Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You know what this forum needs?
cookderosa Wrote:... but a non-member would have to create an account. There is no way someone can read these posts without an account. ...

are you sure ?

I just opened Internet Explorer and copied this thread's address into it and it opened just fine

I have NEVER logged into this site with IE

I only use Chrome
bluebooger Wrote:are you sure ?

I just opened Internet Explorer and copied this thread's address into it and it opened just fine

I have NEVER logged into this site with IE

I only use Chrome

??? Maybe not? I thought you had to create an account to be a member here/view/post, but maybe that's not the case? On occasion I purge my computer and have to log back into everything including IC, so I don't know- I thought everyone did?
[quote=bluebooger]what's stopping you from going to your facebook page at this very moment and making a post there that says

-----
I have a new book coming out!
read more at http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...grees.html
-----

is it really too much work to do that ?

I HATE having facebook and google+ and tumblr and twitter links and 90% of the pages I visit
it's just more targeted advertising and snooping which sites I'm browsing

every time you visit a page that has one of those facebook links, facebook knows you were there whether you posted to facebook or not

and I HATE that so many discussion boards and other web sites are now doing "sign in with your facebook account"

screw that

on some discussion sites if you make a comment it automatically gets posted on your facebook page

again, screw that

it's like that nonsense google did when they first integrated youtube with google+

like a video ? it automatically gets liked on your google+ account
make a comment on a video ? the comment automatically shows on your google+ account

thank god they finally got rid of that nonsense

I don't need facebook knowing I'm visiting this site and then start giving me ads for snhu.edu

I don't need this site loading extra javascript and slowing down page loads

if I see something that's interesting here and I think it would benefit my friends to hear about it then I'll go to facebook and make a post about it

better yet, I'll send my friends an email[/QUOTE

We have a share feature now, but not to FB. It's over there next to the "like" button (which was added in the past 5 years or so). I can, and do, post things from here to other places, it's not too much work for ME, it's a marketing opportunity for the forum. There's a difference- I don't work here, don't get paid to post, to share or get any affiliate link money for the amazon link in my sig- those are just links- and IC isn't getting money either. There certainly are no ulterior motives going on, I just happen to think this is a GREAT forum and it's EASIER to share using buttons than copy/paste. Listen, I'm old enough that I used to share using POSTAL MAIL....so really....

Since I'm not computery, I don't know what a javascript does or doesn't do- or why adding FB to the share feature pages we already have would make things different than they are now?
I think of this forum as a little group of friends that I can talk to about anything or just ask any kind of question. I do know anything I say anywhere on the internet could end up anywhere else and I know if someone is good enough at IT they could find all of my user names and link it all together and find out everything about me. On the other hand if I keep a low profile no one will care to do that. If sharing is easy more people are prone to do it. If I just write a political opinion here I don't expect it is important enough for anyone to share if it is too much work.

I am pretty sure anyone can come into the forum and just look around, they just need to sign up if they want to post.

I also hate it when there are icons for every kind of social network on the page I am looking at. I refuse to access anything thru my facebook page and I hate that I can look up something for a friend or order something from the internet and I will get bombarded with ads for similar items. I know this is all to make money to pay for "free" services, but some I would rather pay for and keep my business private.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
In today's day and age, whether you have a FB, Twitter, Google+ button present or not: Big brother knows what you are doing on the internet... Google has bots that crawl the entire internet for information...

A good rule of thumb is: Don't post anything on the internet no matter where you are posting at unless you want the world to know about it...

A dedicated VPN will help out a lot, but alas even those aren't fool proof...
2014 MBA Management & Strategy - WGU
2013 BS
Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology - TESC
[SIZE=2]
2013 AS
Nuclear Engineering Technology - TESC

[/SIZE]
I think it would be awesome if the forum could be added to Tapatalk.
Grad cert., Applied Behavior Analysis, Ball State University
M.S., in Applied Psychology, Lynn Univeristy
B.S., in Psychology, Excelsior College
A.A., Florida State College at Jacksonville

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Forum hsufeng 6 830 03-14-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  I missed this forum 2L8 1 1,046 03-07-2024, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Can we disable necroposting on this forum? udi 19 2,646 04-12-2019, 07:13 AM
Last Post: topdog98
  Why do you not post on the other forum? sanantone 41 9,622 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: decimon
  New Forum Software Installed / 3 Weeks Data Lost sgloer 46 11,448 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Last Post: davewill
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,608 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  Link to Degree Forum Wiki jmeitrem 5 3,056 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM
Last Post: zapproximator
  Degreeinfo - Is the sister forum down for good? bjcheung77 10 6,024 09-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Forum Friend Requests dfrecore 18 3,494 09-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  What's more telling? School or Degree Program....From the other forum rebel100 7 1,700 03-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Last Post: rebel100