Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will TESC accept Straighterline due to ACE approval?
I am getting close to finishing all of my requirements for a BA in Liberal Studies from TESC, (pending evaluation). I still need 6 credits for English Composition, (ENG-101 & ENG-102), and 3 mathematics credits.

Now that Straighterline has been ACE approved, does that mean that TESC would accept these courses and they could fulfill the English Composition and math requirements?

I am currently studying for the CLEP English Composition w/Essay exam, but due to this phobia I have with timed essays and math, the Straighterline courses could be an alternative if they would be accepted.

Thanks,
-Jeff
As long as these courses are on an ACE transcript I would say yes. If they take ALEKS I don't see why they wouldn't take courses from Straighterline. However, I would check with a TESC advisor because they should be able to tell you for sure. Good luck and congrats! When do you think you'll be finished? I'm still on track for June of this year myself. Big Grin
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Thanks IrishJohn! Good luck to you as well. I would like to be finished by March of this year. I only need English Comp and Math credits. I have been able to get through a number of exams but have put off the two that I fear most till the end. Probably not a good idea, but that is what I have to deal with now. You are right, it is probably best to get TESC's blessing before pursuing that route. I plan on trying to CLEP out of the English and Math requirements, but I always like to have a backup plan just in case.
-Jeff
For some reason I got the impression that TESC takes any class that is approved by ACE. Am I wrong?
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
rickyjo Wrote:For some reason I got the impression that TESC takes any class that is approved by ACE. Am I wrong?

ACE approval is a good sign, but acceptance of credits is always up to the school. ACE is a credit recommendation, and a good one, but not a guarantee. The individual school always has final say. Policies differ from school to school, and TESC is no exception.

Getting written pre-approval from an adviser is always a good idea!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
I sent the following question to TESC:

Quote:Could you tell me if the ACE recommended courses from
StraighterLine satisfy the requirements for English Composition I at Thomas Edison
State College? See description below.

English
Composition I(ENG101)

Credit Type: Course
ACE Course Number: 0005
Organization: StraighterLine
Length: Courses are the
equivalent of a full-semester - about 48 hours of student work over a 14
week period. However, the self-paced nature of the course allows students
to proceed as quickly or as slowly as they choose.
Dates Offered: 5/1/2008 - Present
Description: 48 hours. Students
will be able to explain and identify the steps involved in the writing
process; understand various types of writing including argumentative,
compare/contrast, descriptive, narrative, persuasive, and summary;
understand the correct use of research and the MLA citation process; and be
able to develop and organize essays that include a well-written
introduction (including a clear thesis statement), body, and conclusion.

Answer from TESC was:

Quote:Jeffrey,
This course appears to meet our criteria for ENC-101.
Regards,
Andrea O. Mirsky, M.Ed.
Academic Program Advisor

I did not ask about ENG102 from Straighterline, but I would assume that if Straighterline's ENG101 satisfies the requirement so would ENG102. So this may be another option for those who need it.

Would it be safe to consider this TESC's blessing to proceed with these classes?
-Jeff
Great news, English is the one I fear the most. I think clep is not even an option. banghead

CLEP
Intro to Psychology 53/50
Intro to Management 59/50
Intro to Sociology 62/50
Humanities 54/50

DSST
Intro to Computing 56/45
World Religions 405/400

FEMA

Community College 9 sm hours Gen Elective

[SIZE="5"]CREDITS[/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"]49/120[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,048 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,582 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,611 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,095 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,050 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99
  Will TESU accept both ENS-200 and ENS-201? Merlin 2 981 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,418 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,157 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  COSC & Straighterline Transcripts MichiganMax 4 1,543 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: triforce828
  TESU not accepting straighterline email transcript dropout2PE2BSBA 2 1,290 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Last Post: dropout2PE2BSBA