Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
degree and school RECCS please
Hello to everyone!

I'm in need of help as I'm eager to begin studying for a Bachelor.
Although I've done plenty of research I keep thinking I might be missing a lot while everyone here is so well-informed and skilled in degree planning.. Degrees and Schools best suited for me is what I'm looking for so that I can finally start Degree planning, getting credits and taking courses to accelerate the process of undergraduating, and I'd be really grateful if someone could kindly give me personal reccs, based on the following:

I'm a 17 year-old high school student living in Italy so I feel like I ought to give a brief explaination of how the italian Higher Secondary education works. 

Well, first of all it lasts 5 years until the student is normally nineteen years old (I'm graduating in 2 years - summer 2023). At 13 years, students must make a choice about their education among multiple types of high schools, depending on their goals.

I'm attending a "Liceo Classico”, a high school "major" in humanities: it is possibly the only high school in the world where pupils study both Latin and Ancient Greek and it's internationally renowned for its advanced curricula in philosophy, literature and history.

Which brings me to my interests: other than the 3 previously named subjects, I really like everything regarding Film production, Cinema and Theatre, so of course my ULTIMATE dream is working in this field, specifically as a Screenwriter or a Director/PD or even as an Art director.

My plan is finishing a BA in max. 2/3 years so that by the time I'm 19/20 I'll have both that and my highschool diploma. 

If a specific school requires it for graduation, I'm willing to take summer on-campus classes or the whole last year on-campus ESPECIALLY if it's located in Massachusets or Québec or Paris as I can stay with my relatives from there when needed. But other than that it has to be online and <$10k.

The reasons why I'm going about things this way is because 1) I dislike how dragged out (among other things) the italian education is 2) Getting a BA at the early beginning of my adulthood will give me safety and the confidence I need to go after my big dreams without worrying about financial stability because 3) I'm the daughter of a single mom with two kids (I have a brother) and part of lower-middle class, so I obviously can't afford prestigious schools like Juilliard.

Degrees in Humanities (maybe General Studies with a concentration in History or something similar); I obviously appreciate History/Philosophy/Lit but frankly at this point I'm really just accostumed to them and the idea of building a career around them in the future doesn't particularly thrill me. On the other hand, although I've never even considered Criminal Justice till recently.. a CJ degree with a concentration in forensic psychology sounds pretty intriguing to me. I mean, at the end of the day I don't think any degree is actually needed in order to (one day) make/write movies, so I guess I can get creative with whatever BA degree I choose now really. Now, I'd obviously prefer if my BA degree had to do with  Multimedia or anything related to the Arts field but I know finding such programs with big Credits transferability isn't easy.

Fast facts on credits: I have none but I'm willing to take many CLEP and/or DSST exams because testing centers are luckily nearby for me and also many language exams because I know 5 languages other than English (Italian, Arabic, Korean, Latin, French), excluding Ancient Greek for obvious reasons.

Please understand that I'm unable to go straight after my film-making dreams now because neither can I afford it nor do I want to keep stuggling financially for long; my goal is being able to obtain a gratifying job first through a Bachelor (and, if required, a Master) and save money from there. Also FIY I'm not into IT, Business, and overall in fields I haven't mentioned.

Thank you for any help in advance, I know it's a hard request and I'm sorry for writing such a long post. However, having someone giving me good directions would be of great, great help.. I get often fed up with the amount of information and possibilities.

Have a good day and thank you for reading till this point if you have and for contribuiting to such a resourceful forum!!
So your cheapest/easiest option is going to be a BALS at TESU or a BSL at EC, because both will take the ACTFL exams. With so many languages, you could literally get all of your UL & LL Area of Study courses completed today!

The main issue with TESU is that you have to have 30cr of RA (so from a Regionally Accredited school) - but you can get those via TECEP and UExcel exams. For EC, it's going to be whether or not they'll take the ACTFL exams for non-duplicative credit.

For ACTFL Exams, I see you doing OPIc exams (Oral) for 4 languages: Italian, Arabic, Korean, and French. $108 each, and if you score the highest possible on them, they are worth 12cr EACH (6cr LL and 6cr UL). That's 48cr for $432, equating to $9/cr. Then, take the LPT, RPT & WPT for Italian ($51, $51, and $108) for another 18cr LL and 6cr UL). And then the LPT & RPT for French for another 12cr LL. The total for these exams is $744 for 54cr LL and 30cr UL.

You then need to see if EC will take all of those credits as non-duplicative (I'm not sure what they bring everything in as). If they will give you 84cr for them all, then you are golden, and should stay there, as they're cheaper. You'll have all of your UL credits completed. You can then finish up with Sophia for English Comp I & II, Ethics, Psych, Sociology, US History I or II, Environmental Science, Human Biology, College Algebra or Stats, Developing Effective Teams, and The Essentials of Managing Conflict. Enroll and take Info Lit, the Cornerstone, and the Capstone, and I think you complete your degree for less than $6500.

For TESU, after ACTFL you would take English Comp I & II, Public Speaking, Liberal Arts Math, The Science of Nutrition, and Computer Concepts TECEP exams. Then take SOCx330: World Population and HISx340: World Conflicts Since 1900 UExcel exams. Then Intro to Ethics and Intro to Sociology from Sophia. Finally American Government at either ICC or as a CLEP. Then enroll and take the Cornerstone and Capstone. Total degree is somewhere around $8750.

Either way, an RA Bachelor's degree for less than $9,000 is a sweet deal.

Good luck!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ciao e benvenuto!

If your dream is to go into movie-making, then a Liberal Studies degree is going to be your fastest, cheapest, and easiest route to a Bachelor's degree. But do you plan to stay in Italy? I know that a lot of young Italians are leaving or plan to leave Italy in search of better job opportunities. If you plan to leave, you might want more than just a Bachelor's in Liberal Studies.

It would be close to your budget limit, but one possibility would be to get a Bachelor's degree in something and then a Master's degree in Classical Archaeology for about 2500€. https://www.international.unitelmasapien...cs-english You would also need 3 additional courses for 66€ each: https://www.international.unitelmasapien...ers-degree They do have other degrees in Italian, so you could look to see if any of those fit your desires/budget.

Having a Master's degree in something would be better than not having a Master's degree, especially if you ever plan to work outside of Italy!

You cannot apply to TESU until you turn 18. Excelsior is not quite as strict but it would be easier for if you wait until your 18th birthday. That said, you CAN start earning credit right away! If you want to go to TESU, you can also use TEL Learning to get the necessary RA credits to obtain one of their degrees. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap You would have to wait until graduation from high school to access any courses at Olivet Nazarene that are suggested on that page.

If you did a 16-credit term at TESU (https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...timization) a BALS (Liberal Studies) degree would cost approximately $6200. $4639 for the 16 credits at TESU + $200 for one course at TEL Learning + $600 for 4 courses at ONU OR 4 TECEP exams + $316 for 4 months of Sophia + about $400 for ACTFL exams. This does not count the cost of a TOEFL exam, graduation fees, or course extension fees at TESU (if needed).

If you did NOT do a 16-credit term, change $4639 to $3114 for just 6 credits and add $3195 in fees plus about $500 for 15 more RA credits, bringing the cost to right around $8500.

Excelsior does not require RA credit. But they do require 30 upper level credits and this can be costly. I don't know how they bring in the ACTFL, so you might have to take a few courses from Study.com and/or Coopersmith in order to get all of your Upper Level credits. Your cost for an Excelsior degree would be approximately . $3570 for 7 credits + $1095 enrollment fee + $140 technology fee + $316 for 4 months of Sophia + $400 for ACTFL exams + $1000 for Study.com and/or Coopersmith. Total cost: approximately $6500.

These are just estimates, though. Costs could be slightly higher or lower depending on how fast you're able to complete courses or if you choose a different degree. As an example, the lowest cost for a Computer Science degree at TESU is about $7500. I think that a History degree should be somewhere between the two. Criminal Justice from TESU would probably cost a bit more than Computer Science because of specific requirements.

I would strongly suggest getting a Bachelor's degree as cheaply as possible and saving the remainder for a Master's degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Ciao!! Thank you so much @dfrecore and @rachel83az for such useful advice. Really grateful for the time you used to help me.

I see, I wish there was someone who could confirm whether EC would take all ACTFL (OPIc + LPT, RPT, WPT) 84 credits as non-duplicative as I think that would make things extremely easier (I'd just have to finish up with Sophia, Info Lit, Cornerstone+Capstone.)

Also yes, @rachel83az, it's just like you said.. the unemployment rate is honestly depressing. Most people move out of their parent's house when they're around 30. I'm trying my best to find a detouring way so I can get away from all of this asap. If I manage to get my BALS when I'm 19, I'll then get a Master online while working part-time/full-time and go ahead in my career. I'm confident I'll be far ahead enough to make moves in the movie-making industry at that point, if that's still my passion. Also, I should add it is probably the fact I'm in contact with many relatives of mine that live in accademically stimulating cities (Boston, etc.) that is helping ignite me with initiative.

I've decided on Liberal studies (perhaps with a Humanities concentration) and I went through the Wiki that lists the recommended courses to take for the 30 credits in lib studies. I was wondering, can I replace all of the ONU ones with TEL or another provider? If yes, can someone help me find 3 courses in Humanities UL that can replace the ONU ones? I'd rather pay a bit more instead of having to wait for 2 more years.

These may all be dumb question so I apologize in advance.. but I'm not sure I understand how the 16 credits term works. What are the 16 credits divided into apart from Info Lit and Capstone? Do I just apply for TESU(when I'm 18), sign up for Capstone and then take whatever courses I think would fit into my Lib Studies degree? Because although I see the recommended "no-fail" courses on the Wiki I don't understand if there are specific courses I have to take for my Lib studies Humanities degree for those 16 credits and if there are, which ones and how many are they? Assuming EC won't take the massive ACTFL credits as non-duplicative, waiting till I'm 18 and taking this 16 credits term seems somehow doable too although harder (because of workload during my hardest hs year).

Based on my understanding, TESU would take the 84 ACTFL credits as non-duplicative, right? So would I only have to get the remaining 30 RA credits + 6 TESU credits? I'm sorry for misunderstanding if that is not the case.

As for pursuing EC the NON-ACTFL way or TESU the NON-16 credits term way, these two schools seem to have the following differences if I understood properly:

1. Price: EC degree around $6500 ; TESU degree around $8500
2. I have to wait a year in order to start working on the 16 credits at TESU while I can get all the required LL and UL credits through Sophia and Study.com and/or Coopersmith starting from now.

I dont mind pursuing TESU and taking all the TECEP and uExcel Exams listed by @dfrecore too.

I'm quite lost, I don't know what the best combination of cheap + fast + somehow "minor-friendly" would be in this circumstance, in term of Schools AND credit Providers.

And the possibility of all the languages ending up being useless in term of credits is quite disheartin as well..
'Cause without those two decisions I don't even know where to begin with degree planning..

Grazie mille again, wish everyone here a good day!!
(09-06-2021, 09:47 AM)enantiodromia Wrote: I've decided on Liberal studies (perhaps with a Humanities concentration) and I went through the Wiki that lists the recommended courses to take for the 30 credits in lib studies. I was wondering, can I replace all of the ONU ones with TEL or another provider? If yes, can someone help me find 3 courses in Humanities UL that can replace the ONU ones? I'd rather pay a bit more instead of having to wait for 2 more years.
For TESU, you only need a total of 18 UL credits. 3 come from the capstone, the rest come from other classes. The humanities concentration only lists UL because you can use literally any other Liberal Studies courses for the LL courses. If you take the ACTFL exams, I think that you can easily get 6 12 UL credits + 12 LL credits for one language with two exams. You could take another ACTFL exam for another language, but that might confuse TESU. For you, I would probably suggest one of the Coopersmith history courses. The remaining LL class can be any Sophia course from https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...al_Studies

Quote:These may all be dumb question so I apologize in advance.. but I'm not sure I understand how the 16 credits term works. What are the 16 credits divided into apart from Info Lit and Capstone?
This part can be confusing because TESU is unique in this regard! The 16 credits can be literally anything. But, to make things as easy as possible for you, I probably recommend:
  • SOS-110 Information Literacy
  • LIB-495 Capstone
  • ART-100 - Should be pretty easy after taking the Sophia Art History courses.
  • CIS-107 ePack - ePacks are exams that cost as much as regular courses. They count toward TESU's residency requirement. This one is particularly easy without much study, but feel free to pick a different ePack that you think looks easy: https://www2.tesu.edu/listallc.php?type=EP
  • FIL-110 American Cinema - This is a first year level course and should be pretty easy with minimal work. https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=FIL-110&sem=
  • PLA-100 OR ENG-298 - A 1-credit course to bring the total up to 16 credits. PLA-100 can be completed in about a day. I'm not sure how long ENG-298 is but it obviously requires you to read the Jane Austen novel. Probably takes longer, but you might enjoy it more.
Most of SOS-110 can be completed in the first week. PLA-100 only takes about a day. You'd take the ePack exam during the second week. This would leave you with the capstone, a little bit of SOS-110, and the two first-year courses of ART-100 and FIL-110. This should be very doable. From what I've heard of the Italian school system, you might even find this easier than high school!

Quote:Do I just apply for TESU(when I'm 18), sign up for Capstone and then take whatever courses I think would fit into my Lib Studies degree?
You cannot take the capstone until you have at least 100 credits toward your degree. Taking the 16-credit term would be the last thing that you'd do before graduation. We can certainly help take most of the guesswork out of getting your degree.

Quote:Because although I see the recommended "no-fail" courses on the Wiki I don't understand if there are specific courses I have to take for my Lib studies Humanities degree for those 16 credits and if there are, which ones and how many are they?

The ones that you'd take for your 16-credit term would mostly be electives. Other people have different recommended courses. TESU also has a lot of leeway as to what courses fit degree requirements - at least compared to many other American universities.

Quote:Assuming EC won't take the massive ACTFL credits as non-duplicative, waiting till I'm 18 and taking this 16 credits term seems somehow doable too although harder (because of workload during my hardest hs year).
The hardest part is the capstone. As an Italian, you will probably find the workload of the remaining courses above laughably easy. I've heard stories. Italian high school sounds scary.

Quote:Based on my understanding, TESU would take the 84 ACTFL credits as non-duplicative, right? So would I only have to get the remaining 30 RA credits + 6 TESU credits? I'm sorry for misunderstanding if that is not the case.
As mentioned above, you could kind of do this in theory. But not really and it's not necessary. This would be a more expensive way to get credits than using Sophia for your LL credits (1st and 2nd year).

A TESU BALS Humanities degree consists of:
  • 42 "general education" credits - this is where we usually recommend that you put the 30 RA credits, but it depends. RA credit can also go into electives. This area has specific credit requirements that need to be hit, including math, public speaking, and English Composition. 
  • 3 credits cornerstone
  • 30 elective credits - these can be literally anything you want
  • 42 credits of "liberal studies"  Area of Study courses (18 humanities + 24 ANY liberal studies credits). Almost anything that is not business can count as a Liberal Studies course. At least 15 credits need to be UL (3rd or 4th year equivalent). Also, I think you cannot just fill up the AOS with one type of credit (in this case, foreign language) or else it doesn't count as a BALS and you don't get your degree. I think I remember another student having a similar problem with their BALS degree in the past.
  • 3 credits capstone
So, for your degree:
  • You could get 45-60 credits at Sophia relatively easily. (Avoiding courses that have no equivalent and most that are listed under business/comp sci here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List Also, avoid English Composition courses ) This will fill out most of your gen ed credits. Make sure to take "Developing Effective Teams" and "The Essentials of Managing Conflict" for 1 credit each to go with the 1-credit PLA-100. 
  • 24 credits from ACTFL
  • 3 credits from InstantCert (American Government) - $45
  • 16 credits for the single term
  • 6 credits for English Composition TECEP exams (counts as RA credit but NOT as residency credit)
  • 6 credits from Study.com Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace is the easiest way to meet the Public Speaking requirement; no speaking, just an exam. Take any other Study.com course as an elective. Or take Political Science 103: Comparative Politics and skip InstantCert.
  • 9 further credits from TEL Learning or TECEPs to meet the RA credit requirement
  • 3 or 6 UL humanities credits from Coopersmith or UExcel exams
With the right planning, you should wind up with exactly 120 credits. If you want an exact list of courses that we think you should take, we can do that. 

Quote:2. I have to wait a year in order to start working on the 16 credits at TESU while I can get all the required LL and UL credits through Sophia and Study.com and/or Coopersmith starting from now.
Yes. With the RA credit requirement, it will probably take you about a year to get the necessary RA credit anyway. Even if you take the UExcel exams, you still need to study for them.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
Hmm, BTW, your reply is a double post... Are you a US Citizen living in Italy?  I wouldn't worry about deciding on a degree/school yet as you're just starting off, you can make that decision when you're at 30 credits or more... I would start getting some credits first and while getting them, it'll become more clear which degree you decide on when that time comes.  I think a Liberal Arts/Studies is a great check the box degree option for laddering up to the Masters later on.

