Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will TESC accept a "D" in intermediate Algebra
cookderosa Wrote:Math courses never expire at TESC, and they will accept the grade of D in transfer. According to the written policy, it should be an acceptable transfer credit to meet the gen ed math requirement. Also, the "D" is not brought with it, only the credit, so it will not be part of your TESC GPA.

If they do not accept it, please press the issue and ask for clarification, since the policy says otherwise.

Finally, if you end up needing math credit, an entirely painless way will be through the completion of the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra course, done at home on your own computer without time restraints. Many people can complete this 3 credit course in 1 month, for a cost of only $20.

HUGE EDIT!! I hope everyone has read the thread about ALEKS, but ALEKS will no longer count at TESC if completed after 9/30/2013.
I took Intermediate Algebra at Brigham Young University several years ago and just about managed to get a C.

TESC did NOT include this course on my evaluation at all, which I think is because BYU considers Intermediate Algebra "below" university level and therefore calls it MATH097, when all college level courses are XXX100 and above at BYU.

I haven't asked TESC about this as I was planning to complete both Intermediate and College Algebra via ALEKS (and would have no chance to pass College Algebra without re-taking Intermediate anyway), but if ALEKS won't renew with ACE I may have to try to convince TESC to accept my BYU course.

Those of you who had TESC accept Intermediate Algebra, would you mind sharing where you took it and what course number it was? Thanks very much!
BA in Social Sciences at TESC, June 2014 (Arnold Fletcher Award)

CLEP
American Government 51, Intro Psychology 59, A&I Literature 71, Human Growth & Development 55, Intro Sociology 70, German Language 80, English Comp w/ Essay 61, S[SIZE=1]ocial Sciences and History 75, History of the US I 57, History of the US II[/SIZE] 59
DSST
Personal Finance 63, Biz Math 70, Intro To Biz 65, Intro To Computing 74, Intro To World Religions 408, Environment And Humanity 61, Ethics In America 437, Human Resource Management 62, Org Behavior 60, Principles of Supervision 441, Biz Ethics and Society 452, Here's To Your Health 465, Substance Abuse 429,
Human/Cultural Geography 66, Western Europe since 1945 70, Intro to the Modern Middle East 61, History of the Vietnam War 60, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Civil War and Reconstruction 50
BYU
Geog120 World Regional Geography A-
ALEKS
Intermediate + College Algebra
TEEX
Cyber Security (6 courses-4 sh)
TESC
LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone B+
Beate Wrote:I took Intermediate Algebra at Brigham Young University several years ago and just about managed to get a C.

TESC did NOT include this course on my evaluation at all, which I think is because BYU considers Intermediate Algebra "below" university level and therefore calls it MATH097, when all college level courses are XXX100 and above at BYU.

I haven't asked TESC about this as I was planning to complete both Intermediate and College Algebra via ALEKS (and would have no chance to pass College Algebra without re-taking Intermediate anyway), but if ALEKS won't renew with ACE I may have to try to convince TESC to accept my BYU course.

Those of you who had TESC accept Intermediate Algebra, would you mind sharing where you took it and what course number it was? Thanks very much!

The reason TESC isn't taking your BYU course is because the number portion is under 100. Sorry, I can't imagine a scenario in which they'd take it.
They should. They accepted my D from community college in Accounting 1A (1st semester accounting).
My TESC Roadmap
Bold means completed
This is a little off subject, but it may be worth consideration. If I had a D in intermediate Algebra, I would try passing the College Mathematics CLEP. If you are able to pass, it would prevent the drag on the GPA and it is worth 6 credits.

note: I am an Excelsior student, so this is not coming from TESC experience.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
UptonSinclair Wrote:This is a little off subject, but it may be worth consideration. If I had a D in intermediate Algebra, I would try passing the College Mathematics CLEP. If you are able to pass, it would prevent the drag on the GPA and it is worth 6 credits.

note: I am an Excelsior student, so this is not coming from TESC experience.

TESC GPA won't be effected by the transfer, transfer grades come in as credit only. It's no different than bringing in a CLEP. However, if the OP want's to bury the D, your idea would work as long as the OP doesn't have anything else on the transcript that he needs, essentially just "forgetting" to send TESC the transcript as if it never happened. That said, it still exists as a D, so if the OP applies for grad school and is asked to produce ALL transcripts, he'll have to do that no matter what.
cookderosa Wrote:HUGE EDIT!! I hope everyone has read the thread about ALEKS, but ALEKS will no longer count at TESC if completed after 9/30/2013.

i e-mailed and called tesc yesterday and they said they still accept Aleks.... what are you talking about?
Working towards TESC ASBA, then a BSBA General Management
DigitalSam Wrote:They should. They accepted my D from community college in Accounting 1A (1st semester accounting).

Which degree are you going after or did you get that they accepted this D?

Thanks,

- Bo
Working towards TESC ASBA, then a BSBA General Management
bojangle Wrote:i e-mailed and called tesc yesterday and they said they still accept Aleks.... what are you talking about?

They will only accept ALEKS if it's on an ACE transcript. If the approval has expired before you complete the course, it will not be on an ACE transcript. For a week or two, it's been showing that the approval expired on 09/30/2013. It was just extended to 10/31/2013. If ALEKS does not get its courses reapproved, they are no good for college credit anywhere.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,084 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU gen. ed. algebra requirement alternatives? kietro 5 1,710 07-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rckola911
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,157 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,628 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Does Excelsior College/Charter Oak accept TECEP vetvso 1 1,645 05-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Are there any Programming Language courses in Python that TESU will accept? camjenks 2 1,120 04-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Sapientes
  TESU doesn't accept ACE transcripts of Study.com courses? jsh1138 35 8,099 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Last Post: tekplay99
  Will TESU accept both ENS-200 and ENS-201? Merlin 2 1,000 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Merlin
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,445 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,183 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill