Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gi bill?
Is it possilbe to use it at 2 schools at one time. I'm coming up to my final months of using it and want to make the most of it . By geting more credits for starting another degree. Not sure where I was going to go too. I was thinking of excelsior or I think its called american military university.... they had a ba and ma degree for military science. Where I only thought it could only be a minor.
I don't believe you can go to more than one school at a time using the GI Bill. You need to fill out a form (which you can do online) to change your institution so I don't see how you can select more than one school at a time.

Call the VA to make sure but I suspect they will confirm what I just said.

EDIT: If you happen to be active duty still, or in the reserves, there is no reason you can't use your GI Bill for one school and TA for another. The programs are entirely separate.

BA/Liberal Studies, TESC 2011
AAS/Applied Electronic Studies, TESC 2010

blu2blu Wrote:I don't believe you can go to more than one school at a time using the GI Bill. You need to fill out a form (which you can do online) to change your institution so I don't see how you can select more than one school at a time.

Call the VA to make sure but I suspect they will confirm what I just said.

EDIT: If you happen to be active duty still, or in the reserves, there is no reason you can't use your GI Bill for one school and TA for another. The programs are entirely separate.

I transferred my GI Bill to my wife and she was able to use it at two colleges at the same time. She took a class at Central Texas College and at TESC paid by the GI Bill.

I'm not sure if you're "not" supposed to do that, but we did it anyways and there was no problems.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
ffdpsoldier Wrote:Is it possilbe to use it at 2 schools at one time. I'm coming up to my final months of using it and want to make the most of it . By geting more credits for starting another degree. Not sure where I was going to go too. I was thinking of excelsior or I think its called american military university.... they had a ba and ma degree for military science. Where I only thought it could only be a minor.

YES YOU CAN, I have been doing it for over a year (EC and UMUC). The process is fairly simple.

You're "parent school" (IE, the one you will graduate from) must first agree to accept the class(es) you intend to take. Do this semester by semester (for EC you just email your adviser the school name, course number, course name, description, link to syllabus, number of credits that school gives for it).

Once they confirm that they will accept it towards your degree (important, it MUST be towards your degree) you have them contact the financial aid department to draft the "parent letter" to the secondary school (UMUC in my case).

At the secondary school you register for the course, and apply for GI bill benefits as normal. Contact their VA rep (the schools VA rep) and let them know you are using GI Bill with <other school> as the parent. You will have to go through their normal process (send in 214 or certificate of eligibility) to verify GI Bill benefits.

Once the secondary school receives the parent letter they will file paperwork with the VA on your behalf. This can take a few weeks, so plan a head (UMUC has been good with removing holds from my account because the paperwork took longer than normal a couple times).

Overall it's a pretty simple process, your school agrees to take it, they do paperwork and sends it to second school. You register there as normal for GI bill at second school, they get parent letter and do everything else. When you're done with the class (or whenever you want) have the secondary school send official transcripts to the primary school (this is not automatic, or free).

I've been doing this for a year now, specifically so I can get the housing money from the GI Bill. I asked the VA if it was possible, they said sure and told me to talk to both schools. The process above is what I do every 2 months. Well worth the 1943USD/mo I get in housing for it!
Damn 1900$ where do you live I get 1300 in michigan. When I was in houston I got 1500$ a month. And thanks I'm considarding doing military history because I might transfer som into my history degree, than it counts for when I do AMU BA military history
Beginning algebra- ALEKS
Intermediate algebra- ALEKS
College algebra-ALEKS
Precalculus-ALEKS
Intro to statistics-ALEKS
Trigonometry-Aleks
Business statistics-Aleks
BS- Western Michigan University- April 28, 2012
2nd Lieutenant- Dec 14, 2012
i'm overseas as a contractor, UMUC is headquartered in Adelphi so that is the BAH rate they use. It's one of the loopholes in the system, and I'm taking full advantage of it. Of course, working full time and going to school full time is a pain.

To make it better, as a contractor overseas my company provides housing... so it's all extra cash. We're actually using that housing money (GI Bill) to pay for all of my wife's classes, both of us getting the degree for free!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GI Bill Hacking? spohara 8 2,326 07-02-2023, 08:08 AM
Last Post: joejoe2482
  9/11 GI BILL QUESTION smf6824 5 1,975 03-10-2022, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Insert Name
  GI Bill for independent and distance learning options BBryant165 1 1,318 08-20-2020, 12:23 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time Life Long Learning 6 1,850 02-21-2016, 05:05 AM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  GI Bill Dilemma Leherself 9 3,040 01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Leherself
  Using the Post 9/11 GI Bill - webinar Life Long Learning 0 1,208 01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Post 9/11 GI Bill and Excelsior College Exams Leherself 9 3,616 04-09-2015, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  A word of caution if using Post 9/11 GI Bill Prloko 9 2,624 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  GI Bill or VRAP Transfers? SweetSecret 1 1,072 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Last Post: lawqueen04
  Gi bill certificate of eligibility superpotsky 2 1,018 03-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Last Post: dposborne