Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with credits for graduation
Long time lurker, soon to graduate and already accepted into a masters program. Thanks for all the advice and information here.

I'm taking the capstone and cornerstone now. So far it's hard but manageable. I also have good teachers, which helps a lot. My current major is a BA in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Natural Science and Mathematics. 

I also realized I'm painfully close to a BA in Psychology. I think I need 2 or 3 classes to finish this degree. My evaluation says I'm "in progress" for the social psychology requirement. I transferred in PSY 400, which is 3 credits but they seem to want a 6 credit social psych class. Do I need another class for that requirement? 

I'm also looking at the ASNSM in Biology (just because I like science, I guess.) On my evaluation is says that no credits are to be planned but it also says I need bio II with a lab. So, do I need the bio class?

Can I get all of the degrees? I think the BA in liberal studies and the asnsm in bio are likely useless and just for fun.
A BALS and a BA Psych would be considered "one degree" by TESU if you graduate with them at the same time. So you could certainly get both if you wanted to. You could also add in the ASNSM Biology and, yes, if you don't have Bio II w/ lab then you would need Bio II w/ lab.

Planned credits are credits that you've told your advisor that you're going to take, so they get put on your evaluation for you.

In order to help you find the right classes, can you take screenshots of your current evaluations/what-if evaluations for all 3 degrees (BALS, Psych, ASNSM Biology) without any personal information and upload them here? I recommend using the FireShot browser extension for this but you can do it in whatever way is easiest for you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • darkmatter
To try to keep this neat I'll make a new reply for each degree. This is the BA Psych. I'm also uploading screenshots of Sophia classes I've completed and transferred but haven't been evaluated yet.

This is the BA LS with concentration in math and natural science. I think the Sophia classes I'm transferring in will take care of the 9 credits I need.

Edited to add: Oops, so I apparently replied to myself or something. The attachments labeled bals are for the BA LS. The first two attachments are Sophia classes (I'm sorry for not labeling better.) and attachments 2 - 5 are the BA in Psych.

The third round is the ASNSM in Bio. They're labeled bio.

Out of sheer curiosity, could I get undergraduate certificates with my credits? And if so, are there more fees? Would there be any additional graduation fees/residency waivers/etc for the ASNSM if I decided to get it? I assume that I can get the BALS and the BA Psych for "free" since they're both considered one degree.

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot from 2021-08-16 07-15-52.png (Size: 219.41 KB / Downloads: 11)
.png   Screenshot from 2021-08-16 07-16-08.png (Size: 163.06 KB / Downloads: 9)
.png   Screenshot from 2021-08-16 07-14-00.png (Size: 48.79 KB / Downloads: 8)
.png   Screenshot from 2021-08-16 07-14-28.png (Size: 33.1 KB / Downloads: 7)
.png   Screenshot from 2021-08-16 07-15-15.png (Size: 62.73 KB / Downloads: 8)
.png   bals.png (Size: 48.92 KB / Downloads: 5)
.png   bals2.png (Size: 118.5 KB / Downloads: 4)
.png   bio1.png (Size: 48.32 KB / Downloads: 4)
.png   bio.png (Size: 162.7 KB / Downloads: 4)
For the Psych degree:
Your social sciences requirement should be met with the Sophia Micro/Macroeconomics and/or US History that you've taken.

The missing psych credits will depend on how many UL courses you already have. You MUST have 15 UL credits in the AOS + the capstone for a total of 18 UL credits.

Experimental Psychology: "Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology" at SDC (LL) or the UExcel Research Methods in Psychology (UL)

Social Psychology: Psychology 104 or Psychology 316 at Study.com (LL) or ask if you can transfer in the Social Psychology UExcel. This would be UL credit but I'm not sure what it transfers in as so it could duplicate the PSY-400 class you already have.

The UExcels are RA credit so, if you are low on those, you might want to take them even if you don't actually need the UL credits.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
  • darkmatter
(08-16-2021, 06:30 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For the Psych degree:
Your social sciences requirement should be met with the Sophia Micro/Macroeconomics and/or US History that you've taken.

The missing psych credits will depend on how many UL courses you already have. You MUST have 15 UL credits in the AOS + the capstone for a total of 18 UL credits.

Experimental Psychology: "Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology" at SDC (LL) or the UExcel Research Methods in Psychology (UL)

Social Psychology: Psychology 104 or Psychology 316 at Study.com (LL) or ask if you can transfer in the Social Psychology UExcel. This would be UL credit but I'm not sure what it transfers in as so it could duplicate the PSY-400 class you already have.

The UExcels are RA credit so, if you are low on those, you might want to take them even if you don't actually need the UL credits.

Thank you for all this info! It's all super helpful. 

Most of my credits were from a decade ago and are RA, so I'm good there. If I counted right, I have 27 UL AOS credits. Screenshot added just in case it's helpful.

ETA:
So, if I understand correctly, I don't need the other 3 credits for the social psych but do need the research methods in psych and ethics in social science.

Attached Files
.png   psych1.png (Size: 153.66 KB / Downloads: 7)
.png   psych2.png (Size: 170.3 KB / Downloads: 7)
.png   psych3.png (Size: 122.15 KB / Downloads: 6)
You have more than enough UL credit, yep! Go ahead and grab Psych 104 and Psych 105 from SDC and get your Psychology degree! Big Grin Both of those courses only have the quizzes and the exam, so you should be able to knock them out pretty quickly.

Ethics in the Social Sciences would be Social Science 108 at Study.com. This is a separate requirement from the gen ed ethics requirement. Social Science 108 is also a course with no papers; just the quizzes and the exam. You might be able to get all 3 done during the same month for a total of about $270.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • darkmatter
(08-16-2021, 06:45 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You have more than enough UL credit, yep! Go ahead and grab Psych 104 and Psych 105 from SDC and get your Psychology degree! Big Grin Both of those courses only have the quizzes and the exam, so you should be able to knock them out pretty quickly.

Ethics in the Social Sciences would be Social Science 108 at Study.com. This is a separate requirement from the gen ed ethics requirement. Social Science 108 is also a course with no papers; just the quizzes and the exam. You might be able to get all 3 done during the same month for a total of about $270.

Thank you so much for all this help! I really appreciate it. A major degree seems more useful than a BALS degree. Do I need to tell TESU to change my major? 

I have to apply for graduation by the end of next month, so I'm sort of cutting this close. I'm on top of my classes, though, so I think I can fit these psych classes in.

Out of curiosity, can I get undergrad certificates with my credits and double dip? You see, I have nothing on my walls and some diplomas would really liven up the place. lol

Anyways, thank you so much!
How much time do you have left on your capstone? Are you almost done? Did you just start? I know that if you take the Psychology degree normally then you have to do a Major Field Test. This is not a requirement for a BALS degree. I'm not sure how they'd react to you changing majors mid-capstone. It's possible that this could delay your graduation but I can't say that it 100% will.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
  • darkmatter
(08-16-2021, 07:01 AM)rachel83az Wrote: How much time do you have left on your capstone? Are you almost done? Did you just start? I know that if you take the Psychology degree normally then you have to do a Major Field Test. This is not a requirement for a BALS degree. I'm not sure how they'd react to you changing majors mid-capstone. It's possible that this could delay your graduation but I can't say that it 100% will.

There's 6 weeks left to the capstone. Thanks for reminding me about the major field test. That's sort of intimidating. It looks like it's 3 weeks away, so I'll send the academic advisors an email and see what they say. Hopefully I'm good to go and I can knock out those SDC classes.
Interesting, that's awesome, you're so close to both the BA Psych and BALS NSM. You're just one course away from the ASNSM Biology, have you looked at "where" you want to finish the degree requirements? Where have you decided to take the final course in Biology from? Are you thinking of paying the residency waiver fee or are you planning to take those 16 credits? Last but not least, to answer your question, yes - you can get some certificates along with the residency waiver fee. There is an extra $100 for each certificate...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 637 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 224 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 343 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 512 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU Max Credit Transfer and graduation speed? ecdw94 3 793 02-01-2024, 07:05 AM
Last Post: jch
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 533 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,449 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
  When to apply for graduation? Kones 1 250 01-06-2024, 02:13 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 647 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 835 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM