Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will COSC accepts my foreign credits as Non-Ace credits?
Yes but my foreign credits are non gen eds but major credits.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetsugarNL's post:
  • cecilgambe7
(08-03-2020, 08:56 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Yes but my foreign credits  are non gen eds but major credits.

Then, you totally need to transfer it
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
Yes i try haha.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
(08-02-2020, 12:36 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 11:41 AM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Excelsior ask toefl 69.

Or 9 RA credits: 

COMPLETION OF AT LEAST 9 CREDIT HOURS OF ACADEMIC WORK
In courses delivered in English at an institution of higher education in the United States.

TOEFL is about 300 usd, 3 courses (9 credits) at ASU is the same, so now it is better to spend the TOEFL money in ASU if you are looking for EC.

EC is ok for me but in order to save some money im also considering COSC, but with new 30 RA credits request it becames for difficult to me.

Hello! I'm in the same boat as OP as I'm looking to transfer credits earned from abroad and am also curious if they count towards the 90 credit limit or not.

This is the first I've heard of ASU, what is ASU might I ask?
(08-04-2020, 09:36 AM)daharamu Wrote: Hello! I'm in the same boat as OP as I'm looking to transfer credits earned from abroad and am also curious if they count towards the 90 credit limit or not.

ASU is Arizona State University. They are a regionally accredited 4-year university. They have something called "Earned Admissions" which you can read about here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...Admissions

Right now, they have a deal where certain classes are a flat $99. This includes self-paced courses started before August 25th and any/all other instructor-led courses that start on August 18th. Since you don't have to pay until after the final exam has been taken and ONLY if you actually want the grade to go on your transcript, this is a very good deal! $33 (or $25 per credit for Astronomy and Chemistry) is cheaper than pretty much any community college offering.
To share new information about the topic ...

COSC never responded to my email requesting clarification regarding international credits.

On the other hand, I asked in the COSC page chat, the person in the chat told me that international credits can be transferred, but that I still need 30 RA US credits.

(I know that the information received in the COSC page chat is not entirely reliable, but it is the only reply i get about this issue)
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
(08-04-2020, 09:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-04-2020, 09:36 AM)daharamu Wrote: Hello! I'm in the same boat as OP as I'm looking to transfer credits earned from abroad and am also curious if they count towards the 90 credit limit or not.

ASU is Arizona State University. They are a regionally accredited 4-year university. They have something called "Earned Admissions" which you can read about here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ar...Admissions

Right now, they have a deal where certain classes are a flat $99. This includes self-paced courses started before August 25th and any/all other instructor-led courses that start on August 18th. Since you don't have to pay until after the final exam has been taken and ONLY if you actually want the grade to go on your transcript, this is a very good deal! $33 (or $25 per credit for Astronomy and Chemistry) is cheaper than pretty much any community college offering.

Wow, this is a great deal! I will sign up for this since I will need to take 4 courses after the 90 credit limit, supposing my foreign earned credits won't transfer. Thank you so much for letting me know! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes daharamu's post:
  • rachel83az
If you need 4, I would suggest you pick 5 to study. Even though they're relatively easy 100-level courses, you can't know how well you'll do ahead of time. I didn't do as well as I thought I would do on Astronomy due to the lab component. The maths were suprisingly difficult and not well explained (IMO). At one point, I wasn't sure that I'd even get a C in the class, but I barely managed to get a B.

Actually, since this is the last chance to get these classes for such a low price, I'd actually suggest signing up for 6 or 7 classes. The first week will be difficult but, in the second week, you can drop the 3 or 4 that you think will be the most difficult. Since it doesn't cost anything to sign up, there is no penalty for doing this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • daharamu
(08-05-2020, 07:31 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you need 4, I would suggest you pick 5 to study. Even though they're relatively easy 100-level courses, you can't know how well you'll do ahead of time. I didn't do as well as I thought I would do on Astronomy due to the lab component. The maths were suprisingly difficult and not well explained (IMO). At one point, I wasn't sure that I'd even get a C in the class, but I barely managed to get a B.

Actually, since this is the last chance to get these classes for such a low price, I'd actually suggest signing up for 6 or 7 classes. The first week will be difficult but, in the second week, you can drop the 3 or 4 that you think will be the most difficult. Since it doesn't cost anything to sign up, there is no penalty for doing this.

