Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New College Composition Exam to replace existing EC CLEP?
I apologize if this has been posted before, I haven't been visiting IC for quite some time now. Apparently the new exam will be available 1st of July 2010. There will be two essays, and exam time is up from 90 to 120 minutes. Here's the info from ACE's website:

College Composition
Credit Type: Exam
ACE Course Number: 0040
Organization: College Board's College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Dates Offered: 7/1/2010 - Present

Description: The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is introducing a new examination, College Composition, in July 2010. The redesigned examination will replace CLEP English Composition with Essay. The CLEP College Composition examination assesses writing skills taught in most first-year college composition courses. Those skills include analysis, argumentation, synthesis, usage, and research. Candidates will be expected to apply the principles and conventions used in longer writing projects to two timed writing assignments, and to apply the rules of standard written English. CLEP College Composition contains multiple-choice items and two mandatory, centrally scored essays. The exam contains approximately 50 multiple-choice items to be answered in 50 minutes and two essays to be written in 70 minutes (for a total of 120 minutes testing time).

Skills Measured: Multiple Choice Section: 10% Conventions of Standard Written English: This section measures candidates' awareness of a variety of logical, structural, and grammatical relationships within sentences. 40% Revision Skills (including sentence-level skills): This section measures candidates' revision skills in the context of works in progress (early drafts of essays). 25% Ability to Use Source Materials: This section measures candidates' familiarity with elements of the following basic reference and research skills, which are tested primarily in sets but may also be tested through stand-alone questions. In the passage-based sets, the elements listed under Revision and Rhetorical Analysis may also be tested. 25% Rhetorical Analysis: This section measures candidates' ability to analyze writing. This skill is tested primarily in passage-based questions pertaining to critical thinking, style, purpose, audience, and situation.

Written Exam: Essay Section: The College Composition examination includes an essay section that tests skills of argumentation, analysis, and synthesis. The section consists of two essays, both of which measure a candidate's ability to write clearly and effectively. The first essay is based on the candidates' reading, observation, or experience, while the second requires candidates to synthesize and cite two sources that are provided. Candidates have 30 minutes to write the first essay and 40 minutes to read the two sources and write the second essay. The essays must be typed on the computer and are administered following the multiple-choice section of the exam. Shortly after each administration of the College Composition examination, college English faculty from throughout the country score the essays via an online scoring system. Each of the two essays is scored independently by two different readers, and the scores are then combined. This combined score is weighted equally with the score from the multiple-choice section. These scores are then combined to yield the candidate's score. Relationship of CLEP College Composition to College Composition Modular: The CLEP College Composition exam contains multiple-choice items and two mandatory, centrally scored essays. A similar exam, College Composition Modular, contains all multiple-choice questions, and may be supplemented with an essay section developed and scored by the college, or one provided by CLEP and scored by the college. Please see the College Composition Modular description for more details. (N.B.: Candidates can receive credit for College Composition or for College Composition Modular, but not credit for both.)

Credit Recommendation: At the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree level, 6 semester hours of credit are recommended (12/08).

Notice the 'Modular' version where an all multiple-choice test can be supplemented by an essay provided by your college or by CLEP and scored by the college. Interesting. I wonder if Excelsior would consider the revised exam.
Excelsior BSB - MIS concentration (119 credits in the bank)
I need to find out how long the College Board will keep the "College Composition" score and the "College Composition Modular" score and essays.

Does anyone know if they will keep these for just 90 days like the "Freshman College Composition" essay? Or will they keep them for 6 months? Or will they keep them for 20 years?

Thanks.
gus Wrote:Notice the 'Modular' version where an all multiple-choice test can be supplemented by an essay provided by your college or by CLEP and scored by the college. Interesting. I wonder if Excelsior would consider the revised exam.
That would be amazing. I haven't fulfilled my Written English requirement. If I could use a CLEP...

Really, the new CLEP sounds a lot like the UExcel test -- why wouldn't EC accept it? I'll be firing off an email to my adviser soon.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Straight from "A Student Guide to Credit by Examination at Excelsior College" page 25

In July 2010, CLEP will replace these two exams with College Composition (mandatory essay component) and College Composition Modular (optional essay component that can be locally administered or scored by CLEP raters). The new exams also do not fulfill the WER.
Done:

Excelsior: Bachelor of Science Business
Associate Aviation Mx Tech CCAF
Associate Healthcare Management CCAF

CLEP: A&I Lit, Freshman College Comp, Info Sys and Comp Apps, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Principles of Macroeconomics
DSST: Management Information Systems, Intro to Law Enforcement, Intro to Computing, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision, Technical Writing, Environment and Humanity, Organizational Behavior
EC: Info Lit, Internet Programming, Bus Law, Bus Ethics, Bus Strategy, Principles of Finance, Intro to Entrepreneurship, Ops Mgmt
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics
Straighterline: A&P I, Accounting I, Accounting II, Bus Com, English Comp I, Microeconomics
SLU: Global Perspective, College Mathematics
BYU: Public Speaking
PF: Art App, Music App
FEMA PDS
73 Military
Total 194
mtbkr02 Wrote:Straight from "A Student Guide to Credit by Examination at Excelsior College" page 25

In July 2010, CLEP will replace these two exams with College Composition (mandatory essay component) and College Composition Modular (optional essay component that can be locally administered or scored by CLEP raters). The new exams also do not fulfill the WER.
Snap. Well, one could hope. Oh well. Rolleyes
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]
Does anyone know about TESC?

Thanks.
Nate

[SIZE="1"]CLEP: Financial Accounting, Social Sciences and History[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com College Credits UnbreakablyDetermined 2 1,850 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 27,000 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,825 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TECEP - do I have to wait until the start of a Term to take the exam? Kelly Green 4 2,033 08-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,925 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Western Civilization I & II CLEP Banker214 4 1,587 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  TESU Question about recording CLEP exams SamCes 5 1,649 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mdel210201
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,220 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,394 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  A question about shmoop and Excelsior College literalkev 8 3,073 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM
Last Post: literalkev