Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would one graded course make sense for me? (Anyone in HR?)
I have some work experience(1 year digital marketing at a small business, 1 year field sales/promoter medium sized business, 7 months Sales Admin. Intern at a Global Tech company).

But, I'm in my mid twenties and I'm worried I will be asked about GPA, as I will be a "recent graduate" to HR and won't have enough work experience in the relevant field of marketing. Would it make sense for me to take one course that's graded so I can avoid awkward question(s) and be seen amidst a pile of resumes?

My goal would be to work in the tech sector in either San Francisco or Los Angeles.
It would cost me around $1350 more than just taking a TECEP, but if it boosts my resume by a significant factor, I think it is definitely worth it. What do you think?

Any advice would me much appreciated! Smile
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
I'm not in the field you're going into, but I've never been asked my GPA and I've had HR folks tell me that not many people put their GPA on their resume (and they're not that interested in it anyway). For companies that are actually interested in your GPA, they're likely to ask for transcripts. They'll probably easily be able to see your GPA was based on one course.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:I'm not in the field you're going into, but I've never been asked my GPA and I've had HR folks tell me that not many people put their GPA on their resume (and they're not that interested in it anyway). For companies that are actually interested in your GPA, they're likely to ask for transcripts. They'll probably easily be able to see your GPA was based on one course.

I highly doubt they would ask for a transcript, thanks for the input though.
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
Again, I've never personally run into, but it's not especially unheard of -- if it's a company that actually cares about GPA, why wouldn't they want to verify it?.

You're more likely to be applying for companies who do no care about your GPA.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I don't think GPA would be a deal breaker. Do they even verify education anymore?
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I would be more worried about claiming a high GPA and then having it come out that it was based on one course. I would say that unless you want to take multiple courses, preferably in your AOS, it isn't worth doing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I worked in HR for years - several high tech companies in the Silicon Valley. I've never asked about GPA from anyone. Never discussed it. No manager ever asked about it. Work experience was king. The only companies I knew that asked for GPA were in certain fields, or very high-level positions, and then they did ask for transcripts. So just 1 grade at a school is not a bonus, and a complete waste of time in my opinion.

And, we ALWAYS verified that someone graduated from the school they said they did. ALWAYS. Deal-breaker there, to say you graduated but didn't.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks, dfrecore. That's basically what I was getting at. You're not likely to be interviewing with companies who care about GPA, but if you ever do, they'll want you to back it up with a transcript request. And that one course GPA will look odd.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I've decided to not pursue the graded course, thanks for the advice. :iagree:
ACE/ALT 41 CR

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does StraighterLine credit transfer to TESU as Credit/No Credit or is it graded? csyzarc 2 2,541 11-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  What's a good price for actual, graded college courses? Silly_Me 13 1,817 06-10-2017, 10:48 PM
Last Post: keepsingin
  TESC: Can a Guided Study capstone course be completed/graded in less than 12 weeks? managerman 0 400 04-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Last Post: managerman
  Does this psychology plan make sense? Nichelenole 2 622 12-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Last Post: Nichelenole
  Can someone help me make sense of my Charter Oak Advising Worksheet Mindcrime30 5 874 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  What to take to make this requirement? Technical Writing (ENG-201) for TESC? lprstn 5 688 09-24-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: lprstn
  The Importance of TESC Graded Credits When Applying to Graduate School Saharapost 22 1,797 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM
  It all makes sense now. sanantone 8 956 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Does it makes sense to have two AAS Degrees? chiquitacobbe 32 2,521 06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Last Post: chiquitacobbe
  Moving graded courses to ACE credit. TyrantUT 18 1,883 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM