Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Pearson Testing Center
In the past, I'd always used Prometric testing centers for all my Certs & Tests, and never had a problem. The several centers I'd been to were always pretty nice, had plenty of testing stations, and were very accomodating for walk-in testing.

In the last few weeks I started looking at my local Pearson testing centers for my UExcel test, and I was dismayed. We've got two Pearson testing centers in Tulsa, and a couple farther out (like OSU and OKC) but it turns out that only the 'official' Pearson Professional Center offers the UExcels. So, I spent two weeks calling them, and kept getting an answering machine, no matter what time of day I called. I went by there at lunch, and the place looked like a little side room in an office building, and it was locked up tight. Went by there right after work a few days later, and same thing.

I'm hoping its still open, because otherwise it looks like I might have to go to the other side of Oklahoma to take my test(s), which I may have take at least one ECE as well as the UExcel.

I hope Excelsior considers expanding their testing arrangements outside of just the Pearson Corp, because I've not been impressed with Pearson so far...
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:In the past, I'd always used Prometric testing centers for all my Certs & Tests, and never had a problem. The several centers I'd been to were always pretty nice, had plenty of testing stations, and were very accomodating for walk-in testing.

In the last few weeks I started looking at my local Pearson testing centers for my UExcel test, and I was dismayed. We've got two Pearson testing centers in Tulsa, and a couple farther out (like OSU and OKC) but it turns out that only the 'official' Pearson Professional Center offers the UExcels. So, I spent two weeks calling them, and kept getting an answering machine, no matter what time of day I called. I went by there at lunch, and the place looked like a little side room in an office building, and it was locked up tight. Went by there right after work a few days later, and same thing.

I'm hoping its still open, because otherwise it looks like I might have to go to the other side of Oklahoma to take my test(s), which I may have take at least one ECE as well as the UExcel.

I hope Excelsior considers expanding their testing arrangements outside of just the Pearson Corp, because I've not been impressed with Pearson so far...

Yikes man...I sure hope you have better luck than what I've been reading about so far. I have 2 centers located within 2 metro areas so I'm hoping the facilities are better equipped to handle larger numbers of testers. We'll see in the next few days because I'm somewhat of an impatient person (I'm sure everyone can tell) and I'm going to start a calling frenzy when Excelsior sends my info to them. hilarious
I suddenly started having this same issue about 2 months ago. I talked to my testing center manager and they said they have been dead. The test center was only half full, during my entire 3 hours. I used to be able to schedule without any trouble. I even called Pearson Vue and complained and asked them why the test center said they are dead, yet their online scheduling system shows it as full? The gentleman, who didn't speak good English, said it was working fine and it has to be the test center not indicating enough seats. Well, since I had talked to my test center manager, I knew that wasn't the case. I'm wondering if Excelsior is only paying for so many seats a month? I was quite upset. The Pearson Vue rep just kept asking if he had provided good customer service and I kept telling him no. What a joke! I was very disappointed. I just kept logging in to the Pearson Vue website several times a day (7-10) everyday, until someone cancelled or they posted more times. That is how I had to do it to schedule my last 2 ECE's. I have 2 more ECE's to take and I'm dreading it! Good luck! This just tells me it is system wide, so it may have something to do with the EC / Pearson contract rather than our test centers.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
But I looked it up and there are 5 Test centers within 40 miles of me, of course they could take as long as 1 hr 45 min to get those 40 miles. Anyway I called the test center number to check on availability and was told I had to call the 1-888 number so I did and If I was ready I could take the ECE test I need as early as 1/28 or 2/11. SInce I dod not plan on being ready that soon I will wait to schedule. So maybe you just have to call at the right time.
Good Luck in getting your dates
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Be careful! If you schedule over the phone they will usually charge you $10. You can schedule online at no cost. I don't believe any test centers will schedule you directly, it all has to go through their website or phone number. When I talked to them on the phone they use the same system that is online and they see the same schedule, so don't think calling will give you any advantage. Good luck, I just don't want anyone getting charged for calling to schedule their exam! After all we are all about saving money on our education!
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B

CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
FEMA - PDS + more
I just was worried what the wait time would be to schedule. I was going to schedule if there was a month or more delay. They did tell me I had to register online before I could schedule. I have not planned when exactly this fits in my plan so I will make sure I do it online when I know.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Again, to continue with this older thread...

I am a proctor at one of the Pearson authorized test centers and I see that we are able to administer the UExcel exams, so I do not believe it is only Professional test centers that you are limited to. At least, not any longer.

Test centers can always register you directly for an appointment, though you will need to be patient as it is not something we do on a regular basis! Every test center can be different in how many seats they open up each day for each client, etc., so my suggestion would be to try to connect with the test center directly. As an authorized test center, we are not very large, but we do have seats open almost every day.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties so many of you are having. It is challenging enough when you might have to drive a fairly long distance to take your Excelsior exams, but then to not be able to get an appointment in a timely manner is another thing altogether!
My Pearson Vue will NOT register anyone to test in person or over the phone. They state the only way to register for an exam is via the Pearson Vue website or via their 800 number. Pearson Vue is also the only test center that is available for taking EC exams. Since I live an hour away I tried to get approval from EC for another closer test center and it was denied. If there is a Pearson Vue test center within 100 miles you have to use Pearson Vue. I did have a hard time scheduling my current exam, but not as bad as in the past. I still think EC doesn't pay as much for each exam which limits their exam space. I'm not sure why it is such an issue though because the test center is never full and most of the time it is only half full, which seems to be a waste of money for the test center. The test center manager blames the online scheduling system and Pearson Vue blames the test center. I'm not sure who is to blame, but seems likes someone with Pearson Vue would want to fix it.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B

CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pearson acquires Spotlight! bjcheung77 0 592 03-30-2021, 12:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Just testing my new signature... zapproximator 28 4,551 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bmoyer83
  CompTIA (A+, Net+, Sec+ etc) to start offering online testing (via ProctorU) jsd 1 2,435 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  DSST Test center open on Sundays in Maryland subhuman 0 1,067 09-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: subhuman
  Saturday Test Center in MD? subhuman 1 1,030 03-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Last Post: a4tunatemom
  Call Center Opinions? videogamesrock 10 1,712 02-26-2016, 02:16 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Mom Hospitalized - Had to Suspend Plans Testing For Now... SuZQ2 3 890 11-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  14yr old testing college courses? BELLA 9 1,592 07-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  How did you learn about testing out of your degree? Empyrean24 36 5,444 03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Your favorte quick/easy dinners for busy testing times? OpenRoot 9 1,443 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: ShotoJuku