Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
edX MBA: Boston University - $24,000
Not that it really matters since I am at Walden and happy to have found a school with my preferred concentration, but I really expected whatever edx brought out for their MBA to be better. BU is a wonderful school, but the curriculum for this program seems really oddly setup, and for that many credits and cost I think I would prefer a concentration from an online program.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(07-26-2019, 04:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ThatBankDude Wrote:The biggest issue I have is that they do not allow the online MBA students to utilize the networking opportunities that they do to on campus students. They essentially give the online students their own networking platform and such.

Wait a minute, so they treat these online edX degrees like how Harvard treats the HES?  I thought the edX ones were exactly the same as the butt-in-seat versions, just the platform for learning was different.  If nothing else is different besides the platform of learning, it's well worth it to take it through partnership with edX or other MOOC providers.
jsd is correct. I feel like I read somewhere too though that the online MBA students are provided online networking opportunities and have access to an online job board and such. Apparently, and I could be wrong, they are not given access to all the same stuff that the on-campus MBA students are. If true, this would make sense for the significant price difference.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
(07-26-2019, 12:29 PM)jsd Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 11:05 AM)Stoic Wrote: Stigma of edx (online) attached to it.

Edx is just the lecture delivery platform. The only way someone would even know you watched edx videos during your degree program is if you told them, and I don't really understand why you would

It might be difficult to hide during a job interview
(08-01-2019, 03:44 AM)ShoTo Wrote:

Edx is just the lecture delivery platform. The only way someone would even know you watched edx videos during your degree program is if you told them, and I don't really understand why you would

Also you need to disclose your degree is from mooc edx. I want to know; what is the impact to find a  job? What it is the pro and cons.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(08-01-2019, 06:04 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote:

Also you need to disclose your degree is from mooc edx. I want to know; what is the impact to find a  job? What it is the pro and cons.
Why would you disclose this? Your degree isn't from edX, it's from Boston University, who has decided to offer their MBA using edX's technology. It's akin to deciding you need to disclose that your degree from a B&M institution is a degree "from Canvas" because your school uses that LMS.

You're never going to be asked what learning management software was used for your degree.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • alab21, cookderosa
(08-01-2019, 10:51 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Why would you disclose this? Your degree isn't from edX, it's from Boston University, who has decided to offer their MBA using edX's technology. It's akin to deciding you need to disclose that your degree from a B&M institution is a degree "from Canvas" because your school uses that LMS.

You're never going to be asked what learning management software was used for your degree.
My current job ask me to provide my diploma. If I provide edx diploma. It will disclose where you took your degree. I went to edx, it listed it will need to disclose on your resume mooc edx. Can someone confirm with me if I am correct?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(08-01-2019, 03:44 AM)ShoTo Wrote: It might be difficult to hide during a job interview

What? Why? When has anyone ever asked you to disclose what software your school utilizes? I've never been asked about if my butt in seat or online courses used Blackboard or Canvas software, etc. It could likely become obvious you did your courses online (say you've been working in California for your entire career but have a Georgia Tech degree earned in that time... Smile  ), but why would edx come up in that conversation?

Quote:My current job ask me to provide my diploma. If I provide edx diploma. It will disclose where you took your degree. I went to edx, it listed it will need to disclose on your resume mooc edx. Can someone confirm with me if I am correct?

No, your diploma is not from edX. edX isn't doing anything other than hosting some lectures for the school that will actually issue the diploma. Your school work will still be handed in directly to the school, your exams will be through the school, and your student interaction with TAs/faculty will be through the school. edX is just hosting videos. In this case, you'd have a Boston University diploma/transcript to show your employer, and it wouldn't mention edX in anyway.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • alab21
(08-01-2019, 11:14 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote:
(08-01-2019, 10:51 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 12:29 PM)jsd Wrote: Edx is just the lecture delivery platform. The only way someone would even know you watched edx videos during your degree program is if you told them, and I don't really understand why you would

My current job ask me to provide my diploma. If I provide edx diploma. It will disclose where you took your degree. I went to edx, it listed it will need to disclose on your resume mooc edx. Can someone confirm with me if I am correct?
This is not correct. You will not have a diploma from edX if you do this program. You will have a diploma from Boston University
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • alab21
Am I reading this correctly? No finance credits? No accounting? Seems like an odd course list.
Excelsior - Bachelors Of Science in General Business - Complete 2016
CMA - Complete 2019
MBA In Finance - Louisiana State University Shreveport - Complete 2020
Personally it appeals to me even more :p

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
[-] The following 1 user Likes posabsolute's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 206 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,046 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,966 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,307 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,296 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy