Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would I be a fool to get out of the military?
And in case you haven't been told enough,

Keep a copy of everything!!! You should have a personal copy of your whole medical record. Also, it is best to us an organization like the DVA to help you file for VA disability. I can attest to that with my 0% rating Sad
dposborne Wrote:Although you may be discharged with a percentage from the Air Force this is not a disability rating from the VA. They are two different things altogether. I think the VA lets you submit your claim paperwork either 90 days or 180 days before you get out so if you plan on going for disability compensation from the VA now is the time to think about submitting your claim. It took me literally 18 months for my rating to be awarded. Also if you suspect that you have any issues now, make sure you go to the doc and get them checked out ASAP, this way the issues are already in your medical record and you don't have to try and prove that these concerns happened while you were in the service. Get everything you can think of into that medical record. It can be something as small as a weird feeling in your right knee. This can turn into a serious knee issue 20 years down the road which may require a knee replacement and since the military made you run all those miles for some years on rough concrete they should be paying for it...

The DoD and VA rating system is a very confusing beast. Luckily I was able to talk to a DVA rep on base and she set me up with all of my VA appointments and explained the differences. It seems you are correct that I will only be getting the DoD rating before I separate, but I should get a proposed VA rating at around the same time that won't go into effect until a month or 2 after I separate. If it takes longer, at least it's retroactive.

And UptonSinclair you were also very correct, the records that were sent over were missing at least half of my referred appointments...which I'm now digging to find the dates and facilities for each of those.

Thanks for the help, this should prove to be an interesting journey...
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
UptonSinclair Wrote:And in case you haven't been told enough,

Keep a copy of everything!!! You should have a personal copy of your whole medical record. Also, it is best to us an organization like the DVA to help you file for VA disability. I can attest to that with my 0% rating Sad

Get a personal copy of your service record as well. Although it's very easy to actually access your service records online now and print them out from there, you never know if someone might be having a bad day and decides to take it out on half your record while scanning it into the system...

The only other big tip I can think of off hand is: If you snore go get a sleep study done as soon as possible. Trust me if you developed obstructive sleep apnea while in service that is an easy 50% rating...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
dposborne Wrote:Get a personal copy of your service record as well. Although it's very easy to actually access your service records online now and print them out from there, you never know if someone might be having a bad day and decides to take it out on half your record while scanning it into the system...

The only other big tip I can think of off hand is: If you snore go get a sleep study done as soon as possible. Trust me if you developed obstructive sleep apnea while in service that is an easy 50% rating...

Seriously..... You get a 50% rating for obstructive sleep apnea? Well at least that will keep me in business due to more government funding. It is kind of funny though that you would get a disability rating for that when most likely the military had nothing to do with it; however, like I said it keeps me in business to an extent. Just for knowledge sakes I am not downplaying the severity of OSA by any means, I just find it interesting that you get a disability percentage for it.
A.A.S. IN RESPIRATORY CARE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2007
A.A. IN SOCIAL SCIENCE (LOCAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE): 2015
B.S.A.S.T IN RESPIRATORY CARE (TESU) 2015
smf6824 Wrote:Seriously..... You get a 50% rating for obstructive sleep apnea? Well at least that will keep me in business due to more government funding. It is kind of funny though that you would get a disability rating for that when most likely the military had nothing to do with it; however, like I said it keeps me in business to an extent.

Based on the assumption that the VA gives out ratings for things that occurred or developed while in the military, giving a high rating on something as serious as OSA is only logical especially if there is absolutely no evidence that the individual had this disorder prior to entering service. I am in no way saying that serving in the military can always lead to the development of OSA, but in some cases it is possible. Considering some of the possible causes of OSA: obesity or even excess weight, smoking, alcohol use, allergies, hereditary reasons, etc... we can see that some causes are controllable... Obesity is listed as one of the major causes of Sleep Apnea which to some extent is controllable, but not always. The military provides the meals and a good example of where one doesn't have a choice on what to eat is on Submarines where you pretty much eat what is provided and be happy with it. Exercise opportunities are very rare on submarines as well (where do you put the gym?)

smf6824 Wrote:Just for knowledge sakes I am not downplaying the severity of OSA by any means, I just find it interesting that you get a disability percentage for it.

I actually thought that getting rated 10% for my hypertension was weird since it is most closely linked to genes or 10% each for arthritis in my back, neck and knees.
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
A lot has happened over the last few months. I went to a 4 week inpatient program for stress and trauma...I got my proposed ratings for retirement and the VA...I got my orders and I'm doing my final out-processing appointment today! I've got a month and a half of terminal leave so I can get paid while we figure out where we are going to live.

I'm going to miss the people here in Nebraska... It's been a long 5 years and I've learned a lot. I'm very grateful that my job afforded me enough time to study for CLEPs and DSSTs and to take a few traditional classes. I would recommend the Air Force to anyone.

With the VA disability, my wife working, and a little help from the GI Bill we should be comfortable enough in our hometown. I look forward to taking some time off of work and finishing my degree in Michigan...
TESU BSBA in General Management
CCAF AAS in Computer Science Technology

Resources used:  CLEP, DSST,
Penn Foster, Sophia, StraighterLine, TEEX, NFA, ALEKS, The Institutes
It sounds like you've got a plan. I hope that everything goes well for you and your family.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,043 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,740 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,593 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,797 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,896 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,946 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,312 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,434 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,114 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,913 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku