Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Look for new job now or finish school first?
I know you all can't really answer this for me but I've been thinking about going on a job hunt. I've been with the same law firm for more than 10 years and I'm not unhappy there but I know I could make a higher salary elsewhere. I keep seeing all these regulatory legal jobs at various banks that I qualify for. It would give me a salary bump of about 20K per year. On the other hand, I am taking three graduate courses every semester through Spring 2015 and really don't need another transition before I complete my degree.

Right now I work from 7:30-3:30 which gets me home around 4:30. It gives me plenty of time to get off work, take care of my family, and spend long hours on homework. It also allows me to pick my child up from school as soon as school gets out so I don't have to pay for after school care. He's actually old enough to stay at home for a few hours alone but his school is way on the other side of town so there's no way for him to get home unless I pick him up.

If I had a regular 9-5, I probably would't even see home until 6PM which would take about 2 hours out of my day. That won't be a problem once I finish with school but it could be a problem at this point.

Does it make more sense to just wait until I finish my degree instead of stressing myself out with a job hunt right now? I know a lot of people transition while they are in school. If anyone has advice, I'm all eyes.

Thanks.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
Is Spring 2015 a typo? How are you doing with the courses and finances? It may be a quality of life issue that only you can answer - needing time for the courses versus money for living. Also, how will having the masters versus working on it play into your new salary? If you were to be hired now at $20,000 more per year, would you get an additional bump once you got the degree?

Congratulations on moving along so steadfastly on obtaining these degrees. It helps reinforce our drive for our degrees.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:Is Spring 2015 a typo? How are you doing with the courses and finances? It may be a quality of life issue that only you can answer - needing time for the courses versus money for living. Also, how will having the masters versus working on it play into your new salary? If you were to be hired now at $20,000 more per year, would you get an additional bump once you got the degree?

Congratulations on moving along so steadfastly on obtaining these degrees. It helps reinforce our drive for our degrees.

We are fine financially. I actually make a very good salary and so does my husband so we don't have any unmet needs that would influence my decision to make a change right now. Yes that was a typo. I meant spring 2016.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I would suggest you take one challenge at a time unless there is an urgent need to make the change. It sounds like life is good. Enjoy it while you finish your Masters.
There's a possibility that your increased salary comes with increased responsibility. This may involve working more hours than you are comfortable and forcing you to extend your time to complete your degree. Money is nice, but should be number three in what you look for in a job.

On the other hand, if there are additional benefits (location, tuition assistance, etc.), it may be beneficial to take a new position.

Why don't you start a passive search and put out feelers in the industry without actually aggressively applying to positions. Connect with recruiters and see what's out there. As they say, the best time to find a new job is while your working in your current job. Good luck.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prioko made a good point about the passive job search. Spend the time as you can to find out more about the possible businesses you could work for. With this additional time, and without the stress of having to tell a potential employer, "yes, I'll take the job," you can learn more about the places. Are they somewhere where you'd like to work? Maybe you can network with folks who work there - or who worked at those places - and see what they have to say. There are employers who lack insight. They will tell you what the office environment is like, what's allowed, etc., only for you to begin work and find out that the employer was delusional. A supervisor in my department, who had already submitted her letter of resignation, was hiring. A outside candidate asked her about her management style. She didn't say she was leaving, and purposely phrased her responses so as to avoid mention of her departure. While you can never know everything about everything, it's nice to feel that there wasn't some low-hanging fruit, information-wise, that you missed.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Soliloquy, I'd just stay put for the time being. I'm kind of in the same boat myself. Since you have a routine that works for you, I wouldn't consider changing that up unless there's a real, viable alternative. HOWEVER, I would still keep doing a job search because you never know what's out there. Since you're not unhappy, you always have options. But I hate for you to just focus on school and miss the JOB of a lifetime. Stick with what you have, but keep you're options. You never know what may come along.

Good luck!!
"Step forward into your life as you did when you were a child, when you believed anything was possible." 
- Vince Gowmon

TESU BALS...in process...Dec 2020 graduation...woohoo!

Completed:
TEEX (3 credits): Death Investigation Online
Sophia (29 credits): Psych, Sociology, Ancient Greek, Visual Comm, Project Mgmt, Essentials of Conflict, Developing Effective Teams, Art History I, Art History II, Conflict Resolution, Approaches to Studying Religions
Straighterline (15 Credits): Cultural Anthropology, Intro to Criminal Justice, Business Stats, Western Civ I, American Gov't
SDC (6 credits): Oral Communication and Information Literacy
CLEP (15 credits): A&I Literature, College Composition, Principles of Marketing             
DSST (18 credits): Here's to Your Health, Substance Abuse, Intro to World Religions, Environment & Humanity, Business Ethics & Society, HR Management
WGU (36 credits)
FEMA (38 credits)
NA credits (140 qtr hrs)
soliloquy Wrote:I know you all can't really answer this for me but I've been thinking about going on a job hunt. I've been with the same law firm for more than 10 years and I'm not unhappy there but I know I could make a higher salary elsewhere. I keep seeing all these regulatory legal jobs at various banks that I qualify for. It would give me a salary bump of about 20K per year. On the other hand, I am taking three graduate courses every semester through Spring 2015 and really don't need another transition before I complete my degree.

Right now I work from 7:30-3:30 which gets me home around 4:30. It gives me plenty of time to get off work, take care of my family, and spend long hours on homework. It also allows me to pick my child up from school as soon as school gets out so I don't have to pay for after school care. He's actually old enough to stay at home for a few hours alone but his school is way on the other side of town so there's no way for him to get home unless I pick him up.

If I had a regular 9-5, I probably would't even see home until 6PM which would take about 2 hours out of my day. That won't be a problem once I finish with school but it could be a problem at this point.

Does it make more sense to just wait until I finish my degree instead of stressing myself out with a job hunt right now? I know a lot of people transition while they are in school. If anyone has advice, I'm all eyes.

Thanks.

I would stay put. it sounds like you have a clear path to your masters, and in the long run having your masters will pay. Your doing great BTW. Congrats on the process.
UptonSinclair Wrote:I would suggest you take one challenge at a time unless there is an urgent need to make the change. It sounds like life is good. Enjoy it while you finish your Masters.

Looking for a job is a job, getting acquainted with a new environment even if you already know the work if another job, and school is another challenge. Besides, you have great hours for what you have going on in your life right now. I have asked my boss to let me work earlier hours (just half an hour earlier, especially since I'm at work anyway and get so much work done in that extra 30 minutes). Not every job has a culture where people leave right on the dot and that can seriously affect your ability to multitask the way you do now.
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,063 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,470 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,583 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 906 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,063 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,652 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,737 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore