Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
XAMK
(09-22-2023, 01:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's awesome, so they do mention somewhere these are transferred in as Foreign (RA) equivalent... you just need to decide now on the residency waiver or taking a flat rate term...  Good to know what the courses come in as and the credit numbers too... all those 999's, just wow...
The transfer summary says TESU - Foreign for these credits and there’s a running total of foreign credits applied in My Progress for each program. 

My son will be doing the SOS & the 2 required capstones via TESU. He will likely end up doing a flat-rate term with two more classes, but hasn’t decided yet. He’s still working through Sophia and later SDC.

(09-22-2023, 01:16 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Too bad they're all LL. But that's still a lot of good credits for almost nothing!

He filed an appeal with ACEI but after not gaining any traction with the provided syllabi, he did not feel like chasing it further as the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. One could pursue further by referring to the degree plans available via XAMK. 

At less than $6 per credit, you won’t hear me complain.
In progress: HAU MBA Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • Pikachu
It´s understandable that "The Basics of Financial Aspects of Leadership" ending being finance and not leadership (as it previously reported and later changed), as that course is actually just a finance course.

Right now there´s a Graduate level leadership course in XAMK at 60 euros.
Our son needs 3 credits of history. He has done modules 10-17 of the video games creation course at XAMK, but only Module 10 appears to be history ("History of Games Parts 1 and 2), which is 1 European credit = most likely 0.5 US credits.

Has anybody else here has this evaluated or transferred to TESU? My question is: How did the above poster get 3 US credits for "History of Games"? Which XAMK courses were those?

If XAMK does not work out for history, we are considering to be guinea pigs for Coopersmith's "History of Board Games". It sounds like fun and appropriate for a 13 year old. We are staying away from most history courses because he is very sensitive to violence and war related themes, and from art history because someone here said that it has a lot of nudity. Well, he might actually like that...
(12-30-2023, 07:47 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: If XAMK does not work out for history, we are considering to be guinea pigs for Coopersmith's "History of Board Games". It sounds like fun and appropriate for a 13 year old. We are staying away from most history courses because he is very sensitive to violence and war related themes, and from art history because someone here said that it has a lot of nudity. Well, he might actually like that...

Just for reference it doesn't appear an art history course would meet the history gen ed requirement at TESU. It would be classed as an art course rather than a history course, basically.

Conversely, it's a good sign that Coopersmith's new History of Board Games course is recommended by NCCRS for credit categorically "in History, Liberal Arts, or Social Science."
(12-30-2023, 07:47 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Our son needs 3 credits of history. He has done modules 10-17 of the video games creation course at XAMK, but only Module 10 appears to be history ("History of Games Parts 1 and 2), which is 1 European credit = most likely 0.5 US credits.

Has anybody else here has this evaluated or transferred to TESU? My question is: How did the above poster get 3 US credits for "History of Games"? Which XAMK courses were those?

If XAMK does not work out for history, we are considering to be guinea pigs for Coopersmith's "History of Board Games". It sounds like fun and appropriate for a 13 year old. We are staying away from most history courses because he is very sensitive to violence and war related themes, and from art history because someone here said that it has a lot of nudity. Well, he might actually like that...

IIRC, Art History I at Sophia doesn't have (much?) nudity. Maybe some Michaelangelo or something? You can download the course PDFs to preview them (whether you have an active subscription or not). Art History II is absolutely not appropriate for young children. I'd guess 15+, maybe?, and that's the bare minimum; at least 16 or 17 would probably be better (there are some very, very mature topics in Art History II). Art History I is mostly prehistoric stuff, Egyptian, etc.

But, as already stated, Art History doesn't count as history at most universities.

Unfortunately, he's too young for OnlineDegree. That history course was pretty good, nothing graphic (that I could remember), but there was discussion of war in the abstract.

You could preview the US History courses at Sophia the same as Art History. I don't remember those being violent or whatever, though it's been a while since I took them.

I also don't remember https://ea.asu.edu/courses/global-histor...0-hst-100/ being particularly graphic either. You could take it yourself for $25, then if it's appropriate he could take it the next time it's offered.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-04-2024, 08:42 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(12-30-2023, 07:47 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Our son needs 3 credits of history. He has done modules 10-17 of the video games creation course at XAMK, but only Module 10 appears to be history ("History of Games Parts 1 and 2), which is 1 European credit = most likely 0.5 US credits.

IIRC, Art History I at Sophia doesn't have (much?) nudity. Maybe some Michaelangelo or something? You can download the course PDFs to preview them (whether you have an active subscription or not). Art History II is absolutely not appropriate for young children. I'd guess 15+, maybe?, and that's the bare minimum; at least 16 or 17 would probably be better (there are some very, very mature topics in Art History II). Art History I is mostly prehistoric stuff, Egyptian, etc.

But, as already stated, Art History doesn't count as history at most universities.

Unfortunately, he's too young for OnlineDegree. That history course was pretty good, nothing graphic (that I could remember), but there was discussion of war in the abstract.

You could preview the US History courses at Sophia the same as Art History. I don't remember those being violent or whatever, though it's been a while since I took them.

I also don't remember https://ea.asu.edu/courses/global-histor...0-hst-100/ being particularly graphic either. You could take it yourself  for $25, then if it's appropriate he could take it the next time it's offered.

I wonder what you mean by very, very mature topics. Is it nude images? Or psychological stuff like suicide or adultery or stuff like that? Or violent war type topics? I am just curious.

I was not aware that ART-166 (either from SDC or Sophia) would not count for the history requirement at TESU, so we will probably not go that route anyway.

Coopersmith it is. Will first try History of Board Games, which requires a one-page essay on a popular board game to be emailed to them before you even do the exam. I prefer that over the essay type questions that you do within the exam. I will report here how the course goes. If he fails that, the backup plan is history of food trucks or history of ice cream. 

Unfortunately, won't be able to have those evaluated at TESU for a few more years, because he is only 13 years old. As soon as he turns 16, will do the academic evaluation at TESU.

Another thing I will have him do is these statistics.com courses: machine learning with python, python for analytics, network analysis. I wonder if any of those 3 will come in as UL for the TESU Bachelor of Computer Science. We shall see.
(01-04-2024, 12:44 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I wonder what you mean by very, very mature topics. Is it nude images? Or psychological stuff like suicide or adultery or stuff like that? Or violent war type topics? I am just curious.

I can't even explain properly because some of the "modern art" topics are so NSFW. There may or may not be a couple of nude pics; it's art, that's expected. No, what I remember is the description of one modern art installation. The "artist" had a boardwalk/wooden sidewalk set up (in an art gallery? I don't remember). Low to the ground. He is under the sidewalk, nude. As people walk over the sidewalk, he is... being intimate with himself. There were a couple more really NSFW ones, but that's the one that still sticks out in my mind.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 440 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  XAMK- video game creation help Personherebb9 2 655 08-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: flosfillin
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 7,489 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  Getting HAKA access with Xamk? freddiebear 12 2,113 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 951 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,264 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  can't log in to XAMK Learn wow 3 811 04-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Details on XAMK Courses? bdarei 7 1,252 04-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  XAMK Tourism Diploma rachel83az 21 4,015 10-17-2021, 07:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Free XAMK online courses for college credits? nomaduser 27 4,705 01-05-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: nomaduser