?  It would either have to be a better school, or a better degree. The answer is probably yes.
-----------------------------
Another question to ask: what's the reason to get a MALS at TESU?  Would this advance your career?  Or are you just trying to make these credits fit into a degree?  It looks like you already have a MA, so why get another one for that much money?

I was looking at TESU only because I assumed they had a generous transfer policy, and they do. However, there are many other places that cost much less that will also accept up to 12 grad credits. I obtained the 18 credits in English so I can teach at the community college level in my state (thanks HLC) but, if possible, I might as well apply them toward another degree. I do already have an M.Ed, but an MA would be a welcomed addition. Also, I work in higher education (but not at a university) so the more degrees you have, the better. A MALS, or something similar, would just be the easiest route, in my opinion.
Completed Degrees

Degrees in Progress
Interesting, I would have recommended going for another Masters if you had a MALS and wanted to go and get a M.Ed.  I basically tell people the opposite would do much for them.  I would refrain from a MALS, but if you want something similar, the MA Professional Development from Amberton allows up to 12 credits to be transferred into the program for much cheaper than TESU.

BTW, what happened to your interest in the BS in Homeland Security from Excelsior/TESU?  Are you going after that degree at either of the schools?  On the same note, if you actually want to go and get grad credits for cheap.  I explained this in one of your other thread in regards to Homeland Security.  I'll give you a different view below.

Excelsior MPA (Masters in Public Administration) allows up to 27 of 30 credits (they lowered that from 30 of 33 because they dropped a course last year from the requirements).  Anyways, to get the credits (since you're interested in a MALS) you play their ballgame this way.  Sign up for a BALS, apply for a Bach to Masters MALS, take 4 courses of 12 credits at the graduate level for the undergraduate price.  Now, you will have 12 credits in addition to transferable course towards the MPA at Excelsior.

Here's a link to that thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303806

Let's now do some calculations to find out which way you should swing things, a school like Amberton requiring 24 credits vs Excelsior, requiring 12 or less if you can transfer in some other courses into it to bring the pricing down further.   You might want to take a look at other schools as well, such as Fort Hays.
Amberton charges $265/credit, $265x24=$6360 and Excelsior charges $645/credit, $645x12=$7740
Fort Hays graduate tuition, tuition is $287.75/credit.  If you take 24, it'll be $287.75x24=$6906

You might want to read this thread on the sister board for possible options to Amberton/Fort Hays, such as Lamar University:  https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ost-533282
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Why not look into the PhD or EdD at University of the Cumberlands? The degree is in Leadership and has a concentration in English (18 credit hours). Gaining entrance with a qualifying masters degree, you could transfer in your entire concentration (they accept 18 graduate credits beyond the qualifying masters used entrance). They have great tuition rates as well at $375 per credit hour, your transfer would save you $6750 with the remainder of your degree costing $18,750 or less.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...leadership
[-] The following 2 users Like DeanLewis's post:
  • hsfamfun, SteveFoerster
(03-16-2020, 12:01 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Interesting, I would have recommended going for another Masters if you had a MALS and wanted to go and get a M.Ed.  I basically tell people the opposite would do much for them.  I would refrain from a MALS, but if you want something similar, the MA Professional Development from Amberton allows up to 12 credits to be transferred into the program for much cheaper than TESU.

BTW, what happened to your interest in the BS in Homeland Security from Excelsior/TESU?  Are you going after that degree at either of the schools?  On the same note, if you actually want to go and get grad credits for cheap.  I explained this in one of your other thread in regards to Homeland Security.  I'll give you a different view below.

Excelsior MPA (Masters in Public Administration) allows up to 27 of 30 credits (they lowered that from 30 of 33 because they dropped a course last year from the requirements).  Anyways, to get the credits (since you're interested in a MALS) you play their ballgame this way.  Sign up for a BALS, apply for a Bach to Masters MALS, take 4 courses of 12 credits at the graduate level for the undergraduate price.  Now, you will have 12 credits in addition to transferable course towards the MPA at Excelsior.

Here's a link to that thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303806

Let's now do some calculations to find out which way you should swing things, a school like Amberton requiring 24 credits vs Excelsior, requiring 12 or less if you can transfer in some other courses into it to bring the pricing down further.   You might want to take a look at other schools as well, such as Fort Hays.
Amberton charges $265/credit, $265x24=$6360 and Excelsior charges $645/credit, $645x12=$7740
Fort Hays graduate tuition, tuition is $287.75/credit.  If you take 24, it'll be $287.75x24=$6906

You might want to read this thread on the sister board for possible options to Amberton/Fort Hays, such as Lamar University:  https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ost-533282

Thanks for the practical advice! I greatly appreciate it. I will look into everything you mentioned. I'd simply just like to apply these 18 credits, if possible, to something else. Looks like these are great options. 

I am pursing the degree in Homeland Security. I'm very close. The 18 credit hours in English was something I started last fall so I could teach at my institution. At the college level, a degree in Instructional Design and Technology doesn't lend itself to many teaching opportunities, since Instructional Design isn't a major we offer. I am an Instructional Designer/Developer, however. The 18 credits in English now allow me to teach.

Thanks again!  Big Grin

(03-16-2020, 04:17 PM)DeanLewis Wrote: Why not look into the PhD or EdD at University of the Cumberlands? The degree is in Leadership and has a concentration in English (18 credit hours). Gaining entrance with a qualifying masters degree, you could transfer in your entire concentration (they accept 18 graduate credits beyond the qualifying masters used entrance). They have great tuition rates as well at $375 per credit hour, your transfer would save you $6750 with the remainder of your degree costing $18,750 or less.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/g...leadership

This is great advice, DeanLewis. Thank you. I will look into this degree option. I've been tossing around the idea of a doctorate program... not sure I want to commit just yet. But, hey, maybe now's the time!
Completed Degrees

Degrees in Progress
[-] The following 1 user Likes hlg38's post:
  • SteveFoerster
(03-15-2020, 10:24 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: You might inquire if the source school or another school would take them in transfer toward a doctorate you were interested in, as graduate credits earned apparently after a master's degree.

The University of the Cumberlands would likely accept those 18 post-Master's credits as fulfilling the concentration requirements for their PhD in Leadership, which means saving a year's worth of time and money.

Edit: If I'd read the whole thread first, I'd have seen that advice was already offered. Well, I second that! :-)
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • DeanLewis
Marshall University MA in Leadership Studies, 12 credit transfer and cost to finish the remaining six courses is $7,200.00. You can finish in two semesters.

Liberty has a MA in English

https://www.liberty.edu/media/1270/MENG-MA-R.pdf

Not sure what courses you took, but they will accept up to 50%
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • hlg38

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 256 Yesterday, 12:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,093 03-27-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Does WES USA accept MBA from UCAM? soulblader 11 346 03-26-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 284 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,467 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 200 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,851 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,190 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,986 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel