Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help please Spanish bachelors at TESU, spreadsheet?
Hi, I just got my transfer evaluation from TESU for a Spanish major.  I just want to graduate as quickly and cheaply as possible, so I'm still open to switching majors if there are no options for testing out and study.com stuff for this major, but I just thought I'd ask.  This is what I was majoring in 20 years ago in college. 

I have heard that there is someone in this forum who knows how to make a spreadsheet showing which classes can be tested out of, etc?  Really any tips that someone can give about how to get through this more quickly and cheaper would be great.  Thank you very much in advance.

Here is the evaluation they sent me: (Not included here are 12 credits of AP English that they haven't yet received from the AP people.)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U3-H...sp=sharing
If you review your previous thread, dfrecore and I mentioned that a BALS maybe for you if there are "too many" outstanding Spanish courses required for the BA Foreign Language option. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...y-graduate

I just skimmed your google document and it shows you're missing at least 3 Spanish courses, unless you can find them cheap/easy/fast, the best option is to go for the BALS. Do yourself a favor and use the What If evaluation tool in TESU OSS, copy/paste the evaluation in here to verify that your UL AOS requirements are complete.

I would then sign up for Study.com and complete the requirements as per dfrecore's previous post. Get those courses complete and you're good to go for that degree. I think you can get this done within 6 months or less by pacing yourself and getting 3 to 4 courses done a month from Study.com
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • theduz
Thank very much for answering.  

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like it's showing 2 Spanish classes missing.  It looks like I just need one level 200 and one level 300 or higher Spanish grammar class.  I don't know if there are any online classes that can test out of that, or if I can test out of it at TESU, but I am fluent in Spanish and remember all of the grammar.  So, if there is any way to do those classes through testing, I would be able to skip right to the test.

You said: Do yourself a favor and use the What If evaluation tool in TESU OSS, copy/paste the evaluation in here to verify that your UL AOS requirements are complete.

I'm sorry to be difficult, but I don't know what this means.  I can't find a What If Evaluation tool.  Is it in the Student Menu on TESU?  I can't find it anywhere.

If it does turn out that the Spanish Major is a slower way to go, I'll be happy to switch to the BALS, but it seems to me that once they get my AP scores, this method leaves very few classes and they are classes that (if an option existed) I could test out of easily. I'm worried that for the BALS I might have fewer classes that transfer.
Well, unfortunately you came too late, and the ACTFL expired - this would have been an easy 12cr (6 UL, 6 LL) that probably would have worked for this degree.  Instead, you need SPA-202 (basically 4th semester Spanish or Intermediate Spanish II), which is easy enough to get, although not inexpensive - about $500 (or more) for a course from either U or Arkansas Self-Paced, U of Idaho Independent Study, or LSU Independent Study.

The harder part is getting the Advanced II/6th semester of Spanish, which is UL.  I don't know how to get that, other than in the university you were already enrolled in.

Here are the options as I see them: 1) take Adv Spanish II at a 4-yr school this coming semester, in addition to taking one of the above Int II courses; 2) PLA your 2 Spanish courses (I am no longer familiar with the process or pricing of that option at TESU); or 3) switch to the BALS/Humanities degree.

If I were you, I would probably complete the Spanish degree just because you are so close, and it's not going to cost many thousands of dollars to do so.  I would say that a degree in Spanish is worth somewhat more than a BALS, depending on what you want to do with the degree (if you wanted to teach high school Spanish for instance, it would be worth a lot more).

But, I will include a spreadsheet for the BALS/Hum, so you can compare it to the eval from TESU.

It's easy enough to get the 5 GE courses required for either degree, as well as the remaining Free Electives you need.

Regarding the AP courses you alluded to, I don't know what TESU gives for the AP English Language and AP English Lit courses, so I just gave you 6cr for AP English Language.  If they give 6cr additional for AP English Lit, then you can use those in Free Electives.

You could also do your required courses for GE/Free Electives, and wait to see if ACTFL courses get renewed.  There's been some talk that they may, and it would be worth waiting a couple of months while you complete the rest of your courses to see if that happens - for $105 for the ACTFL exam, it is VERY worth waiting in my opinion.

So, here's what I would do if I was in your place:
1) Take the oral comm, quant lit, info lit ethics & civic engagement requirements from wherever you want (Modern States/CLEP if you want to save money for3 plus the free ethics course).
2) Take free/cheap courses for your Free Electives
3) Register for and take the cornerstone course (and sooner rather than later - they will be switching it to a $1100 3cr class come July 1, so do it now and get it over with)
4) Register for and take the Capstone - I don't think it matters which one, they are all the same for the BALS, so you don't lose anything.
5) At this point in time, if they haven't renewed the ACTFL, then you switch to the BALS, take your remaining 2 Free Elective courses, and you're done.  If they've renewed the ACTFL, take it and get the Spanish degree.

Attached Files
.xlsx   theduz TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 50.57 KB / Downloads: 6)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Ideas, theduz
(12-26-2018, 07:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, unfortunately you came too late, and the ACTFL expired - this would have been an easy 12cr (6 UL, 6 LL) that probably would have worked for this degree.  Instead, you need SPA-202 (basically 4th semester Spanish or Intermediate Spanish II), which is easy enough to get, although not inexpensive - about $500 (or more) for a course from either U or Arkansas Self-Paced, U of Idaho Independent Study, or LSU Independent Study.

The harder part is getting the Advanced II/6th semester of Spanish, which is UL.  I don't know how to get that, other than in the university you were already enrolled in.

Here are the options as I see them: 1) take Adv Spanish II at a 4-yr school this coming semester, in addition to taking one of the above Int II courses; 2) PLA your 2 Spanish courses (I am no longer familiar with the process or pricing of that option at TESU); or 3) switch to the BALS/Humanities degree.

If I were you, I would probably complete the Spanish degree just because you are so close, and it's not going to cost many thousands of dollars to do so.  I would say that a degree in Spanish is worth somewhat more than a BALS, depending on what you want to do with the degree (if you wanted to teach high school Spanish for instance, it would be worth a lot more).

But, I will include a spreadsheet for the BALS/Hum, so you can compare it to the eval from TESU.

It's easy enough to get the 5 GE courses required for either degree, as well as the remaining Free Electives you need.

Regarding the AP courses you alluded to, I don't know what TESU gives for the AP English Language and AP English Lit courses, so I just gave you 6cr for AP English Language.  If they give 6cr additional for AP English Lit, then you can use those in Free Electives.

You could also do your required courses for GE/Free Electives, and wait to see if ACTFL courses get renewed.  There's been some talk that they may, and it would be worth waiting a couple of months while you complete the rest of your courses to see if that happens - for $105 for the ACTFL exam, it is VERY worth waiting in my opinion.

1) Take the oral comm, quant lit, info lit ethics & civic engagement requirements from wherever you want (Modern States/CLEP if you want to save money for3 plus the free ethics course).
3) Register for and take the cornerstone course (and sooner rather than later - they will be switching it to a $1100 3cr class come July 1, so do it now and get it over with)
4) Register for and take the Capstone - I don't think it matters which one, they are all the same for the BALS, so you don't lose anything.
5) At this point in time, if they haven't renewed the ACTFL, then you switch to the BALS, take your remaining 2 Free Elective courses, and you're done.  If they've renewed the ACTFL, take it and get the Spanish degree.

Dfrecore,

I'm wondering if it's possible to find grad level Spanish and send it down to TESU as UL undergrad? Also, do you know off-hand if the NYU exam would work?
(12-26-2018, 07:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Well, unfortunately you came too late, and the ACTFL expired - this would have been an easy 12cr (6 UL, 6 LL) that probably would have worked for this degree.  Instead, you need SPA-202 (basically 4th semester Spanish or Intermediate Spanish II), which is easy enough to get, although not inexpensive - about $500 (or more) for a course from either U or Arkansas Self-Paced, U of Idaho Independent Study, or LSU Independent Study.

Thank you, this is very, very helpful.  I really appreciate that you gave me a specific plan so I know what is most urgent and where to do which things.  I think I'll do what you said and get started with the cornerstone course (do I have to register as a student at the school for this?) and then start doing free classes as I wait.  

I wasn't familiar with the ACTFL, so I googled it: 

https://www.actfl.org/assessment-profess...ing-office

It seems active.  Do you mean that TESU is not currently accepting it?  Do you know how I can tell if/when it becomes available again?  

Is there a list somewhere of which classes will work for the ones I need to do first (free/cheap)?  I'm guessing they'll be the same classes listed on the BALS spreadsheet so I can look at that one to get my options. 

I'm a homeschool mom without a degree and it's time I showed my kids I can do it.  I'll never forget your kindness in helping make it happen.  Thank you!
What she means is that ACTFL no longer earns you credit, since they decided not to renew their ACE recommendation
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I don't know what the NYU Language exams count as at TESU, but I would imagine that the 12-point exam ($370) would count as SPA-101/102/201/202, so would duplicate 3 courses you already have, but MIGHT give you the 1 extra course you need (SPA-202).

The 16-point exam might have that last 4cr portion be UL, but I just don't know. You'd be much better off asking TESU about that. If it would work for SPA-302, and be UL, then it would be worth taking. The 16-pt exam is $470.

If you took the 12-pt then later wanted to take the additional 4-pt, it would be another $170 - so you're better off taking it all in 1 shot if you can. The 16-pt exam is $470.

I still say that you wait out the ACTFL for a couple of months - there's been talk here that they're thinking of renewing with ACE, in which case the exam is only $105, and we know for certain that you'll get 6cr of UL and 6cr of LL.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
Traditional online courses at a quite reasonable prices can be found through Eastern New Mexico University https://www.enmu.edu (they used to offer online courses at in-state rates if you took 6 or less credit per semester, you'd have to double check that with them)

They even have the UL Spanish Grammar - course listing can be found here: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/academic-...t-schedule
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • cookderosa
Pretty sure the 6 or less is gone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 697 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch