Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favorte quick/easy dinners for busy testing times?
It seems like a fair number of folks here have kids to feed every night in addition to studying and working, so I thought it might be interesting to share our favore quick and easy recipes for the busy nights. My skills in the kitchen put me firmly in the "microwave chef" category, but I do try to keep things balanced and nutritious for the 2 growing boys who eat like linebackers. Its just so hard with so little time!

I'll go first with a cottage pie recipe. Takes about 20 minutes and the kids eat it with no fuss.

Grab a pie plate and fill it with 1 layer cooked ground turkey seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic. Next layer is a layer of whatever veggies are on hand, and a top layer of mashed potatoes. Heat in the oven until warm and serve with gravy.
Hamburger Helper and Wanchai Ferry.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Perdue Simply Smart low carb lightly breaded all natural chicken. Put two breast cutlets in the toaster oven and you have 60g of protein in 18 minutes with no prep and no cleanup. I use low calorie barbeque sauce or toss the Simply Smart nuggets in low calorie buffalo wing sauce.
You can get a bag of frozen veggies with butter sauce and steam that in the microwave as a side.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Baked potatoes can be cooked in the microwave if stabbed with a fork and nuked for five minutes each (microwave separately, cook time gets weird when cooking multiples). They come out soft and ready to be topped with leftover broccoli or whatever is on-hand for loaded baked potatoes.

Homemade pizza is quick and easy if you buy unsliced pita bread, jarred pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and whatever toppings you like. Everyone gets their own to pick and choose toppings, and much cheaper than delivery. Meat and veggies should be prepared in advance. I sautee onions, mushrooms, and green peppers each weekend and keep a bunch in a tupperware to have through the week for quick Egg Beater omelettes so we just use some of that, and we use presliced pepperoni.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Smooth sauce on pita
- Add toppings and cheese (if you use pepperoni, put a little cheese under each slice or they tend to slide off)
- Sprinkle a bit of oregano
- Bake until cheese is melted (about 10 minutes)

Those are two of our favorite go-to quick work night meals, if we're not including spaghetti or take-out.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
My poor kids had to learn to cook. P F Chang's, Stouffer's are my friend. Personally, I like to ask the kids to go to Pizza Hut online. Smile
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
Cut up potatoes, chicken breasts and carrots into roughly equal-sized pieces and toss in a baking pan with salt and spices; drizzle with olive oil. Bake, stirring once or twice, until meat is no longer pick inside and potatoes are soft through (about an hour). Can add canned vegetables after baking (not before because theyll burn). Easy to put together, there's pretty much no measuring—add as much of each thing as you want—and tastes great Big Grin
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
You can also make low carb pizza with high fiber, low carb tortillas. Just spread sauce on the tortillas, add low fat cheese, turkey pepperoni and store-diced onions. Then bake at 425 on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes. It is a thin crust, low carb, low fat, high protein meal with 8 grams of fiber and it takes about 2 minutes to prepare.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I always cook stir fry, but that's probably not the quickest/easiest dinner...cooking makes for a great study break, all the chopping, and visual/olfactory stimulation. Whatever you do, don't start eating unhealthy on account of studying.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
If you're adventurous and looking for quick, healthy alternatives, get a couple bags of vegetarian meat crumbles and use them in anything you would use browned and crumbled ground beef. It saves all the time of thawing and browning ground beef because they should be tossed into the recipe frozen, taste just like ground beef, and have very high protein and fiber contents without all the fat. For spaghetti, we prepare the sauce, then toss a bag of meat crumbles in about five minutes before ready to eat because they're done and just need to be heated. We're not vegetarian but they are a very fast substitute when needing something quick.

One of our weekend meals - only because the homemade salsa takes a little longer to make - is tacos. Put taco seasoning in a pan (or make your own if really kitchen savvy and wanting to save sodium), add water and meat crumbles, and let simmer. Blend the following in a food processor, noting that measurements are very rough and should be added a bit at a time by taste. When using fresh veggies in any recipe, measurements should be rough because flavor will vary depending on ripeness, season, and so on.
- about 3 to 5 large tomatoes (buy cheap...cheap breeds tend to taste better in the finished salsa)
- about one medium onion (cheap yellow, not sweet)
- about 3+ tbsp cilantro (dried or fresh but use more if fresh, I prefer dried due to price and coloring in the end)
- about 2-5 jalapeno OR 1-3 jalapeno and 1 habenero
- about 1 tbsp minced garlic
- about 1 squeezed lime (most recipes use lemon and you can...I prefer lime)
- about 2-4 tbsp salt
Mix a bit at a time, season along the way; if using dried cilantro, add, mix, and let sit for a few minutes for seasoning to hydrate and flavor. If onions are very flavorful and potent, use more tomatoes, lime, and salt. If tomatoes are strong, use more onion, cilantro, garlic. If jalapeno is overly strong, add more of everything to balance, but if too weak, add lime and garlic (carefully).

I've been paid $20 a jar for the stuff by coworkers, it comes out so tasty when mixed right, and it's something like 10-15 calories for a whole cup which is at least two servings of veggies and a ton of fiber and vitamins, with no fat or preservatives (stores about one week refrigerated, I don't like it frozen or canned but others I've made it for have frozen and canned and said it's okay). Some ground beef, black beans, tortilla, lettuce, maybe a little shredded cheese, then a ton of salsa is very filling. If you make the salsa over the weekend, you can have QUICK weeknight meals of tacos or tostadas (for tostada, heat oven to 375, put corn tortilla on baking pan and bake for ~10 minutes until crispy, then layer on refried beans and cheese, nuke for ~1-2 minutes until cheese melts, top with veggies and salsa for a very quick, tasty, filling meal).
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
[Image: jif1.jpg]

How's this for quick and easy!
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Fastest Way to Upgrade Your Lifestyle (In Uncertain Times) Kal Di 6 832 02-03-2022, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Quick money RoyalSpade 11 2,089 08-12-2021, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Just a quick update on the Rebel... rebel100 8 1,760 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Just testing my new signature... zapproximator 28 4,663 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bmoyer83
  CompTIA (A+, Net+, Sec+ etc) to start offering online testing (via ProctorU) jsd 1 2,446 03-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Last Post: 25BangBang
  Head about to explode? Quick break thread. Joeman200 6 1,743 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  A quick word on "Non-Profit" Prloko 18 2,325 05-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Last Post: Togas
  Mom Hospitalized - Had to Suspend Plans Testing For Now... SuZQ2 3 897 11-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  14yr old testing college courses? BELLA 9 1,629 07-08-2015, 08:24 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  A quick thank you Photog 7 1,298 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM
Last Post: sgloer