Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
basic premed/science subjects
Hi All,

need some quick advice.

I need a semester of chemistry, physics and 2 semesters of biology (can be anatomy, life science etc) for a possible pre-med program here in South Africa.
Medicine works differently here and only need these basics.

Have undergrad and MBA already and would like to get these science subjects done as quickly, painlessly and affordably as possible.
Live in South Africa but can qualify for residency in Florida (US Citizen) if that helps.

looked at Excelsior, New England University plus a number of others - just not sure how best to approach.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel
[-] The following 1 user Likes nadesdan's post:
  • JWells247
New Mexico Junior College and Clovis Community College (the one in NM) are cheap.

(12-18-2019, 08:46 AM)nadesdan Wrote: Hi All,

need some quick advice.

I need a semester of chemistry, physics and 2 semesters of biology (can be anatomy, life science etc) for a possible pre-med program here in South Africa.

Have undergrad and MBA already and would like to get these science subjects done as quickly, painlessly and affordably as possible.
Live in South Africa but can qualify for residency in Florida (US Citizen) if that helps.

looked at Excelsior, New England University plus a number of others - just not sure how best to approach.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel
I would check out florida community colleges either rin person or online.
(12-18-2019, 08:46 AM)nadesdan Wrote: Hi All,

need some quick advice.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

The issue with sequential sciences is that they take a long time. The pace-setter on the list you mentioned will be biology. If you can't find accelerated biology sections, then you're looking at 1 year. So, as you start comparing, if you can find 8 week sections, resourceful planning will let you complete them both in 1 semester (8+8=full semester) but you need to find them ASAP. The classes starting in January are filling fast, especially 8-week sessions. Out of curiosity, I checked my local CC and they are already full. So, in my opinion, focus on finding biology first and then add in the others where possible.
Painless? I've got nothing. The sciences I took were pretty painful lol. Good luck and if you find anything, post it here, that's always good info to share.
You also didn't say if you needed them to be graded credits from an RA school, if you needed labs, etc.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you have the money to invest, Doane University has quality classes with labs (all courses have integrated labs; cannot take them without). The courses are 8 weeks each and require about 20 hours per week, per class. They are challenging and grades are definitely earned but they are do-able and can give you a great foundation. Doane is regionally accreditied (not sure if that matters for what you're doing).
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
OP - If you're looking for a Bachelors in Biology or Human Biology, you can get one at Life University or Logan University.
Life undergrad: https://www.life.edu/undergraduate-online/
Life MS Positive Psychology: https://www.life.edu/academic-pages/grad...sychology/
Logan degrees: https://www.logan.edu/academics/online-degrees/

(12-23-2019, 04:02 PM)MSK9 Wrote: If you have the money to invest, Doane University has quality classes with labs (all courses have integrated labs; cannot take them without). The courses are 8 weeks each and require about 20 hours per week, per class. They are challenging and grades are definitely earned but they are do-able and can give you a great foundation. Doane is regionally accreditied (not sure if that matters for what you're doing).

How much is for each course? In other words, how much is it per credit?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-23-2019, 05:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: How much is for each course?  In other words, how much is it per credit?

My last two courses (base cost without books, workbook access):

Organic Chemistry II - $1596
Algebra-based Physics II - $1536

All Doane courses I've taken are right around these amounts, plus the costs of books/workbook access.
(12-23-2019, 08:28 PM)MSK9 Wrote: My last two courses (base cost without books, workbook access):

Organic Chemistry II - $1596
Algebra-based Physics II - $1536

All Doane courses I've taken are right around these amounts, plus the costs of books/workbook access.

Forgot to mention that each of the classes is 4 credits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 216 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 178 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 510 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  We Have Moved on From the Basic “Big 3” Colleges and Now Have CBE Big 3 and Others LevelUP 57 6,888 11-14-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,163 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,882 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 18,853 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Science pre-reqs with No Proctor MeangreenMBA 2 600 06-23-2023, 01:33 PM