Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
anyone get a scholarship?
(11-25-2018, 08:41 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm curious if anyone here has received a scholarship and if so, care to share  about it?

My son1 has been accruing college scholarship money through youth bowling.
It won't help your son, but thought I'd mention that all youth bowlers earn college scholarship money each year and those who can place at tournaments earn even more scholarship money.
Bowling isn't a sport most people think about but it's indoors, air conditioned, has a nice snack bar, and there are no parent time serving requirements other than driving to practices and tournaments.
[-] The following 3 users Like Carnation's post:
  • cookderosa, dfrecore, Tedium
(11-28-2018, 01:01 PM)Carnation Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 08:41 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I'm curious if anyone here has received a scholarship and if so, care to share  about it?

My son1 has been accruing college scholarship money through youth bowling.
It won't help your son, but thought I'd mention that all youth bowlers earn college scholarship money each year and those who can place at tournaments earn even more scholarship money.
Bowling isn't a sport most people think about but it's indoors, air conditioned, has a nice snack bar, and there are no parent time serving requirements other than driving to practices and tournaments.

Bowling For Bucks! That's great
I'm going to add this to my list for others to look into.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
What do you mean ALL youth bowlers earn money for college.? I only found a few scholarships. Could please elaborate?
(11-25-2018, 08:48 PM)vetvso Wrote: I didn't get a scholarship but did get a nice Pell Grant from TESU this semester. I normally don't qualify for scholarships or grants but I retired in Jan 2018 so my kids would start qualifying for scholarships and Pell Grants. My income was killing my children's chances of getting anything at all. So until they are 24 or are in grad school I will keep my income down and go to school myself full time. I have applied to a lot of scholarships and may get some next semester.

Have your kids look into Folds of Honor.  I know some kids getting this with parents who are VA rated.  $5,000/year!
or who has a 10% or higher combined service-connected evaluation, rated by the Veteran’s Administration.
or who has a 10% or higher combined service-connected evaluation, rated by the Veteran’s Administration.
https://www.foldsofhonor.org/resources/scholarships/
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 2 users Like Life Long Learning's post:
  • its4natalie, MNomadic
(11-28-2018, 08:41 PM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: What do you mean ALL youth bowlers earn money for college.? I only found a few scholarships. Could please elaborate?

You pay $10 each week of competition... half of that goes toward college scholarships and every team decides how to determine what percentage each bowler earns.
Our team it is based on participation: whether you attended (or made up) all practices, participated in community events with the team, participated in fundraising, represented the team at the local board meetings, etc.
They base it on participation because young 6yo bowlers are not ready to handle competitions where you are bowling up to 9 games in a day.
So 6yo's are earning college money without competing - on our team, it's around $80 a year to just show up for practice.

Then if you place at competitions (whether as an individual, pair, or team-all 3 areas you can earn awards), they earn trophies and medals and certificates... but along with the awards, they receive more college scholarship money.

So for example, we were caring for my mil last year so my son didn't compete much but he earned $150 from the team then also earned another $150 scholarship by coming in 5th place in the individual competition at the state tournament. 
By participating in all the practices and fundraisers and playing 3 games at state, he earned $300 toward college last year and had fun bowling with friends each week while receiving coaching.

If they are able to compete more during the year, it's that much more they can earn.
One boy on our team earned $750 at the state tournament alone this last year - I believe he is 11yo.

Also, since adult bowling usually has alcohol around, youth bowling continues through the season they turn 21yo.
So teams can have 6yo all the way into college students.

All youth bowling tournament awards are paid in college scholarship money.
All adult (age 21+) bowling tournament awards are paid in cash money.

All your scholarship money goes into an account you set up when you first register with the United States Bowling Congress.
When you go to college, you sign up for classes, then indicate how much needs to be paid out of your account to the college you choose to attend.
Obviously, if a bowler attends an Ivy League school, the scholarship money isn't going to get them very far.
By homeschooling college, my son likely will pay his way to his degree.

Hopefully that answers your questions.
Yes it does, thanks a lot!
Here are some scholarships I've tried in the past. There's undoubtedly a lot of people applying for them but it only takes a couple minutes for most of them.

https://study.com/pages/Academic_Awards_Home.html

https://www.coursehero.com/scholarships/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Murdockb
I have just a couple hundred dollars in scholarships, nothing much. Wondering if TESU will accept scholarship money towards my non-residency waiver fee? Does anyone know? I tried searching the whole forum but nothing relevant popped up.
|| TESU English: Senior
[-] The following 1 user Likes KawJa's post:
  • peacel
(03-03-2019, 01:21 PM)KawJa Wrote: I have just a couple hundred dollars in scholarships, nothing much. Wondering if TESU will accept scholarship money towards my non-residency waiver fee? Does anyone know? I tried searching the whole forum but nothing relevant popped up.
Depends how the scholarship is set up. I recently got a scholarship from a local veterans organization in the form of a check.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(03-03-2019, 01:33 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(03-03-2019, 01:21 PM)KawJa Wrote: I have just a couple hundred dollars in scholarships, nothing much. Wondering if TESU will accept scholarship money towards my non-residency waiver fee? Does anyone know? I tried searching the whole forum but nothing relevant popped up.
Depends how the scholarship is set up. I recently got a scholarship from a local veterans organization in the form of a check.

Interesting. Yeah, I'm honestly not sure. They'll be sending the scholarship to TESU soon, I'm just not sure if it will be a check and applied to my bill overall (including the waiver fee), or have some kind of limitation on only being used for classes, specifically. My capstone class is already paid for, so I'm hoping for the former. 

For graduating within the next couple months, you'd think I might know a tiny bit more about scholarships. I'm really clueless. But I know a lot about CLEP exams! Haha.
|| TESU English: Senior

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU full Scholarship Freshmen this fall Clepper43 8 2,150 12-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Clepper43
  APUS / AMU Momentum 2020: A 50% Scholarship for Visiting Students warriortaupou 2 1,004 09-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: nomaduser