My recommendation is to focus on your "high school" and selectively do as many CLEP/MS courses you can that will hit the liberal arts courses, you may also want to invest in a second monitor and work on Sophia.org courses that aren't available as CLEPs.  You may also want to check out the cheap or freebies for courses too from various providers here, https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit

Grab a spreadsheet template (Beginner's Guide post 28/31 and later posts), create a degree plan, customize it for both Excelsior & TESU, and use CLEP/Sophia.org for lower level.  EC/TESU also uses NCCRS credits from Coopersmith/Davar/Onlinedegree.com, so you can select from ACE/NCCRS providers such as those for courses not offered by CLEP/Sophia, furthermore, you can get Upper Level with CS/Davar, you can opt to go for Study.com if you want.

Get 30, 45, 60 credits before you decide your degree/school as the credits you reference should apply to both school, hold off for the AOS when the time comes, here are the equivalency from Sophia.org, find the ones on MS/CLEP on their websites.  For the price, EC is cheaper.  Having said that, for ROI/Value, you may want to double major or get two BA (History & Psych) at TESU for the same price as one.

Last but not least, you can get a Masters from Walden Tempo Learning after all is said and done, they provide Competency Based Education (CBE) programs, they offer Masters CJ and a Masters Psych, $2700/term.  A few have completed the Masters in two terms for $5400... so, you end up with a Bachelors and a Masters for under $15K!  I wonder, is your bro older or younger than you? He deciding on going the same route?

TEEX https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TEEX 
Sophia https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...rning,_LLC
Sophia https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
Providers: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...ding_Tests
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I would say that the best bet is going to be finding out from EC if the ACTFL exams come in as non-duplicative. If so, although it won't be the cheapest option, it's certainly your easiest one. The OPIc/OPI and WPT both have up to 6cr of UL, so using those to get your credit would actually get you ALL of the UL credit you need at EC if they'll take those and you can get the maximum credit for those.

If you think you can pass all 4 OPIc exams at the highest level, I would do that - that's $432/48cr (24cr UL and 24cr LL); at that point, EC will be done for UL, because both the Cornerstone and Capstone are UL, putting you at 30cr UL when you're done. That's going to be your easiest (but not cheapest) option. It's what I would do.

Contact EC and ask them how they'll bring in ACTFL credits for 4 different languages.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-06-2021, 11:08 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
Quote:The hardest part is the capstone. As an Italian, you will probably find the workload of the remaining courses above laughably easy. I've heard stories.
They are indeed.. italian education is honestly very old-fashioned, there is barely any day for resting. I remember a classmate once shyly complaining about the massive homework load we'd been assigned to our Ancient Greek teacher and her bitterly replying with something along the lines of "Well, if you wanted to have afternoons where you can take walks around the city, then why did you come to this school and not to a hair styling training one?". Many wrong undertones are in this reply of hers.. I mean, I'm grateful for the deepened curriculum in philosophy, history and literature, but I didn't know that'd come with PTSD in the future. Having said this, I'm sure I can still make enough time to work on other exams and courses with some rigid time management and sacrifices.
Quote:[*]9 further credits from TEL Learning or TECEPs to meet the RA credit requirement
[*]

Lower Level credits right? Just when I thought I'd finally got the hang of degree planning for a BALS in Humanities, I think I might be changing degree though..

(09-06-2021, 11:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Are you a US Citizen living in Italy?  I wouldn't worry about deciding on a degree/school yet as you're just starting off, you can make that decision when you're at 30 credits or more... I would start getting some credits first and while getting them, it'll become more clear which degree you decide on when that time comes.  I think a Liberal Arts/Studies is a great check the box degree option for laddering up to the Masters later on.
[*]

Oh no, I'm Moroccan. My parents migrated to Italy and I therefore have dual citizenship. I'm considering overseas Master programs that offer full scholarship grants to people who hold citizenship of OECD DAC Recipient Countries. BTW I'm aware I'll have to take the TOEFL but that's not a problem at all. Also, I'm no longer sure I want a BALS but I'm rather leaning toward double majoring in History & Psychology at TESU, like you suggested.

Quote:My recommendation is to focus on your "high school" and selectively do as many CLEP/MS courses you can that will hit the liberal arts courses, you may also want to invest in a second monitor and work on Sophia.org courses that aren't available as CLEPs.  You may also want to check out the cheap or freebies for courses too from various providers here, https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
[*]

I'm quite lucky to be living near a few testing centers, NATO and University of Maryland perks- Oh, right, I've been meaning to ask if there was any advantage to living near said University, though I don't think there is, since it's an online school anyway.. Only advantage that comes to my mind is maybe an on-campus graduation but that's about that, right..?
Also, I'd love to have a second monitor but I've just managed to get my still laggy laptop that had been broken for three years repaired and I can't afford buying neither a new one nor a second monitor for now. But I do have an Ipad, and that's how I get by (guess I can use that for multitasking).

Quote:Grab a spreadsheet template (Beginner's Guide post 28/31 and later posts), create a degree plan, customize it for both Excelsior & TESU, and use CLEP/Sophia.org for lower level.  EC/TESU also uses NCCRS credits from Coopersmith/Davar/Onlinedegree.com, so you can select from ACE/NCCRS providers such as those for courses not offered by CLEP/Sophia, furthermore, you can get Upper Level with CS/Davar, you can opt to go for Study.com if you want.
[*]
I've found a spreadsheet degree plan on collegedegreeroadmap.com for a BA General Studies History&Psychology degree at COSC: can someone please help me adapt it into a BA History&Psychology degree at TESU?

Quote:Get 30, 45, 60 credits before you decide your degree/school as the credits you reference should apply to both school, hold off for the AOS when the time comes, here are the equivalency from Sophia.org, find the ones on MS/CLEP on their websites.  For the price, EC is cheaper.  Having said that, for ROI/Value, you may want to double major or get two BA (History & Psych) at TESU for the same price as one.
[*]

I hope someone can help me degree plan for a BA in History&Psychology at TESU for that reason, I hadn't even thought about it before, so thank you. Please tell me if it comes with many hurdles compared to a BALS Humanities at TESU.. one downside I can think of is the price, I think a BALS would be cheaper.. but by how much approx.? And is there anything else I should take into consideration? 
Quote:I wonder, is your bro older or younger than you? He deciding on going the same route?
[*]

Younger! He's just starting middle school so I think it's a bit early, but I'll make sure to help him one day, was he to ever decide going this route as well!
Time moves fast and expenses grow bigger as well, unfortunately. I wish to move fast as well in order to save my mother and myself as much struggle as possible in the future.

Thank you so much @rachel83az and @bjcheung, can't put it into words, how much I appreciate what you're doing!!

(09-07-2021, 02:47 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that the best bet is going to be finding out from EC if the ACTFL exams come in as non-duplicative. If so, although it won't be the cheapest option, it's certainly your easiest one. The OPIc/OPI and WPT both have up to 6cr of UL, so using those to get your credit would actually get you ALL of the UL credit you need at EC if they'll take those and you can get the maximum credit for those.

If you think you can pass all 4 OPIc exams at the highest level, I would do that - that's $432/48cr (24cr UL and 24cr LL); at that point, EC will be done for UL, because both the Cornerstone and Capstone are UL, putting you at 30cr UL when you're done. That's going to be your easiest (but not cheapest) option. It's what I would do.

Contact EC and ask them how they'll bring in ACTFL credits for 4 different languages.

Totally agree with you. Taking the 4 language exams is going to doubtlessly save me a lot of time. I'll contact EC and let you know what they say on this matter! Thank you so much for your advice again

Attached Files
.pdf   Gen_Studies_History_Psych_Bachelor_s_Degree_Plan.pdf (Size: 193.57 KB / Downloads: 8)
Just an FYI, COSC has kind of the "worst of both worlds" in that they require 30cr of UL (EC) and 30cr of RA (TESU); they offset that with cost, but they also offset that with ease - they do not take NCCRS at all, and they only take ACE from specific providers (and ACTFL is not on that list).  So you are limited to get all of your UL credit from Study.com.  That's not terrible, but you are just more limited there.  It will definitely take you longer to get the degree than if you used TESU or EC.

I'm also not 100% certain that they will accept TECEP and/or UExcel exams as RA credit, so you'd need that confirmed prior to doing this degree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to point out that this degree plan is outdated, and I know this because none of the DSST History exams listed is UL any longer (Soviet Union was downgraded on 2/1/21, Civil War and Vietnam were downgraded on 8/1/18) - so this is at LEAST 3 ½ years old, and no longer valid.  Just keep that in mind.
I'm on mobile right now, so I can't post links easily. However, if you check out the Gen Ed roadmap for TESU, there are links to the History and Psych plans. To get a double degree, you'd use your History courses for the electives of your Psych degree and your Psych courses for electives in your History degree. You might wind up needing slightly more than 120 total credits that way but I'm not completely sure.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 26 5 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 6 103 15 minutes ago
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 34 592 2 hours ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 312 3 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 135 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,476 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,853 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 562 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower