Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
declining enrollment at University of Phoenix
University of Phoenix has lost half its students. Stock plunges 28% - Mar. 25, 2015
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:University of Phoenix has lost half its students. Stock plunges 28% - Mar. 25, 2015

huh. Well I guess not all press IS good press lol.
The University of Phoenix is very expensive. My best guess is that people run out of loans to pay the huge balance accumulated.

Still an interestig development.
Interesting quote from the article.

"Once a cash cow industry, for-profit education companies have struggled to overcome criticism of the quality of its education and the costs. They're the sore spot in the national debate about value of higher education."
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
I think their decline was inevitable for many reasons, I will say that they helped blaze the trail in many ways...I'm not a fan of UofP by any stretch, but they demonstrated the market potential that helped pave the way for "non traditional" education models...the private sector should always be on the bleeding edge of such innovation, I wish the more staid players could act so nimbly.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
As Rebel100 Stated the decline was inevitable, however, the primary culprit in my deduction are a few. One is the fact that they are very very expensive while operating at a marginal expense relative to that of Brick and Mortar schools and while their business model was seen as a cash cow if you will it was also a concerning factor to many most notably congress.

The other is just based on the normal economic activity which is based on whenever more firms enter the market place chiefly brick and mortar whom stayed out of the fray for a long time. Now you have top rated universities offering a slew of programmes online for a fraction of that of Kaplan or UoP . Simply put they were just out maneuvered by names more recognizable in the market place.
University of Phoenix's numbers could just be balancing out after facing more competition. They are expensive, but they are under the financial aid cap for independent students if you assume they're receiving loans and grants (which most do). ITT Tech is the one that is so expensive that they have to loan students the additional funds, and they do it at a high interest rate.

I don't think I will ever change my mind about the major for-profit colleges or even most of the for-profit trade schools. APUS is the only large one that doesn't make my stomach turn. At the for-profit college I taught at, I worked with instructors who worked at Kaplan, Devry, Sanford Brown, and Brown Mackie. Their opinions were that they are all pretty much the same.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
The continuing education departments at state universities are sometimes run like the notorious for-profit universities and trade schools.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:The continuing education departments at state universities are sometimes run like the notorious for-profit universities and trade schools.

I've come across a few non-traditional non-profits that operate like for-profit colleges, but I've never seen a continuing education department with aggressive recruiting practices. Unless the continuing education department is offering degree programs, a student can't receive federal student loans for their courses.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:I don't think I will ever change my mind about the major for-profit colleges or even most of the for-profit trade schools. APUS is the only large one that doesn't make my stomach turn. At the for-profit college I taught at, I worked with instructors who worked at Kaplan, Devry, Sanford Brown, and Brown Mackie. Their opinions were that they are all pretty much the same.
Like you, other than APUS and Sullivan I don't care for most of the better known for profit schools. Years ago they played a valuable role making education more convenient and more widely available, but nowadays other sectors have caught up in that regard, leaving Phoenix and its ilk as relatively expensive and unremarkable. However, being in proprietary education I have no problem with the idea itself, and in particular I think that some of the DETC-accredited schools that don't participate in the federal financial aid system are among the better deals in American higher education.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,583 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 347 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,755 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,800 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 766 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,317 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,783 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 411 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 574 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,624 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff