Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flunked armed forces admission exam
smokey2011 Wrote:What the recruiters usually do is if there is a push for a specific job, they try to steer the recruits towards that job or at best come in open contract so the military can put them where they want them.

I thought that's what I said:p
That was the old recruiter coming out of me LOL

You're right, on rare occasions the Air Force is the only other service that might let recruits pick a specific job, but a high score is usually needed. My little cousing scored and 81 and he still couldn't pick a specific job. He wants to do Air Traffic Controller. Instead he had to make a list of 10 possible jobs.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
LaterBloomer Wrote:For a historical perspective (1983), I can attest that a high ASVAB score is very important. The economy was bad. When I went into the Air Force recruiter's office, he didn't look excited to see me. When I mentioned my score, he sat up, his eyes widened, and he became very welcoming. Have your nephew do all that he can to get a high score. It matters. Maybe he can also get FEMA and some other credits to get a year of college. Anything to show that he's determined. (Thanks for the explanation from others on what is actually counted in the score. I couldn't figure out how my score was so high when my technical/electronic/whatever skills amounted to being able to turn a light switch on and off!) Good luck to him, and he's fortunate to have you in his corner.

He has a learning disability that, for him, passing will be a major accomplishment. Scoring high is a pipe dream, though I appreciate your help. This may all end up being for nothing because he seems pretty convinced (or has been convinced) that he isn't "smart enough" to pass. I'm going to try and help him and encourage him. It all comes down to how bad he wants it.
You my want to tell your nephew to take a look at you local Air National Guard unit. one of the best kept secrets in the DOD. Almost all of the benefits minus the FULL TIME commitment, they still own you just only one weekended a month and two weeks a year. Or he can do what i did and take a full time job with the guard. the recruiters are less likely to try to pull a fast one on you because they still have to deal with you month to month. one thing to take note is the guard will not do open enlistment they have to have an opening in the career field he wants and qualifies for.

Sounds like your nephew may want to look at 2A7X1 Aircraft Metals Technology(fabrication shop) he will need to score a 44 on the mechanical section. but if the best he can do is score a 33 (minimum score )on the general section then Cop or cook are the only two options. being a Cop or (Security Forces) can be a good time in the guard, however if he wants to go active duty i would not recommended it.
clep101 Wrote:I thought that's what I said:p
That was the old recruiter coming out of me LOL

You're right, on rare occasions the Air Force is the only other service that might let recruits pick a specific job, but a high score is usually needed. My little cousing scored and 81 and he still couldn't pick a specific job. He wants to do Air Traffic Controller. Instead he had to make a list of 10 possible jobs.

Untrue. The Navy is very good about guaranteeing specific jobs. Few recruits come in "undes" these days and the overall effort is to get away from that entirely.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

cookderosa Wrote:I couldn't say for sure. It's whatever test they give to every person that helps them determine what jobs they would be suited for. This was technically a pre-test. He had to score a certain number in order t be sent to a nearby city for his "real" test but his score was too low so they told him he couldn't take the exam until he scored higher on his pre-test. This was the Air Force. He's feeling like a failure. He does have the prep material (web not book) and also used my ALEKS account for his math review. He studied hard (shhhh I checked the account to see if he was completing topics lol, he was!) but it wasn't enough.

If he took the pre-test (one at the recruiters office) keep in mind that it is HARDER than the real test. I scored a 72 on the pre-test and a 96 on the real test.

If that recruiter won't let him take the real one, go to the Army recruiter and ask to take the ASVAB. You have NO commitment when just taking the ASVAB, and it doesn't matter which branch takes you to the test (they all test at the same place and same time, same test). You can take it with the Army, and then go talk to any recruiter and they can access your score and let you know from there.

If he has problems taking tests, see about a tutoring service that can help him learn to take tests better. And get some study guides for the ASVAB to go with it.

Be sure to tell him that the pre-test really is harder than the real one, it might help cheer him up a bit.

As everyone else has said, pretty much every service has need for welders, the Army is probably the easiest to get the guaranteed job though. I'm prior Army (a few months shy of 6 years) and would recommend the Air Force if he can get in, in my experience (worked in both Army and Joint, with Air Force) the Air Force just treats their people better.
blu2blu Wrote:Untrue. The Navy is very good about guaranteeing specific jobs. Few recruits come in "undes" these days and the overall effort is to get away from that entirely.

I stand corrected. I guess I've been out of the recruiting business for a while. I guess things have changed a little. My sister went into the Navy and she had to go in as a "Seaman Apprentice" (is there such a thing?) But she basically told me it was a holding job until an actual MOS opened up for her. She went into the Admin/finance field after 18 months of being an apprentice.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:...go in as a "Seaman Apprentice" (is there such a thing?)

Navy:
E-1 Seaman Recruit
E-2 Seaman* Apprentice
E-3 Seaman*
E-4/6 Petty Officer - 3,2,1
E-7/9 Chief Petty Officer - Chief, Senior, Master
* AKA: Airman, Fireman, Constructionman, as appropriate.

- according to the '02 Bluejacket's manual, which just happened to be sitting on my shelf.
B.S. Comp Studies - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information Assurance - UMUC (May/2011)
Cert. Information & Network Security - UMBC Training Centers (June/2010)
A.A. Information Technology - Programming (May/2010)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEH, CHFI, Sec+, Linux+, iNet+, Project+, SCJP, SCWCD, CIW

"A job not worth doing is not worth doing well, but a job worth doing is worth doing right the first time."
She likely went in as an undesignated seaman ("undes") at the rank of Seaman Apprentice (E2). After a certain period of time undes personnel "strike" for a job (Rate). This system is going away but it is my understanding that the Coast Guard still uses this system quite a bit.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

It's awesome seeing how other services recruit their folks, it gives me another perspective on the services. Three of my stepsons have joined the military, two in the Army and one in the Air Force; all three got to pick their job, however I am sure a lot of the steering was done by the recruiter. I think the one that joined the Air Force had a distinct advantage (me :p) because he got a real idea of what the jobs were from a good source.

Without asking too many personal questions, does the recruiter know that your nephew has a learning disability? That may or may not preclude him from certain jobs in the Air Force, I am unsure about the other services. For example, if you are color blind or lack depth perception, there are certain jobs the Air Force automatically disqualifies you from when processing you through MEPS.
smokey2011 Wrote:It's awesome seeing how other services recruit their folks, it gives me another perspective on the services. Three of my stepsons have joined the military, two in the Army and one in the Air Force; all three got to pick their job, however I am sure a lot of the steering was done by the recruiter. I think the one that joined the Air Force had a distinct advantage (me :p) because he got a real idea of what the jobs were from a good source.

Without asking too many personal questions, does the recruiter know that your nephew has a learning disability? That may or may not preclude him from certain jobs in the Air Force, I am unsure about the other services. For example, if you are color blind or lack depth perception, there are certain jobs the Air Force automatically disqualifies you from when processing you through MEPS.

Thank you. I'm not sur if his LD was discussed or not. It's looking less and less like he'll be making another stab. His mom pretty much has him thinking he'll never pass the real thing. :mad: It's hard for me to keep my mouth shut because determination is very inherent to "my" personality, so I can't comprehend a situation where I'd take no for an answer on a pre-test alone, but I know not everyone feels that way. Truth is- testing for him is very hard. His "3 R's" are not very good, and he has a learning disability due to head trauma when he was a child. His mom tells him (frequently) that he's not smart enough to "pass" and tells me there is "no way he'll get in." Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. I just don't think that way, so I'm pretty frustrated about all of this.

OTOH, I do VERY MUCH appreciate all the advice, encouragement, and suggestions. My son, in 2 years, may pursue the armed forces, so I'm paying attention for him too. Thanks everyone, I'll update the thread if there is any change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU- Admission kruxalk20 15 3,420 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Excelsior college credit by exam elprrrrr5 1 1,414 10-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Prloko
  Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services andy3000 0 1,336 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Last Post: andy3000