Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESC - BSBA in Computer Information Systems
I have a question about this degree. I'm not sure if it is the way TESC named it, but is it essentially a bachelors in IT management?
It's a business administration degree with an 18-credit concentration in CIS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I will try to answer your question even though I am currently enrolled in Excelsior's BSBA-MIS degree. The degree's are very similar. With Excelsior, the choice of computer electives will determine if the degree is technical or management focused. If you are planning a management position, focus on courses like Project Management, Analysis and Design, etc. If you are planning for a more technical position, focus more on the area of you plan to work in. I plan to work in Web Development, so I am focusing more on technical courses and taking the minimum management type courses.
TESC 2015 - BSBA, Computer Information Systems

TESC 2019 - 21 Post-bachelor accounting credits
At TESC, Systems Analysis and Design is required. I don't think Project Management would even be allowed in the CIS specialization. Also, at TESC, there is really not much of a difference between how computer science and computer information systems courses apply. Computer science courses can be used for the CIS concentration, BA in computer science, and BSAST in Information Technology. Most of the CIS courses can be used for the BA in computer science, CIS concentration, and BSAST in Information Technology. You can take a look at the CIS courses TESC offers to get an idea, but you will more than likely use some computer science or computer science technology courses to fill the specialization because TESC offers a limited number of CIS courses. There also aren't many test out options for just CIS. The other test out options will be COS or CMP. Unlike Excelsior, TESC does not have a managerial track or technical track; however, Excelsior's program is really not all that different. The difference between their managerial track and technical track is 9 credits. Their MIS concentration is a total of 18 credits.
Thomas Edison State College: Course Offerings

You can also take a look at the types of courses they recommend.
BSBA in Computer Information Systems Degree Program

In the end, it is mostly just a business administration degree that let's you take some technical courses. It is not an IT management degree. All of the BSBAs are exactly the same with the exception of the 18-credit specialization. That means the BSBA in Accounting, Marketing, Finance, or whatever is 85% like the BSBA in CIS.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Thank you for the help guys. I was always under the impression there is 3 main cat within the the computer field, IT, Comp Engineering and Comp science. The whole CIS thing threw me off. I was more interested in the IT field with a emphasis on the management side. I seen Excelsior provides a degree on it. I wasn't sure if TESC was the same but under a different name.

@Sinclair is taking courses with Excelsior similar to TESC? TESC is the only online course I have taken. I'm currently in the service and in the middle of changing my career field to IT. Hopefully I am able to transfer most of my military training and certs over.
Hi,

I thought this was an excellent, easy to digest, thread explaining the differences between CS, CIS and MIS.
Management of Info Systems vs Information Systems /Comp Science. Whats difference?

I would also search out posts on this forum by Geezer, (holds an Excelsior BS in business) his sons graduated from TESC with a BSBA CIS and BS CS. The son with the BS CS then went on to Florida State to begin a masters program. He offers a ton of information about both degrees, further education and career opportunities. Geezer is a long time poster so you'll have to sift through many threads or be as specific as you can when searching.

Ryoder received a BSBA CIS and a second bachelor's BA NSM and went on to complete his MBA in applied computer science (currently working on PhD program).

Also dcan is another forum member who has either earned or is completing a BS CS degree at TESC (switched from the BSBA). He holds an AAS Computer Science from CCAF. His posts may offer relevant military transfer guidance.

If information systems or computer science were my chosen field, by what I've read, I would go with either the BSBA CIS or BS in computer science.

Good luck in whichever road you choose!!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
BubbleHead87 Wrote:@Sinclair is taking courses with Excelsior similar to TESC?

I have only taken one course at Excelsior. They are expensive, so I try to find alternatives. The Kentucky Community College system has several lower level self-paced computer courses, so I knocked out several classes through them in less than a month. I only plan to complete 12 credits at Excelsior as part of my degree.

Because I haven't taken courses at TESC, it would be hard for me to make a comparison.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Information Literacy mysonx3 2 2,226 09-01-2018, 12:43 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  TESU Computer Concepts CIS-107 sambeaux 3 1,966 09-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
Thumbs Up TESU BSBA spreadsheet - request for feedback mykal335i 4 2,045 08-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Last Post: mykal335i
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,679 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  TESU BSBA GM Completion Timeline dexter1326 9 2,294 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan kietro 11 5,031 08-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Last Post: kietro
  BSBA Gen Management TESU or Accounting Help LoanGunman 2 1,506 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: LoanGunman
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,150 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,547 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker