Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
a little WGU MBA review....
Added "MBA" to my ID at work (it reflects the recent promotion as well), it's been added to my email signature line too.

Smile Smile Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Congrats rebel100! You worked so hard for this, it has really been a pleasure following your journey. You are an inspiration to people like myself, well done and God bless!
Hello,

Iam considering doing WGU MBA Healthcare Mgmt.

I would love to talk to someone who did WGU MBA to see if WGU will be a good fit for me.

Thanks,
Peacehope
I enjoyed the journey, Now I am ready to enroll. How can I save the $65 application fee? Who can offer a referral?
B.S. Business Admin
Liberty University
4.0 GPA
84 total credits in 12 months using this forum

Clep - Marketing 65, Fin Accounting 60, Macroeconomics 68

DSST - Statistics 444, Public Speaking 432, Principals of Finance 427- Money and Banking 67 - Org Behavior 64 - Bus Ethics 460

SL - Accounting II A, Managerial Accounting A, Environmental Science A, Business Comm A, Bus Law, A
rebel100 Wrote:My daughter is pursuing her ALB at Harvard Extension...that would be my first choice for a Post Bach Cert. They have several and require 20 credits...it would take a while though and I would have to find the money. Partial Online Degree Programs and Certificates at Harvard I like the Strategic Mngt. and Sustainability options...of course you would be exactly 1/2 way to a Masters at that point, You could just follow Cookderosa's model and go for the ALM! Smile

Rebel100, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading today all the detailed information you provided in the 17 pages of this thread. I had read most of it a little over a year ago, but was able to understand it with fresh eyes after completing most of my classes for a BSBA from TESC.

I had a question for you, based upon your experience at WGU and your daughter's experience at Harvard Extension, do you feel that due to the quantity of writing at WGU has prepared you well for the Harvard Expository writing requirements? Or would you consider it a different kind of writing?

I am interested in taking classes at Harvard Extension school, however I feel that my writing skills may be a little weak more from lack of practice and feedback than anything else. Rather than pay a lot of money to take an Analytical or Expository writing course, I thought maybe just getting a degree from WGU would be a great way to get a degree and improve my writing skills.
BSU -ABA Certificate Program --In Progress

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014
I completed 63 credits in 15 weeks using this forum!

AAS -Web Design 2003
82.5 BM credits over 10 years old

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
SAYLOR: 2014 -Principles of Marketing 80%, -Corporate Communication 74%
ALEKS: Introduction to Statistics 76% (23 hours study time over 5 days)
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
Straighterline: ACC I 90.1%, ACC II 82.2%
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TECEP using IC flashcards: Public Relations Thought and Practice 78%
TESC PLA 100
zenurez Wrote:Rebel100, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading today all the detailed information you provided in the 17 pages of this thread. I had read most of it a little over a year ago, but was able to understand it with fresh eyes after completing most of my classes for a BSBA from TESC.

I had a question for you, based upon your experience at WGU and your daughter's experience at Harvard Extension, do you feel that due to the quantity of writing at WGU has prepared you well for the Harvard Expository writing requirements? Or would you consider it a different kind of writing?

I am interested in taking classes at Harvard Extension school, however I feel that my writing skills may be a little weak more from lack of practice and feedback than anything else. Rather than pay a lot of money to take an Analytical or Expository writing course, I thought maybe just getting a degree from WGU would be a great way to get a degree and improve my writing skills.
LOL, you might be the first person ever to weigh WGU against Harvard. Smile

Having been close to the writing required in both, I would say that yes, my WGU experience would have served me well had moving on the Harvard been an option. Unfortunately the fact that I now have an MBA excludes me from the only Masters of any real interest at at the Extension School. Harvard will allow you to earn a certificate, but any MBA holder is excluded from the Masters in Management. None the less, the writing at WGU is I feel on par with the writing expected from the Extension School.

As to the question on your reediness...know thatHarvard Extension will require you to take and pass either a low level reading and writing course (Expo 15), or pass the Test of Critical Reading and Writing Skills (CRWS), before you can take many of the courses. Test of Critical Reading and Writing Skills SO they are going to make sure you can read and write at an acceptable level before you get to far or invest to much time. From reading your posts on here I would suspect this test, and the writing that would be required to complete the courses is well within your grasp. Don't over think this, you can do it.

