Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Excelsior Accept LSU's 3082 Abnormal Psych for Upper Level Credit?
Hi All,

I am in the process of accumulating credits to complete my BA/BS degree at Excelsior College - I'm not an enrolled student, just working on my own. I presently have 9 lower level Psych credits (the three Psych CLEP tests) and am considering taking LSU's online class - 3082 Introduction to Abnormal Psychology - to fullfill my upper level Psychology depth requirement.

Any opinions as far as Excelsior accepting this course for upper level credit? If there is any doubt, I'll work toward taking the ECE in Abnormal Psych instead. I would prefer the LSU course since it "splits" the topic into three smaller sections and has no essay or project requirements - all good news for my study/learning style...

Thanks so much!Smile
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
Hi Suzq2,

That depends, if it is an upper level credit from a regionally accredited school it should be fine. Obviously LSU is accredited, the issue arises when it comes to requesting transcripts from LSU for the course. As an enrolled student at Excelsior the key thing is always get in writing approval for a course from your advisor. If you enroll under POAG enrollment is $180 for the year it takes about two months to get things rolling at Excelsior but when it comes to Upper level credits I'm planning on taking the advisors written word to the bank. If you can take the LSU course and apply the knowledge to the ECE test that's cool but if it isn't approved you end up paying for a class you can't use. Each Excelsior College student enrolls under a particular catalog and requirements under the new catalog are slightly different than the one I enrolled under for my business degree. A recent debate here saw myself and another student ask two different advisors about CLEP natural science and CLEP Biology. One section deems it a duplication of credit were my business course will allow me to take both and apply them to my science requirements. In the end it boils down to time and cost. Prepping for the ECE exam costs nothing and the cost for the exam has been reduced. If you fail the exam you can always take the class later.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
In addition, if you've got 90 credits already you're only 30 short of graduating so enroll and find out what courses will work for you.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
I got approval for it at Excelsior, but then decided to take the TECEP test in Abnormal Psych for $99 instead.
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

EI2HCB Wrote:Hi Suzq2,

That depends, if it is an upper level credit from a regionally accredited school it should be fine. Obviously LSU is accredited, the issue arises when it comes to requesting transcripts from LSU for the course. As an enrolled student at Excelsior the key thing is always get in writing approval for a course from your advisor. If you enroll under POAG enrollment is $180 for the year it takes about two months to get things rolling at Excelsior but when it comes to Upper level credits I'm planning on taking the advisors written word to the bank. If you can take the LSU course and apply the knowledge to the ECE test that's cool but if it isn't approved you end up paying for a class you can't use. Each Excelsior College student enrolls under a particular catalog and requirements under the new catalog are slightly different than the one I enrolled under for my business degree. A recent debate here saw myself and another student ask two different advisors about CLEP natural science and CLEP Biology. One section deems it a duplication of credit were my business course will allow me to take both and apply them to my science requirements. In the end it boils down to time and cost. Prepping for the ECE exam costs nothing and the cost for the exam has been reduced. If you fail the exam you can always take the class later.

Thanks so much for your in depth and informative response...I'll definitely take your points under consideration before making my decision. As my ability to work on my degree occasionally gets stalled due to work/family issues, I planned to wait until I completed half of my upper-level credits before enrolling, but I can see the benefits early enrollment has as far as course approval goes.

Again, many thanks for the help!
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
GoodYellowDogs Wrote:I got approval for it at Excelsior, but then decided to take the TECEP test in Abnormal Psych for $99 instead.

Great news regarding the LSU course. Thanks so much, Denise! I'm assuming cost was the reason you decided on the TECEP test? As Abnormal Psych would be my first attempt at an upper level course, I was looking for the path of least stress, and the ECE seemed a bit intimidating. I thought the LSU class would suit my slow study style a bit better and give me a chance to try a online course before getting back to testing.

It looks like you're close to completing your degree goal - Fantastic!

I see you've taken both CLEP tests and ECE's - have you found the ECE's to be a lot more difficult than the CLEP tests?

Thanks again!
2011-12  CLEP

I didn't think the ECE was any more difficult than CLEP or DSST. I'm actually taking the TECEP based on the sample questions available for ECEs, TECEP, and other classes. The TECEP seemed the easiest. We'll know soon - I'm taking it in 10 days!

SuZQ2 Wrote:Great news regarding the LSU course. Thanks so much, Denise! I'm assuming cost was the reason you decided on the TECEP test? As Abnormal Psych would be my first attempt at an upper level course, I was looking for the path of least stress, and the ECE seemed a bit intimidating. I thought the LSU class would suit my slow study style a bit better and give me a chance to try a online course before getting back to testing.

It looks like you're close to completing your degree goal - Fantastic!

I see you've taken both CLEP tests and ECE's - have you found the ECE's to be a lot more difficult than the CLEP tests?

Thanks again!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,819 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,371 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA PSYCH AOS? Mab81 1 1,255 09-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,059 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,041 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,818 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,638 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 1,977 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,801 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Need one more BALS Upper Level badooble 12 3,061 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Last Post: quigongene