Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help: MATH
hey there guys. I'm new here. so, long story short, I was informed that I need to take one additional math class in order to get my bachelor's degree. I was told on June 9th AND I have to take it this summer. In the fall of 2018 the school i attended is phasing out a part of my major so the requirements to graduate will change. It's been many years since taking any kind of math class and it was ALWAYS my worst subject to begin with. I went to straighterline.com for the Algebra I because i liked the idea of several quizzes before a final. But the algebra was just too hard. I switched to study.com because they have college math which seems a little easier. if i had more time, it wouldn't be major, but there is SOOO much info to get through in a short amount of time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking into a tutor...but still, if anyone has ideas or suggestions that would be great.
(07-17-2018, 01:00 AM)jacks Wrote: hey there guys. I'm new here. so, long story short, I was informed that I need to take one additional math class in order to get my bachelor's degree. I was told on June 9th AND I have to take it this summer. In the fall of 2018 the school i attended is phasing out a part of my major so the requirements to graduate will change. It's been many years since taking any kind of math class and it was ALWAYS my worst subject to begin with. I went to straighterline.com for the Algebra I because i liked the idea of several quizzes before a final. But the algebra was just too hard. I switched to study.com because they have college math which seems a little easier. if i had more time, it wouldn't be major, but there is SOOO much info to get through in a short amount of time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking into a tutor...but still, if anyone has ideas or suggestions that would be great.

You should see which courses your university will give you credit for. It would be a shame if you went through all the effort to take a course only to find out they won't take it.

As far as the courses go, you should try supplementing whichever course you take with videos from the Khan Academy youtube channel. Their material is pretty good. You can also check out Modern States.
> so the requirements to graduate will change.

shouldn't matter -- the requirements when you enrolled should be your requirements until you graduate no matter how many times the school changes them

you could try the CLEP College Mathematics exam
https://clep.collegeboard.org/science-an...athematics

I think this is a good book
https://www.amazon.com/Finite-Math-Dummi...119476364/

and there's plenty of books on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_...C4LJM0RMHK

and I think this site explains things really well
https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/

for example
Solving Inequalities: https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/inequ...lving.html

Standard Deviation and Variance: https://www.mathsisfun.com/data/standard-deviation.html
(07-17-2018, 01:00 AM)jacks Wrote: hey there guys. I'm new here. so, long story short, I was informed that I need to take one additional math class in order to get my bachelor's degree. I was told on June 9th AND I have to take it this summer. In the fall of 2018 the school i attended is phasing out a part of my major so the requirements to graduate will change. It's been many years since taking any kind of math class and it was ALWAYS my worst subject to begin with. I went to straighterline.com for the Algebra I because i liked the idea of several quizzes before a final. But the algebra was just too hard. I switched to study.com because they have college math which seems a little easier. if i had more time, it wouldn't be major, but there is SOOO much info to get through in a short amount of time. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking into a tutor...but still, if anyone has ideas or suggestions that would be great.

What school? Program? What math do you already have? Have you conformed that they will accept ACE credit, or which alternative credit options they will take?

And you said the school you attended vs attending - does this mean you are not actively still enrolled, therefore not locked into the the catalog you started with?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

You might check with your local community college and see if they have a summer session math course that will work. Some folks do better with an actual class and instructor. Otherwise, I think that Study.com is probably your best bet. Khan Academy is your friend for learning the material regardless of where you get the credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
I agree that even if the catalog changes, it shouldn't affect anyone already enrolled. I would ask about that.

The Applied Liberal Arts DSST would be a good choice if they will take DSST's.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 357 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 2,149 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 979 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,082 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,177 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 935 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,023 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,495 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow
  1 credit math or science ? uncapentin 3 605 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Easiest math general education options? Math avoidant 5 2,066 05-07-2022, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Math avoidant