Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woo Hoo - First ALEKS Completed
ryoder Wrote:Congrats!
Make sure you guys are printing your question explanations to a pdf for each and every question in the learning mode.
I had a folder full of about 60 pdfs when I was done and this was invaluable in taking the exams.
I completed stats in 40 long hours and the next day I took business stats and completed in about 4 hours. I got a 71% on the initial assessment since I already had all the pdfs available for 90% of the questions. I just had to work the problems slowly.

At TESC you can also get credit for college algebra and pre-calc on aleks so do those too. I used mathway.com to help out.

Took me a little longer but I got Biz Stats as well and cranked out College Algebra last night.

I still cannot believe that I just got 9 credits. This is amazing.

I think it is time to hit some CLEP's next!

Simon
[SIZE="1"]ALEKS
Intro to Stats - 6/2010
Business Statistics - 6/2010
College Algebra - 6/2010[/SIZE]
Simon,

It's both fun and exciting! Remember, to first take full advantage of all Aleks has to offer. Precalculus is required but do not forget to add on Intermediate Algebra for 3 more gen ed credits. You could also then go take the college mathematics CLEP (basic liberal arts math) for an additional 6 credits.

If you have not read the full aleks threads this is what your total accumulated math credit would look like:

STA201 stas (3) required
OPM351 bus stats (3) business elective

MAT129 precalculus (3) required
MAT121 college algebra (3) gen ed
MAT115 intermediate algebra (3) gen ed
MAT102/103 college math CLEP (6) gen ed

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Simon,

It's both fun and exciting! Remember, to first take full advantage of all Aleks has to offer. Precalculus is required but do not forget to add on Intermediate Algebra for 3 more gen ed credits. You could also then go take the college mathematics CLEP (basic liberal arts math) for an additional 6 credits.

If you have not read the full aleks threads this is what your total accumulated math credit would look like:

STA201 stas (3) required
OPM351 bus stats (3) business elective

MAT129 precalculus (3) required
MAT121 college algebra (3) gen ed
MAT115 intermediate algebra (3) gen ed
MAT102/103 college math CLEP (6) gen ed

Awesome advice - thanks!

Simon
[SIZE="1"]ALEKS
Intro to Stats - 6/2010
Business Statistics - 6/2010
College Algebra - 6/2010[/SIZE]
Glad to help, I'm also an aleks fan! Good cheap credit! I fondly remember being tethered to aleks during my birthday month in '09. Between fema and aleks I was so excited I barely slept. I looked like death walking during that period but those credits piled quite nicely on my academic evaluation! :roflol:

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I'm at 55% on business stats... hadn't thought about printing off the stuff until someone posted their intro to stats ones (which helped me get 5% on the last eval, THANK YOU). Plan was to finish it this weekend but... just got the final for one of my courses, 50 MC, design 3 databases (it's a database course), and 2 short essays... on top of the 13 page essay needed for the final project... think I might be busy this weekend.

Once done with business stats (which I NEED to do soon) I plan on knocking out 3 of the lower level math courses (most EC will let me transfer in). Those should go by quick, I aced Calc I and starting Calc II in a couple weeks. The stats course will let me take quantitative methods at EC as part of my BS, that course will waive one of the requirements for an MBA with them if I choose to do one.
Good point about the mba reqs. People are increasingly choosing an MBA as a masters degree and I have a friend who already has a masters in computer science who is doing an MBA and he is forced to take numerous foundation courses including economics, management, accounting and maybe two more. I told him to clep out of the stuff before applying but he didn't do it fast enough so now his MBA is going to take at least 6 months longer before it even starts.

So the moral of the story is, everyone should take management, marketing, both economics, statistics and at least one accounting in their undergrad not only to prepare for an MBA but to skip those foundation classes and to help them do well in business.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
ryoder Wrote:Good point about the mba reqs. People are increasingly choosing an MBA as a masters degree and I have a friend who already has a masters in computer science who is doing an MBA and he is forced to take numerous foundation courses including economics, management, accounting and maybe two more. I told him to clep out of the stuff before applying but he didn't do it fast enough so now his MBA is going to take at least 6 months longer before it even starts.

So the moral of the story is, everyone should take management, marketing, both economics, statistics and at least one accounting in their undergrad not only to prepare for an MBA but to skip those foundation classes and to help them do well in business.

I totally agree with you Ryan great advice. Thats what I did so I would not get stuck taking foundation classes within the MBA program. The MBA I applied to had 10 competencies to be admitted fully.

Also Simon way to go with all of those Aleks courses. It is amazing how fast credits can stack up. Smile
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,161 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  finishing ALEKS? a2jc4life 2 1,007 07-25-2018, 11:52 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  TESU BSBA completed- a few tips thornoak 3 1,382 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,358 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  What is the fastest degree that can be completed at COSC? CountChocula 3 3,550 02-06-2018, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Math 105 on ALEKS for TESU BALS degree CarpeDiem8 17 2,473 06-25-2017, 02:58 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What aleks courses for tesu credits requirement Driel 20 3,741 05-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Driel
  ALEKS Stats and duplication at COSC BrandeX 5 1,307 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Can Certificates be completed with PLA? mccatm 5 1,135 04-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question about taking courses for a second bachelors before the first is completed Notgodot 2 741 03-09-2017, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Notgodot