Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will TESC accept DSST Intro to Comp. and CLEP Info Sys and Comp Apps toward a degree?
Hi,

It's my understanding that TECS does not grant credit for both of these courses toward BSBA in Computer Info. Systems. :confused: It this correct? If not, can one be used toward satisfying Computer Concepts and Application requirement and the other as a business elective?

Thanks in advance,
bcaptain78
Todd Siben (advisor) told me maybe 6 months ago that the 3 credit CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications now issues credit as COS101, while it previously was CIS101. This change mans that it now duplicates the 3 credit DSST exam Introduction to Computing which is also COS101. In that case, you have to choose 1 of the exams, you can't take both.

You can take the DSST Management Information Systems which comes in as CIS301, a 3 credit business elective.
cookderosa Wrote:Todd Siben (advisor) told me maybe 6 months ago that the 3 credit CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications now issues credit as COS101, while it previously was CIS101. This change mans that it now duplicates the 3 credit DSST exam Introduction to Computing which is also COS101. In that case, you have to choose 1 of the exams, you can't take both.

You can take the DSST Management Information Systems which comes in as CIS301, a 3 credit business elective.

The DSST Management Information Systems exam would apply as an Area of Study elective in the BSBA Computer Information Systems degree plan.

Credit Distribution BSBA CIS
SWarehouse Wrote:The DSST Management Information Systems exam would apply as an Area of Study elective in the BSBA Computer Information Systems degree plan.

Credit Distribution BSBA CIS
>>

Yes, let me take back what I said. My advisor's advice to me was specific to a bachelor of arts track. SORRY for any confusion!!!
Thank you guys for clarification! I will then only take DSST Intro to Computers and DSST MIS.

Thanks again,
bcaptain78
[QUOTE=cookderosa]Todd Siben (advisor) told me maybe 6 months ago that the 3 credit CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications now issues credit as COS101, while it previously was CIS101. This change mans that it now duplicates the 3 credit DSST exam Introduction to Computing which is also COS101. In that case, you have to choose 1 of the exams, you can't take both.

Since TESC awards COS-101 credit for both tests, which of the two tests is easier: DSST Introduction to computers or CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications?

Does anyone have any addition study prep suggestions (for the easier test)?
TSJ Wrote:Since TESC awards COS-101 credit for both tests, which of the two tests is easier: DSST Introduction to computers or CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications?

Does anyone have any addition study prep suggestions (for the easier test)?

I took both and don't recall a significant difference in terms of difficulty. The DSST Fact Sheets http://www.getcollegecredit.com/download...080509.pdf are often helpful AND I prefer the software interface for the DSST exams. Finally, the DSST exams provide only four possible answers per question. The CLEP exams provide five. My preference would be the DSST exam.
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,203 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,871 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,089 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,008 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  TESU received my DSST transcript - do I need to do anything? Kelly Green 8 2,310 08-29-2018, 12:02 AM
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM