Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You won't need a license to become a plumber in Texas!
The sunset laws require licensing boards to be reviewed and renewed every so often. The Texas legislature only meets for about four months every two years. This year, legislators didn't have time to get to the plumbing examiners board. Unless Governor Abbott calls a special session, on September 1st, plumbers in Texas will no longer need a license. Without a special session, the problem won't be fixed until 2021!

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/w..._KXAN_News

This is your opportunity to complete a Penn Foster or Ashworth program, move to Texas, and rip up people's plumbing at high hourly rates. Or, maybe so many people will flood the field that rates will drop. I plan to buy the Penn Foster course on Black Friday at a discount, but you really don't need any training!

Oops. Wrong sub-forum. Can this be moved to the general or off-topic sub-forum?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-29-2019, 03:35 PM)sanantone Wrote: ...Or, maybe so many people will flood the field ...

well if they do there will be plenty of plumbers to fix it
I never look at the off topic forum and i really enjoyed reading this, LOL. As if contractors needed another excuse to be shady. Reminds me of that episode of Grace and Frankie where they hire the contractor to redo their home and the guy rips out all the copper pipes and guts the house instead.
I don’t really see the benefit of licensure. I’ve hired tons of plumbers and never verified their license. I feel reviews are more constructive when it comes to hiring plumbers.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(05-29-2019, 08:35 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I don’t really see the benefit of licensure. I’ve hired tons of plumbers and never verified their license.  I feel reviews are more constructive when it comes to hiring plumbers.

The vast majority of people will comply with the laws. If you live in a jurisdiction that requires a license, you may have never experienced the services of an unlicensed plumber. 

It's easy for companies to manipulate reviews, and some review websites hide negative reviews. 

https://www.kshb.com/news/national/angie...ttlement-1
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(05-29-2019, 08:35 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I don’t really see the benefit of licensure. I’ve hired tons of plumbers and never verified their license.  I feel reviews are more constructive when it comes to hiring plumbers.

I think word-of-mouth and referrals are the best ways to find someone.  I have a great plumber, and recommend him to everyone I know all the time.  Same with my HVAC guy, he's awesome.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The problem with licenses is that it creates a barrier of entry into the workforce raising prices on consumers. And I agree, people for the most part will comply with the law to pay for a license.

MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(05-30-2019, 11:18 AM)videogamesrock Wrote: The problem with licenses is that it creates a barrier of entry into the workforce raising prices on consumers.  And I agree, people for the most part will comply with the law to pay for a license.  

It's like those laws making people who want to braid hair get a cosmetology license (which doesn't spend 5 seconds on braiding hair) or getting other moving companies to agree to let you start a new moving company (yes, this is common in some states).  Ridiculous barriers to entry for no reason except to screw everyone except existing companies.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Some licenses are necessary and others aren't. I believe several states are looking at dropping the licensing requirements for hair braiders since they don't work with chemicals. When one Texas legislator suggested getting rid of the cosmetology and barber licenses altogether, and most Texans thought it was a stupid idea. Fortunately, that didn't go anywhere. From what I've gathered so far, Texans are not happy about the plumbing license going away temporarily.

I'm sure most people wouldn't want unlicensed physicians, nurses, and psychologists. Where there aren't licensing requirements, there are usually certification boards that dominate the market and are often more restrictive than the government. For example, it was nearly impossible to work as a behavior analyst without certification even though most states didn't require it. The prevalence of employers requiring the certification prompted states to create a license that requires the certification. Currently, most states don't license genetic counselors, but it's nearly impossible to get a job without a certification that requires a master's degree with programmatic accreditation. Both of the certifications I mentioned have been progressively increasing standards.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
AZ recently dropped the license requirements for hair stylist/barbering. The governor pointed out that the requirements to be a barber were technically more rigorous than becoming an EMT. They also passed a law that states if you're licensed for certain professions in another state, AZ will accept that license.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/pol...424374002/

Edit: I think they only dropped the license requirements for dry styling hair, not cutting/barbering.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bus formation outside NRA Children's Museum in Texas bjcheung77 2 537 07-16-2022, 08:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Commercial Pilot's License RoyalSpade 3 1,361 01-14-2021, 06:11 AM
Last Post: n2201
  Commercial Pilot's License RoyalSpade 5 965 12-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Texas State University Now Ranked in Criminology sanantone 0 925 06-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Texas A&M sub-$10K Cyber Security Bac degree! dcan 4 1,008 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  CCU Issues in Texas?? sky_light 18 4,884 06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku
  Real Estate License Exam sgloer 3 2,052 06-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Last Post: cbrchris