Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
for those of you who got full financial aid
Well not all people can work & goto school fulltime. I have been doing it for years, but I have made a decision to take out loans and live + goto school off them for the next 6 months. Stafford will give you up to an X amount depending on the year you are considered in school. Also depending on the school if you are a dependent they will give you the amount of tuition, book expense, estimated cost of living (estimated in your area), travel and various other expenses. Sometimes you cant get anything because your tuition max's out what you can even get on the loan. But for people like me, tuition/books will be covered by Pell.. that leaves me to get the Max stafford will give me... but only according to what the schools estimates are on cost of living. For example, a friend at Life University here in atlanta gets nearly 5k from pell for tuition.. and on top of that receives about $23k from stafford per year.. half of that they are allowed to pocket to use for 'living expenses' because they do not work since they goto school nearly 13 hours a day already 4 days a week.
Is this a separate application from financial aid...... I am going to PM you because I need some input on this topic.
Bump

Nobody has any input on this?
I just picked this thread up. I'm happy to help if I can. I used financial aid for all of my time at TESC. Yes, you need to take 6 credits per quarter, and also you need to remember that you get everything in 1/4 distributions.

Also, the PELL grant is a gift, everything else is a loan- so TESC doesn't "give" you anything, they have very few scholarships. I applied and didn't get any, but it's worth a try.

TESC will allow you the pell if you qualify, which I think is roughly $5000, then your first student loan is roughly $5000, and so is the second. I'll defer my comments about the wisdom of taking out student loans to Dave Ramsey lol.
cookderosa Wrote:I just picked this thread up. I'm happy to help if I can. I used financial aid for all of my time at TESC. Yes, you need to take 6 credits per quarter, and also you need to remember that you get everything in 1/4 distributions.

Also, the PELL grant is a gift, everything else is a loan- so TESC doesn't "give" you anything, they have very few scholarships. I applied and didn't get any, but it's worth a try.

TESC will allow you the pell if you qualify, which I think is roughly $5000, then your first student loan is roughly $5000, and so is the second. I'll defer my comments about the wisdom of taking out student loans to Dave Ramsey
lol.

Does it take 2 quarters to make a semester? I am curious. Usually 12 semester hours to be considered full time. 6 hrs. would be half time so, therefore, they would only release half the amount of the financial aid for a part time student.

So, I am thinking the pell grant (if you qualify for full pell grant) is about $4800 divided by 2 quarters equals $2400 per quarter...........plus the student loan of $5000 divided by 2 quarters equals $2500 per quarter.

So, $2400 for pell and $2500 for student loan.............equals $4900 total per quarter for 6 credit hours each quarter.

Student loan goes up a little when you are a junior status.

Jennifer.................does this sound right? (it's the way I understand how financial aid works, not sure if TESC or COSC are the same though)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  StraighterLine Managerial or Financial Accounting? Gymfan15 17 6,264 10-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Gymfan15
  How does Financial Aid work if trying to get a degree from TESU?? David.Hamad 29 6,951 10-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Financial Aid azt579 5 939 02-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Last Post: azt579
  Penn Foster - Business courses similar to Financial Management bjcheung77 18 2,886 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  Operations Management vs Financial Institutions and Markets difficulty runnergirlnae 4 775 06-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Last Post: runnergirlnae
  Principles of Financial Accounting TECEP runnergirlnae 0 489 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Last Post: runnergirlnae
  Community college vs tesu financial aid related question. Ep2016 15 1,362 05-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TECEP Sales Management & TECEP Financial Institutions and Markets jfkmax 10 2,289 04-24-2016, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Banker214
  Penn Foster - Financial Management - - - - -I need some help !!! bigjimindfw 4 1,176 04-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Last Post: AngelaP
  COSC Financial Aid? strawberryxfuzz 3 709 03-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: sanantone