Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
XAMK
Before he works on his essay, make sure that you're working on it from the email used when signing up at XAMK.fi He will not get ECTS if he is doing this after signing up at the teachable site directly.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-11-2021, 06:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Before he works on his essay, make sure that you're working on it from the email used when signing up at XAMK.fi He will not get ECTS if he is doing this after signing up at the teachable site directly.
I ended up getting the same email from XAMK sent to both emails, just at different times. But I will take your advice. Thanks!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
(05-11-2021, 08:21 AM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 06:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Before he works on his essay, make sure that you're working on it from the email used when signing up at XAMK.fi He will not get ECTS if he is doing this after signing up at the teachable site directly.
I ended up getting the same email from XAMK sent to both emails, just at different times. But I will take your advice. Thanks!

Another thing I just remembered: It'll make it SO much easier to keep track of ECTS if he takes just one other class from regular XAMK. That will give him access to Peppi - the transcript area. This one looks like a good option for him: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ng-3-ects/ At least some of the others might be a bit much for a young teen. For instance, Focus on Finland isn't difficult but it does help if you have an interest in the subject.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • cwendy111, Pikachu
(05-11-2021, 08:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Another thing I just remembered: It'll make it SO much easier to keep track of ECTS if he takes just one other class from regular XAMK. That will give him access to Peppi - the transcript area. This one looks like a good option for him: https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ng-3-ects/ At least some of the others might be a bit much for a young teen. For instance, Focus on Finland isn't difficult but it does help if you have an interest in the subject.

Great tip! And it's in his "genre". I like getting to explore his potential interests for free. Is the format for the course you took directly from XAMK very different than the Game Design set up? I feel he may be in for a shock coming from the simplicity of the first module.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

(05-08-2021, 02:10 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: So here are how the game credits are transferred in. For the neuroscience one they want a syllabus so until then it'll be zero credits (sadface)

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

Just wanted to thank you for telling your story! That evaluation is a jaw dropping gold mine of credits. You have gifted us all! My earned his 1st ETCS! Did the Course taken directly at XAMK resemble the format of the Game Design course or will it be shell shock? I know your content was a heavier subject, but I am speaking more to the teaching format and assignment load.

WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
(05-12-2021, 10:38 PM)cwendy111 Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 08:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote:

Great tip! And it's in his "genre". I like getting to explore his potential interests for free. Is the format for the course you took directly from XAMK very different than the Game Design set up? I feel he may be in for a shock coming from the simplicity of the first module.

(05-08-2021, 02:10 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: So here are how the game credits are transferred in. For the neuroscience one they want a syllabus so until then it'll be zero credits (sadface)

Just wanted to thank you for telling your story! That evaluation is a jaw dropping gold mine of credits. You have gifted us all! My earned his 1st ETCS! Did the Course taken directly at XAMK resemble the format of the Game Design course or will it be shell shock? I know your content was a heavier subject, but I am speaking more to the teaching format and assignment load.

The Game design courses are set up differently than the other courses I've taken at XAMK. With that being said most of them are sort of self-paced where you have to finish a specific amount of work before the deadline, but you can finish it as early or as close as you want. I'll use the neuroscience one as the example. It has if I remember correctly 10ish quizzes that I had to complete within a 5 month time frame. Since I was bored at work most days I completed those within a 14 day time frame just doing quizzes during lunch. I think if he goes from game design to a similar paced course like neuroscience he'll be fine. There are others like environmental management where it's like a regular class, there's group projects, quizzes that have to be completed at a certain time and papers.

In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • cwendy111, Pikachu
Of all of the courses I've taken so far, none have been super difficult or unwieldy. However, they do tend to expect that you'll do Googling and reading outside of class. For instance, you might just be given a link to a homepage and be expected to familiarize yourself with the contents. For one of my courses about Finland, I was linked to DestinationFinland.com and was expected to read random articles there.

I do not expect that this will be an issue for the image editing course. I doubt that there will be random links to read. I would guess that there are 4 or 5 forum discussion posts where you link to some image that you uploaded to Imgur or something like that. And maybe 1 or 2 "big" projects where you upload something for the instructor to grade directly. Maybe quizzes instead of a couple of those assignments. It's 3 ECTS for the image editing class so they don't expect you to be doing a lot of work during the 8 weeks of the course.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • cwendy111, Pikachu
So is just start with the video games course and finished the first module.
This course will I do in my spare free time between my other courses.
I don't think I do every module, but it's nice to get more European credits.
I need to evaluate my Dutch credits, so I better can add a few more Finish credits just in case.
And I hope, of course, that they are valid as RA credits.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
ECTS should be just as valid as RA credits when they are coming from an actual university. I cannot promise the same of ECTS from ENEB but that would be another topic entirely. XAMK credits and Dutch credits should be fine.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
XAMK is currently offering a Master's-level Strategic Management course for 5 ECTS, starting at the end of August.

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ects-cr-2/
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
(06-17-2021, 01:55 PM)Flelm Wrote: XAMK is currently offering a Master's-level Strategic Management course for 5 ECTS, starting at the end of August.

https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ects-cr-2/

This is quite an enjoyable course (so far). There are a series of three essays to complete the course, all of which require a fair amount of reading beforehand, but the prompts are open-ended enough that you have a bit of freedom to focus on an aspect of strategic management which interests you most.

If you don't like writing, skip this one - 100% of your grade is based on your written submissions. It's definitely more work than the undergrad level courses, so there's always the Fundamentals of Strat Man if you're wanting something more straightfoward (https://www.xamk.fi/en/open-amk-courses/...ects-cr-2/).
[-] The following 2 users Like innen_oda's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, Flelm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 440 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  XAMK- video game creation help Personherebb9 2 655 08-08-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: flosfillin
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 7,493 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  Getting HAKA access with Xamk? freddiebear 12 2,113 06-01-2023, 12:44 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Coming Soon: Free Diploma of HE in Tourism & Service Business Management (XAMK) sarahmac 0 951 06-23-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  XAMK question k-k-k-katy 62 7,266 04-23-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  can't log in to XAMK Learn wow 3 811 04-14-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Details on XAMK Courses? bdarei 7 1,253 04-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  XAMK Tourism Diploma rachel83az 21 4,016 10-17-2021, 07:18 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Free XAMK online courses for college credits? nomaduser 27 4,706 01-05-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: nomaduser