Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me !!!!
JBjunior Wrote:No one is going to help you because you have no idea what you are talking about but think you do. Move on or help yourself. You are speaking gibberish and CLEP scores don't even go to 99......

Nope, sorry you're wrong...

"College-Level Examinations Program® (CLEP) Information
All CLEP exam scores range from 20 to 80. A score of 99 indicates that credit is awarded on an individually-determined basis"

For example Seattle Central CC website USED to state that they accepted English Comp CLEPs with score of 99.

Now this is what their website states:

"Seattle Central does not currently accept the CLEP Test. Advanced Placement (AP) scores are accepted, but should be submitted to Admissions for evaluation."

I don't know why it's so hard for you to believe that CLEPs are not accepted at schools here and especially not accepted as credit by the 4-year universities here.

JBjunior Wrote:Last bit of information, there are testing centers in Kirkland and Tacoma where you can take every test your heart desires. Everyone has to drive to get to testing centers you aren't special.
The 4-year universities here do not accept CLEP credits. That would be pointless to take the CLEP tests here, where would I use them, huh? Maybe if you read my posts you would understand the reason I am even considering transferring to one of the "big three" is because I CANNOT use CLEP credits to get a BA at a local college.

JBjunior Wrote:Also, I don't want to hear your excuses. I live in the North West as well, Alaska which is even more isolated and has less resources, and I was able to complete my degree.......

I never said Washington is isolated or doesn't have resources, schools just don't accept CLEP credits here anymore. Yeah Alaska is in it's own world up there, that's great you got your degree up there good for you.
Rousseau Wrote:Nope, sorry you're wrong...

"College-Level Examinations Program (CLEP) Information
All CLEP exam scores range from 20 to 80. A score of 99 indicates that credit is awarded on an individually-determined basis"

For example Seattle Central CC website USED to state that they accepted English Comp CLEPs with score of 99.

Now this is what their website states:

"Seattle Central does not currently accept the CLEP Test. Advanced Placement (AP) scores are accepted, but should be submitted to Admissions for evaluation."

I don't know why it's so hard for you to believe that CLEPs are not accepted at schools here and especially not accepted as credit by the 4-year universities here.

The 4-year universities here do not accept CLEP credits. That would be pointless to take the CLEP tests here, where would I use them, huh? Maybe if you read my posts you would understand the reason I am even considering transferring to one of the "big three" is because I CANNOT use CLEP credits to get a BA at a local college.

I never said Washington is isolated or doesn't have resources, schools just don't accept CLEP credits here anymore. Yeah Alaska is in it's own world up there, that's great you got your degree up there good for you.

I don't even know where to begin. Let me explain the "99" part to you since you already quoted the first part correctly in that a score of 80 is the highest you can get. The "99" means that the score they will accept and allow in is DIFFERENT for everyone. If they so determine for one student they may make an exception and accept a 50 or if they so determine they may allow another student to only come in with a 80. That is what the "indvidually-determined" basis is. It isn't that they only accepted the magical score of "99" it is that they left themselves the window to accept CLEPs as they see fit.

We also accepted that the schools don't accept it there the first three times you said that and we moved on. We were then attempting to help you get your CLEP tests done to transfer to the big three but according to you that isn't possible either. You will take the CLEPs there (the school doesn't maintain the records Prometrics does) and then you would have them transferred in. THAT is why you would take them there even though you can't use them there.
Here is my recommendation:

Search the "big three" website's and locate the required courses needed for your desired degree. Then compare them, finding the common classes. (I would print them out, sit down with a highlighter to mark, and jot these common courses down on another paper to keep track).
Reason for doing this: you do not need to commit to any of them right now, just work towards gathering as many credits as possible first. By going after the common ones, you will be able to make the final decision when you are within "striking distance" of the degree to save on those yearly fees!

Then I would cross reference the CLEP and DSST test list and see which ones can be tested out of and start testing. I know with the CLEP, you do not have to identify a college to send the scores to, I am unsure of the DSST since I have never taken one. They will just "hold" them until you request a transcript from them at a later date, max 20 years. (As previously stated, Prometric is the "holder" and "keeper" of the test scores, NOT the college or test center you go to). To locate the nearest testing center, go to the websites below and enter your local information to see your closest test centers (I would assume both CLEP and DSST centers are the same, but for clarification, here is the search for both):
CLEP: CLEP Test Center Search
DSST: DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com

I would then find a local CC that has semester hours NOT quarter hours. Quarter hours transfer differently, and could ultimately mess up your "blueprint" to finish quickly. Going to a CC with semester hours makes it a lot "prettier"/ eaier to see the entire picture and know what the transferred hours will be. I would look into taking the classes that you cannot take a CLEP/DSST for here. There may still be a few classes that you NEED to take at one of the "big three" just because they have their degree plans arranged so that you cannot get it certain classes fulfilled anywhere else, which is usually true for all colleges.

Just because you are "early" in your college endeavors, don't let that stop you from obtaining your goals. The fact that you are already sick of college indicates that you have a high likelihood of dropping out of the traditional setting of brick and mortar.....that was my life story 20 years ago. I finally just completed all requirements through TESC and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (mainly because I didn't have to interact in person with people I have no connection with and didn't care about and was able to do be "in class" at any time of the day instead of a set time).

If you are a good test taker as you indicated, you should be able to get a good jump on a lot of the basic required classes that are the ones that seem to bog students down into boredom and dropping out.

Good luck on mapping this all out....no one said it would be fun or easy....but it will be tedious and time consuming until you graduate!
Geezer Wrote:Choose a degree from either Excelsior or TESC. Test out of most of it using Instacert and the advice from this forum (if you are fully employed and work 40-50 hours a week, then it will take approx 1 year and 6K total to get your BA/BS)

Then you can enroll in a Harvard Masters program here Degree Programs: Harvard Extension School (will take a couple of years and cost $20K

So for the amount of money and time that you would normally spend trying to get a bachelors degree in Washington (approx 25K and that's if you stick with it), you could get a Bachelors degree then a Masters from Harvard.

or you could just spin your wheels for another few years...

This is realistic to get a BA in about a year starting with minimal credits (approx. 16) just by testing out of the majority of courses? wow

JBjunior Wrote:You will take the CLEPs there (the school doesn't maintain the records Prometrics does) and then you would have them transferred in. THAT is why you would take them there even though you can't use them there.
Yes that was already the plan, of course I would take the CLEPs here if I went to one of the "big three", that's a given.

I'm just looking for advice on the "big three"... someone else suggested I didn't know much about my local area (which is frustrating because I clearly know more about the policies at local colleges here from trying to make it work and that's the whole reason I'm here asking about the "the big three") and that I should earn my degree locally and use CLEP credits (which I can't)... then I corrected them because, no, I cannot earn a BA locally using CLEP credits like I already stated... and I think that's where you got confused and joined in the extraneous exchange to tell me in a condescending way that I don't know what I'm talking about and why should anyone help me and some other irrelevant stuff about me supposedly making up excuses for not having enough resources (which I never said) blah blah blah... So I reiterated the fact that I cannot use CLEPs to earn a degree locally (and god-knows-why but somehow that made you think "Oh, they don't know that they can take CLEPs at a local testing center")... but it's all good, thanks anyways! Wink

Wires Wrote:Here is my recommendation:

Search the "big three" website's and locate the required courses needed for your desired degree. Then compare them, finding the common classes. (I would print them out, sit down with a highlighter to mark, and jot these common courses down on another paper to keep track).
Reason for doing this: you do not need to commit to any of them right now, just work towards gathering as many credits as possible first. By going after the common ones, you will be able to make the final decision when you are within "striking distance" of the degree to save on those yearly fees!

Then I would cross reference the CLEP and DSST test list and see which ones can be tested out of and start testing. I know with the CLEP, you do not have to identify a college to send the scores to, I am unsure of the DSST since I have never taken one. They will just "hold" them until you request a transcript from them at a later date, max 20 years. (As previously stated, Prometric is the "holder" and "keeper" of the test scores, NOT the college or test center you go to). To locate the nearest testing center, go to the websites below and enter your local information to see your closest test centers (I would assume both CLEP and DSST centers are the same, but for clarification, here is the search for both):
CLEP: CLEP Test Center Search
DSST: DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com

I would then find a local CC that has semester hours NOT quarter hours. Quarter hours transfer differently, and could ultimately mess up your "blueprint" to finish quickly. Going to a CC with semester hours makes it a lot "prettier"/ eaier to see the entire picture and know what the transferred hours will be. I would look into taking the classes that you cannot take a CLEP/DSST for here. There may still be a few classes that you NEED to take at one of the "big three" just because they have their degree plans arranged so that you cannot get it certain classes fulfilled anywhere else, which is usually true for all colleges.

Just because you are "early" in your college endeavors, don't let that stop you from obtaining your goals. The fact that you are already sick of college indicates that you have a high likelihood of dropping out of the traditional setting of brick and mortar.....that was my life story 20 years ago. I finally just completed all requirements through TESC and thoroughly enjoyed the experience (mainly because I didn't have to interact in person with people I have no connection with and didn't care about and was able to do be "in class" at any time of the day instead of a set time).

If you are a good test taker as you indicated, you should be able to get a good jump on a lot of the basic required classes that are the ones that seem to bog students down into boredom and dropping out.

Good luck on mapping this all out....no one said it would be fun or easy....but it will be tedious and time consuming until you graduate!

Thank you! that was definitely very helpful!! I see, because of the yearly fee it makes since to take all the possible CLEPs and DSSTs for the degree beforehand as well as the rest of the courses elsewhere before enrolling.

Since all my local CCs and colleges are on a quarter system here (and like you said it's better for transfer if they are on semester)... I'll probably just take some BYU Distance courses because they are nice and cheap.
Rousseau Wrote:.. someone else suggested I didn't know much about my local area (which is frustrating because I clearly know more about the policies at local colleges here from trying to make it work and that's the whole reason I'm here asking for advice on "the big three") and that I should earn my degree locally and use CLEP credits (which I can't)... then I corrected them because, no, I cannot earn a BA locally using CLEP credits like I already stated... and I think that's where you got confused and joined in the extraneous exchange to tell me in a condescending way that I don't know what I'm talking about and why should anyone help me and some other irrelevant stuff about me supposedly making up excuses for not having enough resources (which I never said) blah blah blah... So I reiterated the fact that I cannot use CLEPs to earn a degree locally (and god-knows-why but somehow that made you think "Oh, they don't know that they can take CLEPs at a local testing center")... but it's all good, thanks anyways! Wink

Jennifer. I used to go by Someone Else, but it was just confusing, so I pretty much like to be called Jennifer to keep things clear. Smile
After you take a deep breath and count to 10, you should re-read what you asked and THEN the answer I wrote to you. Your summary wasn't my advice to you. In any event, I'm sure you will find the information here helpful.
Rousseau Wrote:Yes that was already the plan, of course I would take the CLEPs here if I went to one of the "big three", that's a given.

I'm just looking for advice on the "big three"... someone else suggested I didn't know much about my local area (which is frustrating because I clearly know more about the policies at local colleges here from trying to make it work and that's the whole reason I'm here asking about the "the big three") and that I should earn my degree locally and use CLEP credits (which I can't)... then I corrected them because, no, I cannot earn a BA locally using CLEP credits like I already stated... and I think that's where you got confused and joined in the extraneous exchange to tell me in a condescending way that I don't know what I'm talking about and why should anyone help me and some other irrelevant stuff about me supposedly making up excuses for not having enough resources (which I never said) blah blah blah... So I reiterated the fact that I cannot use CLEPs to earn a degree locally (and god-knows-why but somehow that made you think "Oh, they don't know that they can take CLEPs at a local testing center")... but it's all good, thanks anyways! Wink

I am done going in circles but maybe it was when you stated this on the first page (feel free to go look):

"Well that would be great if I actually could take the CLEPs here, but like I said above. Thanks for the input! Moving on... anyone else have advice?"

That definitely gave me the idea that you didn't "think" you could take the CLEPs there and you stated several other things to confirm that. It has been a fun conversation but I am done with the merry-go-round.

No offense to Jennifer (aka Someone Else) or any other women here but you must be a woman, there is no other way around it.

Hopefully someone can step in and lead you in the right direction, I have had my daily dose.
Rousseau Wrote:...five stages of grief...

Hi Rousseau,

You appear to have a lot of energy which you can focus for short periods of time. This is fantastic as it's a great way to study then test out for college credit.

I came to find out about testing out through Lawrie Miller's website. Before you click on the link, understand that a fair amount of information is a bit out of date but the overall principle still applies. Each of the schools have additional requirements over just taking CLEPs now but all are manageable.

Caveat aside, here's the link: BAin4weeks. No it's not a scam, yes the information is real (if somewhat weathered by the progress of policy).

Get and read the student handbooks for each of the 'Big 3'. Identify the general education credit distribution requirements for an AA, AS, BA, BS and what-have-you.

If you want to jump straight in, then fire off on any of the CLEPs which satisfy those requirements but make sure the college doesn't have a specific policy, i.e. Excelsior has a written English requirement which a CLEP alone won't satisfy.

Search and read this website, it is gold. Then start setting short-term goals and get yourself moving.

Good luck Smile

edit: oh and regarding the perceived snobbery surrounding these institutions; "Hmm, yes I got my degree from there. Yes, it was from xxx located in yyy. I took my sociology and maths exams for my course at zzz, my literature and psychology exams at aaa, the institution was very helpful."
To be honest, it depends who you are trying to justify this to and whether you actually need to justify anything (to yourself?). Once you're working, a degree is just a tick in a box.

edit2: oh, if you're a US resident, then you could get yourself another credit or more today. Search the forum for the FEMA program to fill some of those free elective credits. Mostly, just read the forum Smile
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Rousseau Wrote:I'm 22, currently going to CC in Seattle, WA. I only have 25 credits (quarter credits which would be 16-point-something semester credits) and I'm getting very sick of community college and want to fast track my education. Something I'm sure a lot of you could relate too.

I've always tested exceptionally well, and my entire senior year of high school I completed in about a month through BYU Independent Study (distance learning). When I heard about CLEP testing I checked to see if my CC offered credit for it, which they don't. Then I began researching and came across the "big three".

SO now I'm considering transferring to one of the "big three", to test out of a lot of my credits and fast track through my BA (probably doing poly sci, but maybe even history or psych).

Hi Rousseau!

I think it's great that you realize there is an alternative way to get your degree - and I also totally understand your frustration at community college. I've been attending my local CC and am fed up with it, between the problems in administration, with financial aid, and then, outside of a few challenging classes, there was the lack of creative thought and the instructors who seem to be just waiting for retirement. banghead

That's why I'm here - to find another way. :willynilly:

Anyway, I know from my own experience that the majority of those in education today are about twenty years behind the times when it come to technology. So it doesn't surprise me that they haven't updated the info on the collegeboard site. Not one bit.

needless ramble: I almost have nightmares about the workstudy I had once. Worked for a professor - she had piles upon piles of paperwork that would make forests weep. In her files, there were many copies of emails that were five, six or more years old. Pages of links to websites that old (I was sure they were all gone)... every time she had me check her emails, she'd ask me to print a copy.. oh, the wasted paper in that office alone. Now the school has gone 'green', and I'm sure they've printed up lots of flyers about it. :ack:

Sorry for the ramble - back to you. If you are going to do one of the big three, you can take the Clep tests and enroll after you've gathered up a bunch. You also could look into B&M colleges that offer online degrees. For an Associates, you'll see that some have enrolled in Clovis Community College (NM). They only charge a little more than $200 for up to 7 credits for out of state residents. These could transfer to the big three, or others, depending on what you take, your major, and the college you choose. Geezer also had a good suggestion - transfer after getting your Associates to Harvard Extension. Their online degrees aren't totally online, though - they require some on campus/residency classes. The thing about HES though - if you get an associates with good grades & get into Phi Theta Kappa, PTK has a scholarship available for the first three classes (requirement before you enroll in a degree program), then there's the opportunity to apply for PTK to pay for half tuition for the degree. In other words, it would be so affordable coming to Cambridge for a semester or two would be feasible.

Some other B & M colleges that have online degrees you might want to look into (they cost less than most, too) Peru State College, Columbia College. I like Peterson's search engine for online programs, too.

In the end, where you choose to go to school should be your decision, and only your decision, along with what you decide to major in. Not your family or anyone else, for that matter.

Best of luck - and make sure you have fun, too!