Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish I hadn't given Straighterline my money
Guys, SmartThinking tutors get $12/hour. You get what you get- if it's not a pass, submit a ticket. Your expectations should be much lower lol.
(08-28-2018, 07:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Guys, SmartThinking tutors get $12/hour.  You get what you get- if it's not a pass, submit a ticket.  Your expectations should be much lower lol.

"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people." Colossians 3:23

Your pay isn't an excuse not to do your job. If you don't want to do what you're being paid to do, go work for someone else.

My last SmartThinking tutor was clearly proud to be doing what he's doing. Does he deserve a raise for his excellence on the job? No, because that same degree of quality was expected of him when he applied for the $12/hr job. He is the type of person, however, that will experience upgrade in his life because he does much with little.
Maybe everyone who can do this job well has gone to work for someone else for higher pay and the only ones left are those who can't do the job well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • jsd
Employers often get what they pay for.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(08-28-2018, 12:18 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 07:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Guys, SmartThinking tutors get $12/hour.  You get what you get- if it's not a pass, submit a ticket.  Your expectations should be much lower lol.

"Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people." Colossians 3:23

Your pay isn't an excuse not to do your job. If you don't want to do what you're being paid to do, go work for someone else.

Listen, I get it. But following biblical principles is something an individual mandates on their own life/behavior, it isn't a mandate for others.

These guys do their job- they're not teachers/professors. They are graders, nothing more. For the guy who gives a little extra of himself to the job, that's awesome! But the job is the job, I don't think anyone is doing anything wrong. The purpose of using a school like SL is so you can be an independent learner. Expecting them to offer personal attention is unrealistic imo.

Exactly. They're tutors and reviewers, not teachers. Personally, I don't have high expectations. But I do expect them to follow the published rubric and not deviate from it. That really is my only real gripe with them.

On the other hand, I was willing to pay extra for the teacher-led version because that provided a higher quality experience and more consistency.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • cookderosa
Their American History II course is trash.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(08-23-2018, 09:29 AM)cookderosa Wrote: SL has served my family well. I completed my degree before they started, but my sons (3 of 4) have all taken many SL courses.  My interaction with customer support has been fine, but it's their WEBSITE that is death.  Seriously, I don't know anything about computers, but it takes FOREVER to get pages to load no matter what computer we are on.

I've had the same experience up until yesterday. I started using Firefox (version 62.0 - 64bit) and SL's pages are now loading extremely fast, including login, moodle, and the dashboard. It may have something to do with Firefox's recent updates; I'm not sure. SL is still loading extremely slow for me on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge (in case you're one of the 3 people that are using Edge. Big Grin ) It might be worth a shot to try installing Firefox and see what happens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sapientes's post:
  • pws
(09-10-2018, 07:09 PM)Sapientes Wrote:
(08-23-2018, 09:29 AM)cookderosa Wrote: SL has served my family well. I completed my degree before they started, but my sons (3 of 4) have all taken many SL courses.  My interaction with customer support has been fine, but it's their WEBSITE that is death.  Seriously, I don't know anything about computers, but it takes FOREVER to get pages to load no matter what computer we are on.

I've had the same experience up until yesterday. I started using Firefox (version 62.0 - 64bit) and SL's pages are now loading extremely fast, including login, moodle, and the dashboard. It may have something to do with Firefox's recent updates; I'm not sure. SL is still loading extremely slow for me on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge (in case you're one of the 3 people that are using Edge. Big Grin ) It might be worth a shot to try installing Firefox and see what happens.

hey! That's worth a shot, thank you!
(08-22-2018, 02:22 PM)kodiak61 Wrote: It's unfortunate that this was your experience.

I completed 72 credits with them in record time and could not be happier.

My only complaint is they don't offer more UL courses so I could have taken the full 90 with them.

Hi kodiak61. Could you tell me more about how you managed to complete 72 credits with straighterline? How long did it take? Above the monthly registration fee of 99 $, each course costs 59 $, right? I am looking for such info as I am planning to test out of a TESU degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 528 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 180 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,034 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 339 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 336 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 723 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 440 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 646 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,182 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,093 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138