Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will any of these courses apply to my TESU degree?
Hello,

First off if this is not allowed, I sincerely apologize. I've been stalking this forum for some time now and it has been invaluable to my journey to complete my degree. I am planning on enrolling in TESU's Account BSBA program in January 2018 but I'd like to knock out as many inexpensive classes as I can. Currently I am taking the following at NMJC:

Intermediate Algebra
Intro to Sociology
American History II

Before I register for Summer classes I would like to know how my previous credits would apply to TESU's degree. I will be also reaching out to TESU directly but I do not have my transcripts at this time. Here are my previous courses and their descriptions:

CC 11 - Classical Cultures
Introductory study of ancient cultures through close reading of a variety of texts; most sections will focus on Greece and Rome, but some may explore other classical traditions such as those of India, Mesopotamia or China. Attention to such questions as literary genre, material and performance contexts, gender, political institutions, religion, philosophy, models of culture and the creation of a classical tradition. Practice in close reading and communication by means of critical writing, class discussion and other methods, such as collaborative group work.

CC 21 - Knowledge, Reality and Values
Philosophy's distinctive ways of understanding and thinking about perennial human questions: "What can I know?"; "What is real?"; "What is the basis of moral judgments?"; Contemporary and traditional examples of philosophical analysis and criticism.

CC 23 - People, Power, and Politics
Introduction to social science concepts through the study of power, authority, and social organization in U.S. society. Emphasis on the interaction of government and civil society. Readings focus on primary documents concerning the role of social class, race, and gender in the construction of social and political inequality. (Not open to students who have completed Core Studies 3.)

CC 312 - Cmptg: Nat, Pwr, Lmt
The nature, power and limits of the computer and computing. The components of the computer. Information representation. Computer networks, the Internet, and the World Wide Web. The nature of algorithms, problem-solving, and computer programming. Feasibility and computability. Computer and network security and privacy.

CIS 5.2 - Int Cmptr Applctns
Introduction to the use of the computer in the home and office. Computer literacy. Word processing, database systems, and spreadsheets. Examination and evaluation of computer peripherals and software for personal computers

ENG 1 - English Composition I
Workshop in expository writing: strategies of, and practice in, analytical reading and writing about texts. Fundamentals of grammar and syntax. Frequent assignments in writing summaries, analyses, comparisons of texts, and such other expository forms as narration, description, and argumentation. Emphasis on writing as a process: invention, revision, editing.

ENG 2 - Composition 2
Writing-intensive seminar focusing on a topic chosen by the instructor. Provides students with an opportunity to explore a particular subject in depth and further develop skills of critical thinking, research techniques, and clear expression necessary for academic writing. Students should take English 2 directly after completing English 1. Topics include: The Fool in Literature; Reading the City; 1960s: Decade of Revolt; Novels of the Jazz Age; Cross-Cultural Writing and the Arts.

PHIL 8 - Race, Justice, and Equality
A philosophical examination of race and racism centered around the moral values of justice and equality. Topics addressed include race as a social category, racial identity, the nature of racism, race neutrality and race consciousness, multiculturalism, and the relationships among values such as fairness, equality, and well-being. Contrasting points of view on measures designed to counter racism, including civil disobedience, affirmative action, racial reparations, and race-based restrictions on speech.

PSY 11 - Introductory Psychology
An introduction to the major facts, principles, methods, and theories of psychology. Topics include the history of psychology, sensory and perceptual processes, learning and cognition, motivation and emotion, psychological development, clinical and abnormal psychology, and biological, social, and personality determinants of behavior.

PSY 20 - Introductory Child Psychology
Principal features of the psychological development of children. Lectures, discussions, class period observations.

PSY 30 - Abnormal Psychology I
Major forms of behavior pathology. Their sociobiological origins and development and their relationship to personality.

TVR 165 - Indstry, Instit, Aud
Development of broadcast systems from radio through the Internet. Technological and aesthetic innovations, socio-economic forces, government, private industry, advertisers, creative producers, and audiences from a historical perspective. U.S. and global perspectives.

TVR 65 - Introduction to Mass Media
Survey of the history, industry practices, and controversies involved in the media of mass communication. Mainstream mass media of books, newspapers, magazines, film, radio, recordings, television, and the Internet. Analysis of news, entertainment, advertising, and public strategies, as well as media impact, legal issues, and ethics.

Thanks very much for your time!
I was just wondering if you were going to complete or finish your AAS (Applied Science in Business)
As I looked at their webpage for more details, the majority of your classes fit this associates degree.
NMJC AAS Link: Academic Degrees - New Mexico Junior College

If you're not going for that, they have an AA and AS as well, you might want to finish your courses there.
Transfer everything into the BSBA Accounting program at TESU and get an evaluation.
You should get roughly or up to 60 credits out of that, it'll be like a block transfer.

If you have the time, check out the Beginners Guide and review the wiki.
You should create a spreadsheet with the courses you have completed or use an example made by dfrecore
Plug the courses you have completed and then you'll know what would be missing.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Msybrown Wrote:Hello,

Intermediate Algebra - MAT-115 will come in to the Quant Lit requirement
Intro to Sociology - SOC-101 will come in to the Diversity requirement
American History II -HIS-114 will come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

CC 11 - Classical Cultures - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

CC 21 - Knowledge, Reality and Values - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

CC 23 - People, Power, and Politics - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

CC 312 - Cmptg: Nat, Pwr, Lmt - not sure, may come in to the Understaning the Physical & Natural World area, or Free Electives depending on what prefix they give it

CIS 5.2 - Int Cmptr Applctns - will come into the BSBA Core

ENG 1 - English Composition I - will come into the Written Comm requirement

ENG 2 - Composition 2 - will come into the Written Comm requirement

PHIL 8 - Race, Justice, and Equality - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

PSY 11 - Introductory Psychology - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

PSY 20 - Introductory Child Psychology - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

PSY 30 - Abnormal Psychology I - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area

TVR 165 - Indstry, Instit, Aud - not sure if it will come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area as a COMM course, or go in Free Electives

TVR 65 - Introduction to Mass Media - should come in to the Knowledge of Human Cultures area as a COMM course

Thanks very much for your time!

Anything that you have over the 9cr required in Knowledge of Human Cultures will go into Gen Ed Electives, and then into Free Electives.

If I were you, I would take the following:
Public Speaking
College Algebra
World Religions or A&I Literature or Tech Writing
Free Insurance Ethics course
American Government
Any Science or Computer Science course
Statistics
Any of the courses required in the Business Core
Any of the Accounting courses required in the Area of Study (limit of 2 at a CC though, since you need the rest to be UL)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
bjcheung77 Wrote:If you're not going for that, they have an AA and AS as well, you might want to finish your courses there.
Transfer everything into the BSBA Accounting program at TESU and get an evaluation.
You should get roughly or up to 60 credits out of that, it'll be like a block transfer.

TESU will not do a block transfer unless you have a BA/BS, and then only for the Gen Eds. They will not do a block transfer from an AA/AS.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I thought about that but since I was looking for the quickest direct route to a BA. If I stick with only NMJC I'll be stuck with only taking a few classes each semester. My plan is to combine NMJC classes with a mix of Straighterline and Saylor throughout this year so when I get to TESU in January I only need about a year of coursework (12 classes).
Thank you very much for your response! We are on the same page, you suggested the courses I had in mind but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Wonderful!
bjcheung77 Wrote:I was just wondering if you were going to complete or finish your AAS (Applied Science in Business)
As I looked at their webpage for more details, the majority of your classes fit this associates degree.
NMJC AAS Link: Academic Degrees - New Mexico Junior College

If you're not going for that, they have an AA and AS as well, you might want to finish your courses there.

If you have the time, check out the Beginners Guide and review the wiki.
You should create a spreadsheet with the courses you have completed or use an example made by dfrecore
Plug the courses you have completed and then you'll know what would be missing.

I thought about that but since I was looking for the quickest direct route to a BA. If I stick with only NMJC I'll be stuck with only taking a few classes each semester. My plan is to combine NMJC classes with a mix of Straighterline and Saylor throughout this year so when I get to TESU in January I only need about a year of coursework (12 classes).
dfrecore Wrote:Anything that you have over the 9cr required in Knowledge of Human Cultures will go into Gen Ed Electives, and then into Free Electives.

If I were you, I would take the following:
Public Speaking
College Algebra
World Religions or A&I Literature or Tech Writing
Free Insurance Ethics course
American Government
Any Science or Computer Science course
Statistics
Any of the courses required in the Business Core
Any of the Accounting courses required in the Area of Study (limit of 2 at a CC though, since you need the rest to be UL)

Thank you very much for your response! We are on the same page, you suggested the courses I had in mind but I wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Wonderful!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,933 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,621 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,032 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,587 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,672 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,298 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,551 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,287 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,328 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic