Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
commissioning in air force with TESC degree
Hi, i was wondering how hard it's going to be to commission with a degree of BSBA management from tesc. I know people have done it just by searching the forum. But my concern is with the 9 ALEKS credits or the 30 CLEP/DSST. I'll be finishing my degree this year and i'm starting to wonder what kind of uphill battle i will be facing. I know the package is the full person concept and i have got plenty of recognition within the AF. But im starting to think i may need to go another route to finish the degree.
If you are in the military, go ask your education office. Next best: Find a person who has already gone the route you wish to follow and make them your mentor. The military loves non-traditional degrees!
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
I agree, but with only one caveat. First, I would get in touch with an OFFICER recruiter and ask exactly what you will need to do to be able to get commissioned. Maybe ask what degrees they currently have a big demand for. From what recruiters have told me, business is pretty standard these days; you may have a better chance with a Math, Science, or Engineering degree. A healthcare or environment related degree is almost guaranteed, at least for Army.

Next, I would try to network with others, since you'll need references anyway. Then, talk with the education office about your plan, and stand your ground. Remember that many ed office personnel were traditional graduates, so 99% of them will not know a lot of what we know just by reading this forum routinely.

Perfect example: I had to talk with my education office concerning consolidating my credits on one transcript for points. They actually talked me out of staying with Columbia Southern Univ. because, [Quote]"The Army will not recognize a nationally-accredited degree, since you cannot go to any regionally accredited Master's program with one" As it turns out, I did some research and they do. So I enrolled back with CSU and finished out my last requirements. Recently,they asked me how I would get a regional Master's, and I showed them an articulation that CSU has with University of North Alabama to get an MBA.

I also already talked with an Army Healthcare recruiter and they will accept my BS Healthcare Admin for commission. The only problem is that the only positions available this year were Reserve, and I want to stay active. Essentially, the recruiter is going to be your best resource, since they're the one who is actually going to do the paperwork in the long run.
NCU MBA-HCA (July 2013)
B.P.S. in Business & Management - Excelsior (End of 2012)
B.S. in Health Care Administration - Columbia Southern University (May 2012)
A.A.S. in Business - Columbia Southern University (February 2012)
AHA BLS Instructor
For what it's worth, I have a degree from TESC in Technical Studies and I was accepted for a commission in the Navy. My degree had about 40 credits from my enlisted schooling, 36 through CLEP/DSST, 9 through ALEKS, and the remaining classes were at the college and through FEMA. Hope this helps you. The Air Force may be different but I wanted to share my experience on this matter.

Edit: Also, the Navy accepted around 120 Naval Flight Officers out of several hundred that applied for FY12-13. Many applicants I'm sure had degrees from prestigious colleges; however, I have to believe the military and obviously the Navy in my case takes the whole person concept under consideratio. Otherwise, I would have not been selected to receive this opportunity if it were based primarily on how prestigious the college is you attended.
TESC: BS Technical Studies - Graduated March 2012

* I want to give this forum a big thank you, being a part of this community has helped me to achieve the completion of my Bachelors degree and has helped me in pursuing my dream of becoming a United States Naval Officer. I leave this message here in my signature for everyone to read and serve as a reminder of what this community, and the completion of a college degree can mean. I hope that the attainment of my dream through continuing education can serve as motivation for others. *
at2nfo Wrote:For what it's worth, I have a degree from TESC in Technical Studies and I was accepted for a commission in the Navy. My degree had about 40 credits from my enlisted schooling, 36 through CLEP/DSST, 9 through ALEKS, and the remaining classes were at the college and through FEMA. Hope this helps you. The Air Force may be different but I wanted to share my experience on this matter.

Edit: Also, the Navy accepted around 120 Naval Flight Officers out of several hundred that applied for FY12-13. Many applicants I'm sure had degrees from prestigious colleges; however, I have to believe the military and obviously the Navy in my case takes the whole person concept under consideratio. Otherwise, I would have not been selected to receive this opportunity if it were based primarily on how prestigious the college is you attended.

Another FWIW. I was selected to Coast Guard OCS this coming year. They only chose 26 or so enlisted members and 14 or so civilians off the street with hundreds of applicants, selection rate is in the low single digits. Anyway, I am currently enlisted but I was selected with a BA in Liberal Studies from TESC (With a massive amount of CLEP, ALEKS, and other non-traditional credits). They are definitely looking for STEM degrees so my major was a concern, not the school. As far as the school, as long as it is accredited it is a check in the box, major is a different story.
I'm not in the military but your accomplishments seem very impressive to me.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
It's a valid, regionally accredited, degree so you meet that requirement. Remember, DANTES started as a DoD program, all other services use ACE to get their training approved for college credit (AF runs their own CC).
great words of encouragement!

I plan on transferring in all credits to TESC, what should i do about lack of GPA with TESC or what has everyone else done?
I can't speak for the Air Force, although I would assume they are just as stringent even with their prior enlisted applying, but I would suggest you try and establish a high GPA. In the Navy there are standards for numerous designators ( jobs as an officer) most of which requiring a GPA of at least a 2.75, note this is minimum standards so you want to be well above the minimum. With this being said, you'll want your GPA to be at a much more competitive level. I was accepted with a GPA of a 3.32, but I know for a fact there were many applicants who had higher GPAs and from more prestigious schools. Anything you can do to tip the odds in your favor is worth pursuing, both academically, in your career, and in the community. I'll give you and everyone else some valuable advise, as you put your officer package together don't stress too much on the competition, you get ZERO points concerning yourself on what the competition has. Do all that you can to make yourself stand out which in this case includes establishing and graduating with the best possible GPA.
TESC: BS Technical Studies - Graduated March 2012

* I want to give this forum a big thank you, being a part of this community has helped me to achieve the completion of my Bachelors degree and has helped me in pursuing my dream of becoming a United States Naval Officer. I leave this message here in my signature for everyone to read and serve as a reminder of what this community, and the completion of a college degree can mean. I hope that the attainment of my dream through continuing education can serve as motivation for others. *
Hello Everyone,
Im an Aviation Ordnanceman Second Class Petty Officer in the Navy stationed in Japan. I have been in less than 2.5 years at this point. I actually dropped out of school at Indiana University in my second semester of my senior year in 2010 to join the navy. I was really lost with what I wanted to do with my life or what I was even going to school for and to top it I wasnt the most mature 18-21 year old ever.

Anyways I left in good academic standing with a 2.48 gpa and 90 credits into a Communications Degree. Since joining the navy it has been a huge wake up call and has really got my butt in gear. I have been very motivated with fair to great evals, lots of community service, honor graduate of my A school class and promoted very quickly. However I really feel my academic record at Indiana University really haunts me to the point I wish I was starting from scratch now instead of trying to rectify and move on.

I am very motivated towards a goal of becoming a Naval Officer. I am very interested in being a Pilot as flying is one of my hobbies but just love the idea of serving and leading in the Navy as an officeris thrilling and would be willing to go in any direction that the Navy felt it could use me.

I am currently enrolled at Excelsior College where I will be able to wrap up a degree BS in Liberal Studies in April. However with as many credits as I had at IU and the limited classes I have to raise my GPA at Excelsior I plan to graduate with a 2.8-2.9ish GPA in April 2013. I have all qualifying scores for Pilot on the ASTB and got a 49 on the Officer Qualifying test.

My main question are these goals a pipe dream? Will I ever be able to achieve this and is a degree at Excelsior worth my time or should I continue with possibly trying for STA-21. Any feedback would be really apreciated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nuclear Associates Degree natshar 20 4,756 10-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  AF Commission with TESU Degree TESUAF 15 4,349 08-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Sagan
  Earning a Degree as a Nuclear ET natshar 3 2,034 09-15-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree for free jshzglr 26 8,997 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Last Post: 22gunsonfire
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,431 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  My Degree Path dposborne 7 2,830 02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,302 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,970 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  How important is graded coursework for commissioning? (any/all branches) OfficerA 2 810 06-19-2014, 04:48 PM
Last Post: perriquit
  Post 9/11 and TESC 50% Eligibility mm1988 14 2,073 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Vandalet