Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
graduate school recommendations
Mamasaphire Wrote:Did she sign it and return it to you? In my CC Capstone course we were told that it's not typically a good idea to suggest to the mentor what to say because they could get offended, but I don't know how it works irl.

You just don't send a recommendation and ask to sign it, but you ask for the recommendation and you say, by the way, I know you're really busy, so I attached a letter for you in Word format for you to edit as you see fit" (wasn't my exact words, it was over a year ago). Her response "How can I say no when you made it so easy?". She tweaked a sentence here or there for her style and signed it.

Also, I did some research on her, and was able to speak to her experience and how she knows me rather than having her have to come up with that. If I find my email, I'll give you guys a sample on how I asked her. But honestly, she was an executive and not an academic. Some academics might get butt-hurt, but busy executives are used to having documents prepared for their approval, rather than them writing it, so that can be another reason.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
cookderosa Wrote:Good for you! So often people bail out on some grad schools because they won't bother approaching former professors. I did a test back when I was considering med school, and emailed multiple online science teachers asking if they'd be willing to write me a letter if I was a student in their online class- all positive replies (with limitations obviously) and I'm confident that if an online SCIENCE lab teacher will do this, that others will too. So, I just wanted to say good job!

I love everything about what you're outlining. I'd add the REASON you want/need their letter so it's clear. "ABC university requires 2 letters verifying my <skills>" or "ABC university's admission criteria asks for letters of recommendation from past professors....." etc. This let's them know what you need, and they can decide if they can do it and it keeps them on track to hit the points you need them to hit on.

I think you could attach a resume, or you could provide a summary in your letter to them. This is good because they probably don't know any of this about you, and it helps them see how their class aided in your career or academic goals. Either how their course exposed you to a new subject that lit a spark, or maybe how your career was the foundation and their course encouraged you to attend grad school, or even how it helped you change directions.... But, I would give some background and I would bridge it to some way in their course. When they think they've helped you, they will be extra motivated to help you go the rest of the way.

Congratulations, and are you sharing your grad school aspirations or not yet? Smile

P.S. EDIT TO ADD - if there is a deadline, you should say so in your email to them. Make your deadline that you need the letter from them at least 2 weeks before you REALLY need it to CYA. Knock em dead!

Thanks, Jennifer, for your always sound advice Smile

I like your suggestion to be clear about what I need and why. In these professors' classes, I actually did develop some of my ideas that are linked to my desire to pursue graduate study. I wrote an outline and then got to writing my personalized letters.

The grad programs I'm interested in are:
- Master of Arts in Teaching Languages (Spanish & English) at University of Southern Mississippi
- Master's degree in applied linguistics at Universidad Nebrija in Madrid, Spain
- Master's degree in applied linguistics at Universidad de León Madrid, Spain
- Master of Arts in Foreign Languages, Cultures, and Literatures at Virginia Tech
- MS, Spanish for the Professions at Minnesota State University Mankato

I'm still researching some of these programs, but in a couple of cases I'm ready to apply. My top choice right now is Nebrija.

Thank you for your encouragement and great ideas. I will keep you posted!
Associate in Arts - Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts in Humanities - Thomas Edison State University
pursuing Master's degree, Applied Linguistics - Universidad Antonio de Nebrija

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
kdubbub Wrote:I think it's a good idea to send a fairly detailed email. Tell them what field you're interested in, what programs youre applying to, what you got out of the class you took with them, etc. Then state at the end that you'd be happy to provide a resume and the personal statement for your application if they'd like. That's what I did when I recently reached out to a professor I had several years ago.

You know, this is a great idea. I think it's also a time-saver because I have to write the personal statement anyway. I also just finished my CV last night.

*credit sources: Patten University, Straighterline, Learning Counts, The Institutes, Torah College Credits, Kaplan Open College, UMUC, Thomas Edison State University (guided study liberal arts capstone)
I really should have titled this post Letters of Recommendation for Graduate School. Is there any way to change it?

I had asked one of my TESU mentors to write a recommendation, and he requested I write the letter which he would then "tune up". After researching a bit, I found that a lot of academics consider this an unethical practice and got someone else to do it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:I had asked one of my TESU mentors to write a recommendation, and he requested I write the letter which he would then "tune up". After researching a bit, I found that a lot of academics consider this an unethical practice and got someone else to do it.

This is really interesting. I'm glad I brought this up. I think it's an important topic for all graduate applicants, regardless of whether the studies are online or not.

ladylearner Wrote:Thanks, Jennifer, for your always sound advice Smile

I like your suggestion to be clear about what I need and why. In these professors' classes, I actually did develop some of my ideas that are linked to my desire to pursue graduate study. I wrote an outline and then got to writing my personalized letters.

The grad programs I'm interested in are:
- Master of Arts in Teaching Languages (Spanish & English) at University of Southern Mississippi
- Master's degree in applied linguistics at Universidad Nebrija in Madrid, Spain
- Master's degree in applied linguistics at Universidad de León Madrid, Spain
- Master of Arts in Foreign Languages, Cultures, and Literatures at Virginia Tech
- MS, Spanish for the Professions at Minnesota State University Mankato

I'm still researching some of these programs, but in a couple of cases I'm ready to apply. My top choice right now is Nebrija.

Thank you for your encouragement and great ideas. I will keep you posted!

Wow! I am super impressed, really. Way to reach for the stars- good for you!!
cookderosa Wrote:Wow! I am super impressed, really. Way to reach for the stars- good for you!!

Thank you, Jennifer. Nebrija has been great and that school is my first choice. Blended learning is quite common over there and I like the idea of paying for and undertaking a degree, versus paying per credit. The tuition comes in at a little under 7k once converted to dollars and monthly payments are an option.

There's quite a process but I understand admissions decisions are made quickly. So I will share the news either way.

Just reporting back here. I incorporated suggestions from the lovely folks here and was able to get two letters of recommendation. For each professor I prepared a little packet - one in English and the other in Spanish with:
- CV and letter of intent
- cover letter explaining what I need and when, what program I was applying to, how I developed my ideas in their classes
- info about the program

They both seemed happy to help. I am pleased with the results. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

ladylearner Wrote:Just reporting back here. I incorporated suggestions from the lovely folks here and was able to get two letters of recommendation. For each professor I prepared a little packet - one in English and the other in Spanish with:
- CV and letter of intent
- cover letter explaining what I need and when, what program I was applying to, how I developed my ideas in their classes
- info about the program

They both seemed happy to help. I am pleased with the results. Thanks for your suggestions, everyone!

Glad it worked out! Hope you get into your school of choice and enjoy the program!!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 30 24,746 04-16-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: dutchdragon
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 181 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 66 15,888 04-09-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,292 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,037 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 1,035 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,077 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,678 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,766 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,781 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden