Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will TESC let me take more classes than required?
I am close to the finish line. Capstone, War and American Society, and a Math should do it. Since that won't take the whole year, can I take some classes just for me? Just because?
I am thinking of taking 3 tests and 2 classes after graduation to get a Human Resources Certificate, but say I want to take French or Psychology? Can I take a class that won't fit into my degree or certificate plan?
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
Depending on where you are with your enrollment dates, you can have whatever certificate/degrees added while in the program your in. I myself will be doing 3 degrees "at the same time" in order to be grandfathered in with the current easier to test out of gen ed requirements. From what I understand, it doesn't cost you anything, you just pay the enrollment fee and then do your classes.

If you look at the Degree Wiki, Bricabrac did that with the AAS degree while enrolled and completing a BSBA - just plan for whatever you want to do and if possible, while you are still paid up with your enrollment (would hate to see you need to pay that again if you don't need to). When I say plan, I mean officially through an adviser. And below is the link right to the TESC plans with Bricabrac's plans being at the top.

http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/TESC_Degree_Plans
Thank you! I thought you had to complete one degree before starting another....
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

Lyanne Wrote:I am close to the finish line. Capstone, War and American Society, and a Math should do it. Since that won't take the whole year, can I take some classes just for me? Just because?
I am thinking of taking 3 tests and 2 classes after graduation to get a Human Resources Certificate, but say I want to take French or Psychology? Can I take a class that won't fit into my degree or certificate plan?
Are you on Comprehensive Tuition? If so, you can take anything you want up to 36 credits per year. Otherwise, what makes you think you can't take any course you want? As long as you pay, why in the world would TESC care whether the course applies to a degree or not? I'm not sure why you'd want to take personal interest courses through TESC though, unless you qualify for NJ resident tuition.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Lyanne Wrote:I am close to the finish line. Capstone, War and American Society, and a Math should do it. Since that won't take the whole year, can I take some classes just for me? Just because?

Yes! I had several courses that didn't count but were on my transcript. Also, you are correct about additional certs/degrees, but if you're taking them just for you then who cares if they count?
Lyanne Wrote:Thank you! I thought you had to complete one degree before starting another....

If you want to use these credits towards a second degree then you cannot take them until your first degree is conferred. If you are taking them "just for me? Just because?", as you say in your first post, then you do not need to worry about this and can just go ahead.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
cookderosa Wrote:Yes! I had several courses that didn't count but were on my transcript. Also, you are correct about additional certs/degrees, but if you're taking them just for you then who cares if they count?

I don't care if they count, I was worried that they wouldn't even let me enroll.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
CLEP (48)
Other (43)
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

Yanji Wrote:Are you on Comprehensive Tuition? If so, you can take anything you want up to 36 credits per year. Otherwise, what makes you think you can't take any course you want? As long as you pay, why in the world would TESC care whether the course applies to a degree or not? I'm not sure why you'd want to take personal interest courses through TESC though, unless you qualify for NJ resident tuition.

Even out of state tuition is cheaper than classes in my state, because I want to take upper level so CC is not an option.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
CLEP (48)
Other (43)
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

After I finished my BA in Science Math I took a couple of math courses through ALEKS because I needed them for something else. TESC had no problem with adding those credits to my transcript and later used some of them towards my AAS . They were also counting some of them towards the Social Science BA I was planning.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,108 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,631 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,688 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Where do they Fall? Classes BSBRose21 1 1,107 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,615 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  Anyone take classes at DMACC upper-level, for under $200 online frank.f.franky 5 1,987 03-21-2018, 11:23 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,446 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,189 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes? scout2family 11 2,944 01-31-2018, 03:32 PM
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 3,982 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM