Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wish I hadn't given Straighterline my money
(11-14-2018, 05:04 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(11-13-2018, 08:06 PM)Merlin Wrote: I know this doesn't help you now, but you're not alone in stuff like this happening. Many of us have gotten into the habit of canceling our SL membership right after we renew it. Accounts don't expire until the end of the payment period and that way you don't have to worry about accidental auto-renewal. Plus you can choose to leverage a subscription discount when you renew, if there is an active code you haven't used yet,

A couple quick questions about this:

A. When you cancel your SL membership, do you still get access through the end of the month like on SDC?

B. Are you saying that if you cancel you can use a renewal discount code even while you have your membership still going?

A. Yes, when you cancel your SL membership, it runs through the end of the billing period (the next monthly anniversary after the account was opened)

B. No, what I'm saying is that you cancel your membership, and then immediately after it officially ends (or when you feel like it), you re-open the account using a discount code. You can always re-open the account using a discount code, but there are only so many discount codes and once you use one, you can't use it again, so this isn't always possible.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • pws
Thanks for the clarification! Not sure if I'll do any SL courses beyond the two I bought on the Halloween discount, but good info to file away anyhow.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Good news. After praying about it and surrendering my lack of trust for financial provision:

"Hi Katelyn,
As a one time courtesy, you have been refunded $99 for your membership fee. Please allow a few days for said fee to post to your account.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 877.787.8375.
Thank you!
The StraighterLine Billing Team" 

You reap what you sow.
[-] The following 2 users Like katelynn's post:
  • alab21, jsd
Glad it worked out for you!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-15-2018, 02:22 PM)katelynn Wrote: Good news. After praying about it and surrendering my lack of trust for financial provision:

"Hi Katelyn,
As a one time courtesy, you have been refunded $99 for your membership fee. Please allow a few days for said fee to post to your account.
Thank you!

You reap what you sow.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I wonder if they saw the comments on the thread and felt it was a good PR move? Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 4 users Like Merlin's post:
  • alab21, katelynn, Muldoon, NC Coach
(11-15-2018, 02:53 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(11-15-2018, 02:22 PM)katelynn Wrote: Good news. After praying about it and surrendering my lack of trust for financial provision:

"Hi Katelyn,
Thank you!

You reap what you sow.

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I wonder if they saw the comments on the thread and felt it was a good PR move? Smile

Well done SL! I’m a prospective customer; while I don’t expect them to do this for me, I’m glad to know there are people behind the scenes who care. I’ve been lurking on this site, doing research for my kids, husband and perhaps myself. They will likely earn money from us in the near future. Smile
I actually have always gotten pretty good customer service from Straighterline. It's improved a lot compared to 2 years ago, in my opinion. Now if they could just update their extremely slow website and make their test/quiz questions things people could actually LEARN instead of verbatim sentences from the book, we'd be good... Lol.

(11-17-2018, 11:38 AM)Mab81 Wrote: I actually have always gotten pretty good customer service from Straighterline. It's improved a lot compared to 2 years ago, in my opinion. Now if they could just update their extremely slow website and make their test/quiz questions things people could actually LEARN instead of verbatim sentences from the book, we'd be good... Lol.

I'm done with my SL classes, so I know what you mean about slow. I could totally be remembering wrong, but I thought someone had mentioned a way to speed it up. Maybe it was by using a different browser???? Firefox maybe? Someone correct me here if I am wrong.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
(11-17-2018, 06:41 PM)mudball Wrote: I'm done with my SL classes, so I know what you mean about slow. I could totally be remembering wrong, but I thought someone had mentioned a way to speed it up. Maybe it was by using a different browser???? Firefox maybe? Someone correct me here if I am wrong.

You are right. Post #41 on this thread confirmed Firefox works better.
(08-22-2018, 06:54 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 02:28 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 02:22 PM)kodiak61 Wrote: It's unfortunate that this was your experience.

I completed 72 credits with them in record time and could not be happier.

My only complaint is they don't offer more UL courses so I could have taken the full 90 with them.

As I said, I'm sure my experience would've been perfectly fine if I had taken a course that required little-to-no interaction with the people they've decided to hire. I wish this hadn't been my first experience with them.

What made you decide to stick with them over Study.com?

Too bad you didn't read any of the recommendations I've posted about the English Comp sources at Straighterline. They can be great, but you MUST take the teacher-led version!

If you take the generic version, you'll end up with random SmartThinking tutors as graders so you never know what you'll get, plus they don't even always follow the course rubric. I always recommend folks take English Comp from another provider if they don't want the teacher-led version.

The teacher that runs the teacher-led version is awesome, she's really easy to work with and is very consistent on her grading and in following the rubric.

If you do english comp 2 at SL, keep that in mind. The same teacher runs that one.

Quick and possibly stupid question.  Is the teacher led version the more expensive one that has a professor attached?

GG

NM, saw your answer on page two.
Community College - 39 Credits
Excelsior/ECE - Information Literacy, World Conflicts After 1900, Research Methods in Psychology, Weather and Climate, Workplace Communication with Computers, Labor Relations, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology
CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Educational Psychology
DSST - Ethics of America, Principals of Supervision, Health and Human Development, Human Resources Management, The Civil War and Reconstruction, Substance Abuse, Environmental Science, History of the Soviet Union
Study.Com - Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology, Communications 102: Interpersonal Communications, Psychology 315: Psychology of Motivation, English 105: English Composition II, History 108: History of the Vietnam War, Statistics 101: Principles of Statistics

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 91 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 369 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 580 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,121 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Study.com vs. StraighterLine bjcheung77 2 1,055 03-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Last Post: jsh1138