Sorry for the late response. This is great advice! I only need 4 but I think I will pick 5 to study to make sure I'll pass. Thanks! Big Grin

(07-21-2020, 05:35 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: As most of you know, recently COSC changes the rules, and the 90-ACE/30 Non ACE credits is the most polemic change.

Now I'm looking more to the side of EC, but I don't rule out COSC entirely, specially because of lower prices.

The problem is to collect the 30 non-ACE credits.

My queston is, will they take my 19 foreign credits as non-ACE credits??

Because if so I can get the others with ASU.

I'm a student at COSC and am in the same boat as you. I remember reading that foreign credit must be transferred through ECE or WES, so I asked the school about it and they replied:

"If you have your foreign credits evaluated through ECE or WES and it is deemed that the University has the equivalent of US regional accreditation, then the courses are transferable. Because they would have been earned at an Institution with the equivalent of US Regional Accreditation, they would be treated the same as credits from a US School and won’t be limited according to the policy you are referring to. That policy applies to course providers that are NOT colleges and are not subject to the standards of accreditation."

The policy I was referring to was the 90-ACE credit rule, and it looks like credits evaluated through ECE or WES don't apply to this, so good news it looks like! Big Grin
I'm studying at COSC and planning on graduating with a BS in Liberal Arts. So far I have completed:

Sophia: Accounting, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Approaches to Studying Religions, Art History I, Art History II, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, English Composition I, Environmental Science, Human Biology, Introduction to Business, Introduction to Ethics, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Statistics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Project Management, Public Speaking, US History II, and Visual Communications. 

ASU Earned Admission: AST 111 Introduction to Solar Systems Astronomy, COM 100 Introduction to Human Communication, ENG 102 English Composition: Research and Writing, and CIS 105 Computer Applications and Information Technology.

Study.com: BUS 302, BUS 312, BUS 313, BUS 318, BUS 323, PSY 306, PSY 310, PSY 312, PSY 316.

COSC: IDS 101 Cornerstone

Other RA credits transferred: HIS122, PSY101, FLN125, PHL220, ITE213

Up Next: ISB-498 & ISB-499 at COSC
[-] The following 2 users Like daharamu's post:
  • cecilgambe7, rachel83az
(08-16-2020, 02:33 AM)daharamu Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 07:31 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you need 4, I would suggest you pick 5 to study. Even though they're relatively easy 100-level courses, you can't know how well you'll do ahead of time. I didn't do as well as I thought I would do on Astronomy due to the lab component. The maths were suprisingly difficult and not well explained (IMO). At one point, I wasn't sure that I'd even get a C in the class, but I barely managed to get a B.

Sorry for the late response. This is great advice! I only need 4 but I think I will pick 5 to study to make sure I'll pass. Thanks! Big Grin

(07-21-2020, 05:35 PM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: As most of you know, recently COSC changes the rules, and the 90-ACE/30 Non ACE credits is the most polemic change.

Now I'm looking more to the side of EC, but I don't rule out COSC entirely, specially because of lower prices.

The problem is to collect the 30 non-ACE credits.

My queston is, will they take my 19 foreign credits as non-ACE credits??

Because if so I can get the others with ASU.

I'm a student at COSC and am in the same boat as you. I remember reading that foreign credit must be transferred through ECE or WES, so I asked the school about it and they replied:

"If you have your foreign credits evaluated through ECE or WES and it is deemed that the University has the equivalent of US regional accreditation, then the courses are transferable. Because they would have been earned at an Institution with the equivalent of US Regional Accreditation, they would be treated the same as credits from a US School and won’t be limited according to the policy you are referring to. That policy applies to course providers that are NOT colleges and are not subject to the standards of accreditation."

The policy I was referring to was the 90-ACE credit rule, and it looks like credits evaluated through ECE or WES don't apply to this, so good news it looks like! Big Grin
So it means your foreign credits will cover 30 RA credit rule if they are evaluated as US RA equivalent. And you dont need any additional courses from ASU unless you want to have extra courses

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,680 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,284 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,641 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,162 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso