Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news about TESC math/natural science
The good news is that aleks business statistics works for upper level credit in the math/natural science section and aleks intro to stats shows up in there also. What a great way to grab 6 credits!

Check it out. This is from my eval. I only need two upper level math or science classes to knock this out. Of course I'll need to get those plus some more credits after conferral of my bsba cis due to their policy.

I hope this helps someone.

2.. CIS-301... Management Information Sy 3.00 CR CIS-301 *NE
2.. OPM-351... Business Statistics...... 3.00 CR OPM-351 *NE
1.. MAP4302 Diff Equations........... 3.00 C MAT-333 *TE
1.. MAC3283 Eng Calc III............. 3.00 A MAT-331 *TE
2.. STA-201... Principles of Statistics. 3.00 CR STA-201 *NE
1.. MAC3282 Eng Calc II.............. 3.00 C MAT-234 *TE
1.. MAC3281 Eng Calc I............... 3.00 A MAT-233 *TE
_____________________________________________________________________ 3 credits
_____________________________________________________________________ 3 credits
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
it definitely helped me ryoder. I'm slowly following the path you've blazed for the rest of us. I'm currently getting my credits evaluated by an external evaluator (since my school is canadian) and crossing my fingers on how many credits are awarded to me as upper level...

But i'll definitely take advantage of that advanced business stats...good to know I can use both. I haven't started ALEKS yet though. I wonder, if you already know the material, are you sometimes just immediately awarded the credit, or do you still have to go through all of the topics?
ryoder Wrote:This is from my eval. I only need two upper level math or science classes to knock this out.

Ryoder,

Just thinking out loud... I wonder if you have already met the requirement of 18 UL credits? You might want to speak with an advisor or someome in the registrars office MAT233 and MAT234 may be considered UL courses. In certain subject areas 200 level is considered UL (ex ACC201/202). If so the Nat Sci clep would complete the concentration section for you.

[INDENT]see the description for MAT231/232:
Calculus I (MAT-231) Calculus I is an intensive, higher-level course in mathematics that builds on courses like Precalculus for Technology.
Calculus II (MAT-232) An intensive, higher-level course in mathematics that builds on Calculus I.

[/INDENT]

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac - I shudder to think of talking to TESC about this again.
Some of their advisors are nice but too busy to talk about second degrees, one guy in particular is just rude.
I realize they are from New Jersey and I am down here in the south so maybe I am mistaking northern charm for rudeness.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I'm working on this degree myself and am also advising a friend on how he can do with a minimum of expense. Here's what I came up with so far for the Area of Study for him (wish I had had Straighterline as an option when I started working on this degree):

LL (15 credits)

Calculus I Straighterline 3 cr 200 level
Calculus II Straighterline 3 cr 200 level
Environment and Humanity DSST 3 cr 200 level
Anatomy and Physiology I and II non-lab Straighterline 6 cr 200 level

UL (18 credits)

MIS DSST 3 cr 300 level
Business Statistics Straighterline 3 cr 300 level
Environmental Chemistry Utah State University 3 cr 300 level
Evolution Utah State University 3 cr 300 level
Environmental Science TESC 6 cr 300 level
When you have a question about what TESC might/could take or if you need to build a case for classifying a course as Upper Level go to the PLA database here
Thomas Edison State College/ Standard Prior Learning Assessment
and here Thomas Edison State College/ Search the Prior Learning Assessment Description Database
and start punching in descriptions....you would be surprised what comes up
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer,

Thats exactly where I go to get my information!Smile

Ryoder,

Consider it northern charm.Big Grin Our tone is definitely different than our brethren in the south. I have found myself guilty of it when last in SC. The tempo of our cultures is much different. Notwithstanding there are some strange cookies working at tesc.

Going forward, if there is an advisor who you have a better rapport with, make a 30 minute phone appointment to speak with that person. It doesn’t matter if you only have two questions and it should take only ten minutes. I think sometimes they like that scenario. I see it this way, I've paid an annual tuition, so I should get all the phone assistance I need. What else do they really do? Not sure if you realize but when you call the express line they have a five minute window to handle your call. When it gets close to the five minute mark they get snippy. You need to get out the situation fast - basically give them your question quickly, let them enter the information and respond whether it’s approved or not. I use the express line for confirmations or to enter courses I basically already know will work.

My advice on this is to call registrar’s office direct, and ask to speak to someone in the evaluation department (there is a name for this group but I can’t remember it off hand). You could also send an email through blackboard to advising. I have had better luck on the phone than through emails. Some on the board prefer emails. My problem with that is if I need to argue an issue, I can’t do it through email. It’s the luck of the draw.

Don't worry about the push back of the second degree. Once you are in the program that changes. On one hand I do understand their view that for the added time and cost of the second degree you could start the masters program which to academia is a big step. But considering we are testers, its actually very cheap to get the second degree and then go on to the masters program if that is your goal.

Good luck!

*Wow, this was a long post.
One more point, you took the 300 level network technology tecep exam and the PF CIS courses. Shouldn't they all fall under the natsci/mat concentration? Seems you would have to only do a few clep/dsst 100-200 level exams, even femas to fulfill the new credits?? LOL

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Yenisei Wrote:I'm working on this degree myself and am also advising a friend on how he can do with a minimum of expense. Here's what I came up with so far for the Area of Study for him (wish I had had Straighterline as an option when I started working on this degree):

LL (15 credits)

Calculus I Straighterline 3 cr 200 level
Calculus II Straighterline 3 cr 200 level
Environment and Humanity DSST 3 cr 200 level
Anatomy and Physiology I and II non-lab Straighterline 6 cr 200 level

UL (18 credits)

MIS DSST 3 cr 300 level
Business Statistics Straighterline 3 cr 300 level
Environmental Chemistry Utah State University 3 cr 300 level
Evolution Utah State University 3 cr 300 level
Environmental Science TESC 6 cr 300 level

I am curious what you are planning to do with this degree? I understand ryoder he/she is going for the Math and has a lot of higher level math classes. As you have it listed you are not taking any science labs (unless the Utah state classes are in seat with lab) Doesn't the Environmental Chemistry course require at least a general Chem Prereq? I have this degree, but I started it before 200 level was ruled out as upper level and there was a different requirement. I went for this degree because I have worked in a lab for many years and I had over 25 science credits with labs. I wish TESC had a chemistry degree I could have done that with PLA's. I was just wondering why you what this concentration?
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
My Area of Study is probably going to look like this:

LL

Anatomy & Physiology New Mexico Junior College 8 cr 200 level
Microbiology New Mexico Junior College 4 cr 200 or 300 level
Statistics Northern Virgina Community College 3 cr 200 level OR
a CLEP/DSST exam

UL

MIS DSST 3 cr AND/OR
Business Statistics Straighterline or ALEKS
Calculus III LSU 3 cr
Linear Algebra Open University UK TBD
Number Theory Open University UK TBD
Real Analysis Open University UK TBD

The person who is doing the concentration I listed above already has a job and has some interest in environmental science and biology. He's going to have chemistry courses in the Nat Sci/Math portion of Gen Ed. The USU courses don't have a lab. I am planning on grad study in either math or, if I think I can't handle it, biology.

The Nat Sci/Math Area of Study is not that difficult to achieve- from the looks of things, at least 9 of the 33 credits can easily be tested out of, and 6 more obtained via ALEKS. There are lots of biology, CS and math courses out there, and if someone wants organic chemistry, biochemistry, environmental chemistry and inorganic chemistry, there are some options there as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,590 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,694 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,461 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU BA MATH plan - feedback appreciated MeOldChina 8 2,865 06-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Last Post: MeOldChina
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,397 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,198 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,345 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Excelsior Math Reqs Iamtehking 1 1,166 05-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Kima