Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wright University
It's a bit unusual for a new university to pop up.  It's unclear if this school will offer much int he way of distance learning
New University May Open in Seattle Area (insidehighered.com)
(10-30-2021, 09:38 PM)Alpha Wrote: It's a bit unusual for a new university to pop up.  It's unclear if this school will offer much int he way of distance learning
New University May Open in Seattle Area (insidehighered.com)

The name is interesting. Since it's pronounced Right U, it sounds like it maybe trying to imply something either subtly or not so subtly. Few interesting notes....nothing on the website states what their fundraising goal is. There are no plans for degree offerings mentioned either. I didn't see either of these and I looked at all of the web pages. I checked out their Instagram and it seems like it's all about activism not education. Maybe the activism is their education? It's really strange to see a new university starting today since so many colleges are closing and so many others are struggling. They'll definitely need some serious donors to actually open the doors and stay afloat.
If I were Wright State University in Ohio, I would sue. Make it expensive for them and get them to switch.
(10-31-2021, 07:57 PM)eriehiker Wrote: If I were Wright State University in Ohio, I would sue.  Make it expensive for them and get them to switch.

You can't do that as long as they are not trying to trick you into making it seem as if it's a certain school.  There are other schools with the same names out there.  

Wheaton College in MA...and in IL
Union College in NY, KY or NE
Columbia University (NY), Columbia College (SC in the state capital of Columbia) and Columbia State CC (TN)
UC San Diego, San Diego State University, University of San Diego - all in San Diego
University of Washington (WA) and Washington University (MO)

Part of it is that there are a lot of duplicate city names throughout the US, so if you name your school after your city, there's an issue right there (25 States have a city named Springfield alone).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-30-2021, 09:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: [quote pid='349971' dateline='1635647938']
The name is interesting. Since it's pronounced Right U, it sounds like it maybe trying to imply something either subtly or not so subtly. Few interesting notes....nothing on the website states what their fundraising goal is. There are no plans for degree offerings mentioned either. I didn't see either of these and I looked at all of the web pages. I checked out their Instagram and it seems like it's all about activism not education. Maybe the activism is their education? It's really strange to see a new university starting today since so many colleges are closing and so many others are struggling. They'll definitely need some serious donors to actually open the doors and stay afloat.

[/quote]

Nothing to do with "Right" - named after Nancy Wright Hays. Info here - from the University's websitehttps://www.wrightuniversity.net/nancy   This is NOT a copycat thingy, so please - no more talk of lawsuits. Interesting reading. All of it. Highly recommended. 

I wish these enterprising, ambitious women, concerned with social good and inclusiveness, every success. 

PS - I read they plan eventually to offer courses/degrees in something like 27 different disciplines, so I doubt "Maybe activism is their education?"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • jsd
(10-31-2021, 11:48 PM)Johann Wrote:
(10-30-2021, 09:46 PM)ss20ts Wrote: [quote pid='349971' dateline='1635647938']

Nothing to do with "Right" - named after Nancy Wright Hays. Info here - from the University's websitehttps://www.wrightuniversity.net/nancy   This is NOT a copycat thingy, so please - no more talk of lawsuits. Interesting reading. All of it. Highly recommended. 

I wish these enterprising, ambitious women, concerned with social good and inclusiveness, every success. 

PS - I read they plan eventually to offer courses/degrees in something like 27 different disciplines, so I doubt "Maybe activism is their education?"
[/quote]

I know what the university is named after. Like I said, I read the entire website. The pronunciation of Wright can imply something especially given their mission. They didn't name the school Nancy Wright Hays University. They named it Wright University which does say something as Wright was her maiden name and not her married name even though she was married to the love of her life and was married for decades.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,423 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 314 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,716 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,757 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 738 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,309 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,735 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 400 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 563 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,591 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff