Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
choosing not to tansfer a course
If somebody takes a course at a University as a non degree seeking student, then enrolls at COSC, but does not want to transfer the old course, is that ok? Or is there somehow an obligation to disclose all of the courses taken in the past?
You're supposed to send in ALL transcripts. Whether you can ask them to leave a class out after you've sent in a transcript is something someone else will have to offer because I'm not that familiar with COSC.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Aha. So you cannot pick and choose the transcripts. Too bad.That means to be really careful with the classes you enroll in.
Schools send data to the National Student Clearinghouse and your new school will check there. If they find you've attended a school, but haven't sent a transcript (or a new enough one), they will take action. I remember a number of folks who were accepted to GT OMSCS who had their registration frozen because of "trivial" classes taken they forgot to send transcripts for. In the case of TESU, this probably won't bite you until it comes time to graduate and they audit your credits.

It's partly being careful about what courses you take, but the real issue is awareness of drop deadlines and incomplete procedures. Many people get in trouble because they get sick or behind and don't drop a course in time to get a W rather than an F or WF. They also get sick and fail to apply for an incomplete, which would let them finish the course later. My daughter did that with an entire semester. She was able to finish the courses after she got better, saving both the tuition and her GPA.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I had no idea. Thanks a lot. Just to be sure, this also applies if you only take a single course without seeking a degree, for example with Harvard Extension School or American Public University?
Yes. Even that tennis course you took for fun 20 years ago at your local CC counts. I sent in my UCSD Extension transcript even though the courses on it were not for college credit, just so it could not come back to bite me.

Edit: Part of this is also to enforce delinquent accounts. If you don't pay your old school, they won't send a transcript. Your new school won't graduate you without one and you're forced to deal with it. That parking fine from 1995 can still get you...
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

(09-11-2018, 01:32 PM)davewill Wrote: Edit: Part of this is also to enforce delinquent accounts. If you don't pay your old school, they won't send a transcript. Your new school won't graduate you without one and you're forced to deal with it. That parking fine from 1995 can still get you...

Yes - they're all helping each other to make sure that someone can't go to School A, take out a bunch of student loans, never pay them back, and then just start over at School B 10 years later.  Nope.  Can't do that.  Once you owe money to a school, they're going to put the word out to all the other schools that you're a deadbeat, and hold that transcript/diploma hostage.

BTW - I'm not saying that this is a bad thing - they need something to hold over you.  But it's a bad thing if you want to try to do it yourself.

For those who aren't in the same boat, you're kind of lumped in with the bad actors.

I think a better thing to do is to take courses through a MOOC instead.  No grade, no student loans, nothing to come back to bite you later.  Prices are usually good too.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Unless you need the credits to complete a degree (like discrete math or computer architecture for a computer science degree), the MOOC route may be better. I even wonder if it is possible to just take a bunch of MOOCs, get verified certificates and then do PLA based on that.
(09-12-2018, 07:42 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Unless you need the credits to complete a degree (like discrete math or computer architecture for a computer science degree), the MOOC route may be better. I even wonder if it is possible to just take a bunch of MOOCs, get verified certificates and then do PLA based on that.

It is possible in theory, but it is not quite as simple as showing tesu your verified cert and getting credit. If you look at the pla process and people here who've used pla, it requires a lot of documenting everything about your learning.

Davewill has some great info about pla in his signature.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(09-12-2018, 07:42 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: Unless you need the credits to complete a degree (like discrete math or computer architecture for a computer science degree), the MOOC route may be better. I even wonder if it is possible to just take a bunch of MOOCs, get verified certificates and then do PLA based on that.

Yes, it's possible, but if you can simply take a test or online course for credit instead, it's usually easier to do that than to do PLA. See the links in my sig for PLA information.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,959 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help Choosing Final Accounting Courses AMRH94 10 2,838 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: AMRH94
  Choosing General Electives cleper123 3 1,529 12-22-2017, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  [TESU] - (Probably) Stupid Questions Regarding Choosing Which Degree to Test Out Of Granola 4 1,373 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Granola
  New to Forum. Need Help Choosing Degree. pbs301 1 867 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New member, Excelsior student need help choosing exams. Long, very long. Mini Trail 9 2,227 05-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Mini Trail
  Need assistance on choosing program daristotle 30 2,934 03-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Difficulty choosing courses happydayruth 0 734 08-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: happydayruth
  What is the benefit of choosing a Concentration? sumjeff 9 1,538 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Last Post: sumjeff
  Help Choosing Between The Big Three (Psychology) goodideabb 0 720 12-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Last Post: goodideabb