Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you help me figure out where I am?
Hi Everyone- I am new and am so inspired by this site I could literally just weep. I have been underwater my whole adult life, trying to beat the system w/o a degree and each year it gets harder and harder, but I could not figure out how to get my head up high enough to catch my breath, and this site has honestly felt like pure, free flowing oxygen.

I am addicted and excited and hopeful and scared and amazed and hungry and so deliriously happy. I run here everyday to read everything that is posted. I pour over this site tirelessly and am in awe of you all. I feel I am beginning to know many of you because I hinge on your writings. My gratitude is thick and dense and not given to words, but I'm certain you will never know the full extent of the good you've done in the things you've shared.

Anyway, a blanket 'thank you' and I hope to join you in soon with helping others. I am moving at the speed of light, trying to make up for lost time and I'm implementing things I learn here, literally, by the hour. I think I found this site 2 weeks ago. Prior to that, I knew nothing about CLEPs and DSSTs. Last week I took my first CLEP - Principles of Marketing and scored 68 and I am hooked. I can barely sleep, so I want to push till I faint and then I'll regroup, but for now I'm on fire. I arbitrarily decided to mimic burbuja0512 COSC BSBA Program attachment.

But now I would like to try and get an AA asap and then a BA (ANY BA) and am hoping you will help me. If you are still reading, bless you! So now I have a dream - a crazy dream, but what the heck: here goes. My dream is to enroll in NMJC next month to work towards my AA. I spoke w/ them and I can get enough finan aid to cover my housing for the quarter, which will allow me to complete the online coursework for the AA and continue to test out of my UL courses.

In Jan I will enroll in COSC to begin the 8-week Cornerstone course and finish remaining UL tests, then apply for graduation in the Spring. If this works I would seek the least stressful MA I could find, maybe a 1-yr MILS. With that plethora of information in mind, can you help me figure out the fastest, easiest route from where I am to where I want to go? AA then BA. Here are my B&M credits of grade C or better:

Chem Lab (1), Communications -Group Performance (3) and Oral History (3);
Econ - Macro (3) and Micro (3);
Eng Comp 1(3) and Eng Comp 2(3);
Literature and Cult Diversity (3);
American Lit from 1930 (3);

French 1 (4); French 2x (3) and French 3-4 (6);
African History (3);
History of the Am Worker (3);
History of South African Nationalism (3);
Trig/Geom (3);
Calculus/Geom (3);
Calculus w/ One Variable (3);

Music Keyboard (1);
Music Keyboard (1)
Music Instruments (.5);
Music Instruments (.5)
Music Masterpieces (3);

Ethics (3);
Jogging (1);
Swimming (1);
US Gov (3);
Freshman Seminar (3);
Psychology (3);
Speech- Oral Interpretations (3);

Am I right to understand that not all of these are necessarily transferrable? Liberty Univ would only admit me as a Freshman, which was exhausting to even consider. The above courses represent grades of C or better. It looks like some people on this site have received credit for courses C- or even D+, is that true? If so, I have a couple of other courses for which I received C- and also a D+ in Biology (Uugh).

Anyway, if you are willing to help me sort this out to the shortest route, I will be eternally grateful. I would like to be on track post haste! :-) I will go to either of the Big 3 schools and I am impartial to any concentration of study.

Thank you in advance for any consideration.

Broken down into paragraphs for easier reading....Shoto
I'm winded just reading all that! Smile

I wouldn't count out the D in Biology. I satisfied 3 of my Nat Science credits at COSC with a D in Biology from a lifetime ago.

Start by seeing what you need to fulfill the gen ed requirements, here is COSC
General Education Requirements at Charter Oak State College Basically those plus enough credits to reach 60 total will get you an AA/AS. You might be there, your certainly close.

You will then need 30 UL credits and another 30 electives to reach the Bachelors.

Do you live in NW? Not to take away any thunder but does NMJC know how many credits you have? Typically over 90 credits means a JC won't give you aid. That aside you have very attainable goals. We aren't talking Liberty University, you will be better off at one of the big three. Where did you get thise credits?

More in a bit, but thats a start.

Oh and.....welcome! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
You definitely need to consider TESC because with what you have and what you can get free electives (FEMA), you could already have two thirds of your courses done for a BA Liberal Studies. I would forget the AA and get my transcripts in to TESC and wait for my evaluation. FEMAs re free and TESC transcribes them free. You can work on UL tests (like drug and substance,organizational behavior, Viet Nam (you only need six) and probably can get through most of them before your evaluation is back. Best of luck.
A.S. General Transfer Chattanooga State 2009
B.S.L.A. Thomas Edison State College June 7, 2013
33 CLEP
18 DSST
frankiebleyes Wrote:You definitely need to consider TESC because with what you have and what you can get free electives (FEMA), you could already have two thirds of your courses done for a BA Liberal Studies. I would forget the AA and get my transcripts in to TESC and wait for my evaluation. FEMAs re free and TESC transcribes them free. You can work on UL tests (like drug and substance,organizational behavior, Viet Nam (you only need six) and probably can get through most of them before your evaluation is back. Best of luck.

This is probably excellent advice!
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
*/
frankiebleyes Wrote:You definitely need to consider TESC because with what you have and what you can get free electives (FEMA), you could already have two thirds of your courses done for a BA Liberal Studies. I would forget the AA and get my transcripts in to TESC and wait for my evaluation. FEMAs re free and TESC transcribes them free. You can work on UL tests (like drug and substance,organizational behavior, Viet Nam (you only need six) and probably can get through most of them before your evaluation is back. Best of luck.

I'll second...oops...third this too. And Liberty didn't take all your credit because they'd rather take all your money.
rebel100 Wrote:I'm winded just reading all that! Smile

I wouldn't count out the D in Biology. I satisfied 3 of my Nat Science credits at COSC with a D in Biology from a lifetime ago.

Start by seeing what you need to fulfill the gen ed requirements, here is COSC
General Education Requirements at Charter Oak State College Basically those plus enough credits to reach 60 total will get you an AA/AS. You might be there, your certainly close.

You will then need 30 UL credits and another 30 electives to reach the Bachelors.

Do you live in NW? Not to take away any thunder but does NMJC know how many credits you have? Typically over 90 credits means a JC won't give you aid. That aside you have very attainable goals. We aren't talking Liberty University, you will be better off at one of the big three. Where did you get thise credits?

More in a bit, but thats a start.

Oh and.....welcome! Smile

Yes, I,too, am winded on re-reading it! :-) Anyway, thank you for this response..

So, my below C grades are not an absolute out. I'm printing out the Gen Ed Reqs now- thanx for the link. I do NOT live in NM, but I picked up that tip from a thread. Honestly, until tonight, I was working under the assumption that only about 45 hrs would transfer based on my exchange with LU. My B&M courses are from UNC-CH but they are more than 5 yrs old and so I thought they would not be accepted. The community college here requires you to retake most courses after 5+ years, so that was my working assumption. I'm going to pass out if you tell me otherwise....

Ok...meaning they might accept ALL of my courses?....Ok, ok, .....I've been reading about the FEMA and see people list them and I've checked out the website, but I'm not quite clear about them. But I'll check that out. I'm currently working on CLEP Mgmnt; DSST Organizational Behavior and Accting (DSST/SL)

This is awesome, I'm not quite sure what you've given me here, but I'm going to process it.

The Liberal Studies is a little confusing because it's so...liberal Smile but I'm guessing that is the very thing that will allow me to apply much of what I've earned.

Ok, thank you. You've given me a nugget. I'll run with it. Thank you!
rebel100 Wrote:This is probably excellent advice!

Ok, duly noted. I'm on it. Thank you~

BTW, what does 'Minor Noble' mean?
cookderosa Wrote:*/

I'll second...oops...third this too. And Liberty didn't take all your credit because they'd rather take all your money.

hilarious
I'm sure you're right. And there I was thinking the shelf life on my grades had expired.

I'm calling TESC tomorrow.

Thank you!!
Most of your work should transfer. There is no practical expiratin date as a rule. I think your awfully close to a BS from COSC or TESC. Either of them will work with your financial aid.

Click on the liberal studies cps form on the bottom of this page. Liberal Studies Concentration (Major) at Charter Oak State College That will help you get a handle on the possibilities.

remember you need the gen ed, 30 hours (at least) of UL (300 and 400 ) level classes. The rest are electives to 120 hours to flesh out a BS.

Note that at TESC the FEMA credits are free and I believe you can take 27 of them.
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tesc changed their requirements - anyone figure out the clep equivalents? esh 4 583 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Last Post: EI2HCB
  Trying to Figure Out Best Degree Option at TESC embitca 15 1,780 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Last Post: embitca
  Tesc - almost done, help me figure out what to take? nerako 4 627 12-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Last Post: nerako
  please HELP me figure out my Psych Plan - TESC nerako 1 377 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Help to figure out what's left for degree at TESC tester 10 1,802 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Last Post: tester