I think there is something to be said for attending the very best school you can get into, Harvard at the time was not an option for me. Not a function of difficulty but one of time and cost. My WGU MBA was quick and nearly all paid for by my employer, immediately on completion it helped me with a promotion. Had I elected the Masters in Management I would still be taking courses....of course, who knows to what end. Smile My daughter has blossomed in the ALB at Harvard Extension. She has met leaders in the various fields she is studying and people really do positively notice the brand on her otherwise thin resume. The way she approaches problem solving and adversity has matured during her studies...she is better for her experience. I needed a quick resume boost and an increase in income, WGU was perfect for that.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Lol, yes I probably am the first. However you are in a unique position to be familiar with the requirements for both. Based upon your feedback, WGU gives you lots of opportunity for correction and improvement. Whereas I'm concerned Harvard E would just give you a grade.

I don't seem to have problems with writing for self expression as emails to my friends tend to be novels. However I'm just not clear that my quality for written papers is adequate for academia. I'm probably also a little intimidated with the word "Harvard".

I guess I should just go and take their "easy" writing skills test huh?

A heartfelt thank you for the feedback!

rebel100 Wrote:LOL, you might be the first person ever to weigh WGU against Harvard. Smile

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014

AAS -Web Design 2003

DSST: 2012 -Geology 58; 2014 -Money and Banking 64, Ethics in America 465, Intro to Computing 474, Business Ethics & Society 453, Human Resource Management 64, Organizational Behavior 68, Management Information Systems 461
CLEP: 2013 -Sociology 58, US History I 65; 2014 Macroeconomics 71, Microeconomics 66, Principles of Management 72, Business Law 67
Empire State College PLA of Saylor Small Bus. Man. 4 Upper Level Credits Awarded
PennFoster -Strategic Management 93%, Financial Management 97%, Consumer Behavior 94%, Advertising 93%
TESC PLA 100
Your right in that WGU is more forgiving, Harvard does a fantastic job of helping the student and mentoring their writing. They really reach out to very different students, that's what makes the comparison a little difficult. I believe there is more to learn and a more traditional path is certainly offered by the Extension School, there is no substitute for researchign a paper for your class only to learn that the guy teaching the class is among the foremost authorities on the subject (daughter has had this happen at least twice). WGU examines known theory (we even used Harvard Case Studies in a couple classes), there is little instructor led interaction.....Harvard, even instructors in the Extension School, help to formulate new thought. Not to gush over it too much, but the opportunities at the Extension School are simply well above par and for about $24K total its simply an astounding bargain.
AS in EMS August 2010

Well since I have the worlds best distance learning forum right here, I'd like to ask, can anyone recommend some good books or online resources for analytical or expository writing at the graduate level? Kind of a 'how to' book that I could reference when I meet up with a stumbling block. Expository writing for dummies, lol.

BSBA from TESC Sept 2014

AAS -Web Design 2003

TESC PLA 100
Quick update....after I graduated, the program underwent significant changes. Know that the program as I experienced it doesn't really exist anymore. I still recommend the program, there isn't much out there that quite matches the WGU competency based approach....but you will now have exams and tests as part of the coursework...you can no longer write your way through...May 19, 2015.

zenurez Wrote:Well since I have the worlds best distance learning forum right here, I'd like to ask, can anyone recommend some good books or online resources for analytical or expository writing at the graduate level? Kind of a 'how to' book that I could reference when I meet up with a stumbling block. Expository writing for dummies, lol.
HES has you covered Writing Center

http://harvardwritingcenter.wordpress.com/
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 353 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 611 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Institution or Professor review websites bjcheung77 2 798 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Arkansas State online MPA Review cardiacclep 22 6,970 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  "Last Mile" programs - book review Clepper43 1 988 10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Math placement test for comprehensive review? MNomadic 4 1,686 12-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TEEX/ACE "Pending Organization Review" AwardTour 5 1,466 06-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Straighterline Review Goblue34 13 6,500 05-05-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: vpassenheim
  Review of New Mexico Junior College (Biology) sanantone 3 2,539 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: Tennesseegirl87
Star REVIEW: Propero vs. Penn Foster Joeman200 7 5,189 10-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Nixi