Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would going from Harvard to BU be a huge step down?
It has a huge international student body, I am surprised it's not ranked higher in the global rankings.

What are BU's peer schools?
The neighbors kid was just accepted into Boston University. They're raving about him going to study biomedical engineering. I don't know a lot about higher education so I am wondering if someone could please tell me if BU is considered an academically reputable university. What other schools can it be compared to?

Is it prestigious?
The consensus back in prep school was that Boston College was the good one. That was then. Now I say, their son's going to study biomedical engineering? They should be raving, regardless of where. Good luck to him.
BA, Psychology, Thomas Edison - September 2012 with Honors (Arnold Fletcher Award)
(1st round for about 100CR: 11/28/11-12/22/11, long break, 2nd round to finish: 6/12/12-6/25/12)
ECE: Research Methods in Experimental Psychology - A | Social  Psychology - A | Psychology of Adulthood - B | Abnormal Psychology - A
CLEP:
 Spanish - 74 | Analyzing and Interpreting Lit. - 77 | English Comp. w/essay - 58 | Intro to Psych. - 69 | Human Growth and Development - 56 | French - 71 | Introduction to Sociology - 65 | Introductory Educational Psychology - 71 | Social Sciences and History - 59 | American Literature - 50 (Got lucky - zero prep) | Principles of Macroeconomics - 59
DSST:
  Intro to Computing - 435 | Here's to Your Health - 445 | Substance Abuse - 421 | Fundamentals of Counseling - 64 | Organizational Behavior - 70
ALEKS:
 Statistics for Behavioral Science - 70 | Intermediate Algebra - 77 | College Algebra - 77 | PreCalculus - 70 | Trigonometry - 76
FEMA:
24 credits
Jude84 Wrote:The neighbors kid was just accepted into Boston University. They're raving about him going to study biomedical engineering. I don't know a lot about higher education so I am wondering if someone could please tell me if BU is considered an academically reputable university. What other schools can it be compared to?

Is it prestigious?

This again but now the neighbors kid??? Why not refer back to your posts starting earlier this year on the same subject. Did your brother ever get in? Maybe he could give you a first hand opinion?
My brother is doing fine. The neighbor's kid got in now and now I am wondering just how good this school really is.

And it's Boston University not Boston College.
Jude84 Wrote:And it's Boston University not Boston College.

And your point is? Both of your threads are titled Boston University. Or, do you mean this thread is actually asking about Boston College not Boston University as titled?hilarious

I am obviously missing something? Prior threads -

http://www.degreeforum.net/off-topic/135...-step.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/off-topic/139...rsity.html
With an Ex who double-majored in biomedical engineering and electrical engineering at the #1 school for the field in undergrad and #7 school for grad, I do know that particular field is one where the name of the school does not matter nearly as much as the particular program's reputation and ranking, when it comes to getting into graduate programs (learned during a year of helping select a graduate program). Below is a link to the US News ranking list for that specialty, which has a small number of reputable graduate program openings, creating a very competitive graduate race. Boston U. is not listed in the ranking, but who is to say they are not #11 (haven't invested the time to look beyond). For biomedical, there are better choices. Still, it's a decent school for other programs...and maybe that one, too. Hopefully he earned plenty of scholarships and grants, though, or his parents are independently wealthy.

Biomedical | Rankings | US News
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
What schools are it's peers so I can get a rough estimation as to where it stands?

By decent school, do you mean it's not as elite as Yale but still as reputable as say Tulane or University of Texas Austin?
bricabrac Wrote:And your point is? Both of your threads are titled Boston University. Or, do you mean this thread is actually asking about Boston College not Boston University as titled?hilarious

I am obviously missing something? Prior threads -

http://www.degreeforum.net/off-topic/135...-step.html
http://www.degreeforum.net/off-topic/139...rsity.html

The topic never finished. I was asking about peer schools.
Jude84 Wrote:What schools are it's peers so I can get a rough estimation as to where it stands?

By decent school, do you mean it's not as elite as Yale but still as reputable as say Tulane or University of Texas Austin?

With regard to the biomedical engineering major, it's somewhere below Johns Hopkins, Georgia Institute of Tech., Duke, Mass Institute of Tech., U. of Cali - San Diego, Rice U., Stanford, U. of Penn., U. of Washington, U. of Cali. - Berkeley, U. of Michigan - Ann Arbor, and maybe a few others depending on where it falls in the field's ranking.

But ultimately, what does it matter? It's the neighbor's kid. The kid and his or her parents can do the research. Either be proud along with them, or change the subject to the weather. It's their business.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another step toward open access Alpha 2 1,002 09-13-2022, 09:16 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
Lightbulb Elon Goat Token the Next Huge Crypto! LevelUP 0 579 06-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 588 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Harvard Medical School going online for fall DIGI-212 8 2,491 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Nilv
  17-year-old to graduate from Harvard days after graduating high school quigongene 0 1,131 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Harvard Lawsuit sanantone 12 2,446 01-15-2019, 04:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Searchable PDF Conversion - Huge Size bjcheung77 5 1,291 05-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Curse the Harvard Extension School.....(good actually) rebel100 20 4,015 08-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Last Post: rebel100
  15 Year old Harvard Extension Graduate Prloko 7 1,941 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Harvard Extension Bachelors Webinar rebel100 0 946 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Last Post: rebel100