Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anyone here knows if these coopersmith courses still valid in TESU?
(02-09-2021, 07:13 PM)Flelm Wrote: On the linked page. Scroll down.

I'm trying to find out when it'd end. But that link just says.. Dates: April 2019 - Present. 
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

I usually recommend sticking with ACE providers unless you can't find an affordable option - then go for NCCRS. I can assure you that these dates are valid until they update the course contents, if the course contents have not changed, they will continue being recommended for credit at NCCRS. You have at least 3-5 years from the initial date of recommendation, after that, the course may be reviewed for relevant content. Unless the course is a computer science or technology course, I don't think there are many updates to courses in other subject areas. ACE and NCCRS are different beasts altogether, for NCCRS it's harder to find out "what time stamps" are available. The worst that can happen is the provide goes out of business and POOF! The date range of validity won't matter at all...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-09-2021, 11:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I usually recommend sticking with ACE providers unless you can't find an affordable option - then go for NCCRS.  I can assure you that these dates are valid until they update the course contents, if the course contents have not changed, they will continue being recommended for credit at NCCRS.  You have at least 3-5 years from the initial date of recommendation, after that, the course may be reviewed for relevant content.  Unless the course is a computer science or technology course, I don't think there are many updates to courses in other subject areas.  ACE and NCCRS are different beasts altogether, for NCCRS it's harder to find out "what time stamps" are available.  The worst that can happen is the provide goes out of business and POOF! The date range of validity won't matter at all...

Thanks @bjcheung77, always the golden advice, their site is a bit dodgy but there isn't many other cheap Linear Algebra or UL math courses I can find. Sad to know it's a bit of a surprise, I guess I can only cross my fingers...

(02-08-2021, 04:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:15 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: @Dorothy44 How do I check that it is still ace approved? I tried searching on the ACE site(https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...fault.aspx) but can't seem to find anything about Coopersmith.

@rachel83az, I see, I'm going for Math/CS BA, so I reckon I'm fine? I wish they'd announce their partnership end dates somewhere...!

Coopersmith uses NCCRS, not ACE. Their page can be found here: http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...consulting

At the very least, even if it's not accepted for your CS then it should be fine for math.  So you're good.

I've had an advisor tell me a couple years back that it's fine for both, the advisor actually recommended I take that and use it for both Math and CS. They won't change this half way will they...? I know the best way is to ask them but I don't want to jinx it since I'm half way through some of coopersmiths courses lol.

Edit: do you remember the source where you heard about Coopersmith Linear Algebra being not valid for CS?

A couple years ago, it was fine. Recently, in the past year or two, a few students have been reporting that it is no longer an accepted class for computer science. But others have been reporting that it's fine and was accepted for their Comp Sci degree. No idea why different students are getting told different things.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(12-11-2021, 05:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote: A couple years ago, it was fine. Recently, in the past year or two, a few students have been reporting that it is no longer an accepted class for computer science. But others have been reporting that it's fine and was accepted for their Comp Sci degree. No idea why different students are getting told different things.

Thanks Rachel for the response! I see, so just based on general consensus, not a source or something specific you read somewhere

For the bachelors in mathematics TESU says that linear algebra must be calculus based (and must have calculus in the description)
coopersmiths's course does not

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/mathematics
Linear Algebra (calculus-based) (prerequisite of calculus in description)

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/
(12-13-2021, 11:58 PM)bluebooger Wrote: For the bachelors in mathematics TESU says that linear algebra must be calculus based (and must have calculus in the description)            
coopersmiths's course does not

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/mathematics
Linear Algebra (calculus-based) (prerequisite of calculus in description)

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

I've gotten it accepted at the beginning of my enrollment (> a year ago) and planned in. Have you gotten a rejection recently..? I wonder if catalogue year is what makes the difference?

(02-07-2021, 03:46 AM)Dorothy44 Wrote: IMHO, I think TESU was moving away from providers because they were going to have to implement 30 RA credits.   They probably saw it coming down the road.  I would think if they are on your degree plan, then the courses should work?  Not sure how long ago you asked about the courses, but I was never given an end date for several courses listed on the degree plan from SDC.  

I know that my advisor checked ACE's website to make sure of the date that certain courses were going to lose their accreditation.  One course was due to lose it, and he said to watch it because it may expire or be renewed.  Thankfully, it was renewed.  

I would just shoot an email to TESU though if you are concerned.  Personally, I would not be concerned because if they approved it for your degree plan, and it is still ACE approved then in my mind it should still work.

Hey @Dorothy44, do i need to worry if I fall into inactive status, is it safe to assume all of them will remain once it's accepted into the degree plan?

(02-08-2021, 04:42 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 04:15 PM)StudentOLife Wrote: @Dorothy44 How do I check that it is still ace approved? I tried searching on the ACE site(https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pa...fault.aspx) but can't seem to find anything about Coopersmith.

@rachel83az, I see, I'm going for Math/CS BA, so I reckon I'm fine? I wish they'd announce their partnership end dates somewhere...!

Coopersmith uses NCCRS, not ACE. Their page can be found here: http://www.nationalccrs.org/organization...consulting

At the very least, even if it's not accepted for your CS then it should be fine for math.  So you're good.

i"m able to double count my Linear algebra for both Math and CS, that was planned in Q2 2020 without an end date. I'm really hoping nothing's suddenly changed...? :/

Yes catalog year is the key factor for linear algebra acceptance.

(12-16-2021, 11:06 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes catalog year is the key factor for linear algebra acceptance.

Thanks for the response @ideas, does catalogue date change if we become inactive(after 1 year)? or does it only change after 3 years?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 853 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 682 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 8 7,150 03-29-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,122 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 357 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,315 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,635 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,024 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,012 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 569 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer